wifes hatting the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
One year, my wife did not want to go to Sturgis Bike Rally, so an employee went with me. Cute young thing. My wife loaned her chaps, vest, and off we went. I was a gentleman and the trip was quite boring, up until I sprained my ankle and we came back early. My wife thinks I would not have gotten hurt had she gone, and she stays closer now.

Click Thumbnail​

Sep 5, 2010
MacGregor 23 Eden & Morehead City, NC
I AM the wife lol. My older sister gave us her vn23 when she moved from the coast. We're working on it. Can't wait to get out on it! I've at least BEEN sailing. My husband has never set foot on a sailboat in the water. We have a LOT to learn. Together. We're in North Carolina and found sailing classes at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. Looking forward to getting out in the Beaufort and OBX waters :) yippee!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
MissNola said:
I AM the wife lol. My older sister gave us her vn23 when she moved from the coast. We're working on it. Can't wait to get out on it! I've at least BEEN sailing. My husband has never set foot on a sailboat in the water. We have a LOT to learn. Together. We're in North Carolina and found sailing classes at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. Looking forward to getting out in the Beaufort and OBX waters :) yippee!
You folks have a great time! The first day out you learn 80% of everything you need to have a safe and enjoyable sport that will serve you a whole lifetime. That extra 20%, takes your lifetime to learn. That was nice of your sister to give you a sailboat!

My wives sister has made a point of telling is, when she visits this summer SHE IS NOT SAILING with us. Lol. Some people just do not get it under their skin, and do not want it there.

Nola is a wonderful name! I went to School with a Nola. K to 2. She was very good with scissors and was the teachers pet. All art projects were headed up by Nola.

What John Wayne western has a Nola in it? extra points: Nola's Son's name was what in the movie and what did he keep breaking and how many?

Dec 16, 2011
MacGregor 25 swing keel Torch Lake MI
My wife can't stand the boat, she hates everything about it. She hates the rigging up, the leaning over in the wind, the rigging down, driving on the trailer. I do everything my self, including sailing alone. She says why i didnt get something different. But i love sailing. The few times she went we fight the whole time. If we bring company im going to make her stay in the trk while i rig & derig. Anyone els same problem?
I have worked very hard to make sure my wife has little to do but get on board and read her books. I did stop trailering and have the baot permanetly moored. this cut down on a tremedous amount of work for me. I also keep the sails reefed and try to sial as flat as possible. We also do a large amount of drifting and motoring. Sometime I refer to the boat as a barge. But there is pease between us and after 35 years it works. Good Luck.

Dec 15, 2011
Oday 20 SF Bay Area/Monterey Bay
Boat too small
Does not trust you as skipper
Afraid of water
Claustrophobia

Find some ways to experiment.... Maybe RENT a sailboat as a 'dock charter' for a weekend in a fun town. Many charterers offer this. You never leave the dock, but you spend time on a bigger boat, and see this sights on land. Make some good memories. Get her on a bigger boat. Minimize the things she might not like.
I've taken this one step further.

Chartering a skippered larger boat in a new area you would like to try. While you're at it try chartering a powerboat and see if she likes that better? Sacrilege in a sailing forum but there are as many options for getting on the water as there are locations to do it. A skipper also removes the perception of poor seamanship from the equation. It really is nice to enjoy the water and leave the driving to someone else from time to time.

We have quickly found variety truly is the spice of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.