WIDE OPEN, HAMMER DOWN, TP52 MATCH RACING WOW!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
check out interviews of Quantums series win last year. The organization, reviews and on-course analysis from chase boats is incredible. They are measuring millimeters from a chase boat!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have to give Quantum kudos for getting out there in real competition with their brand all over. Good for them!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Doug DeVos is an interesting guy. Heir the the Amway fortune in Michigan, he bought Quantum sails, and then formed the Quantum Racing team to promote them. Normally companies like North Sails just sell sails and promote the victors. But no one wanted the Quantums. Now they do. T-Hutch is a great QB for the team. You can see him calling tactics, and adjusting the runners.

DeVos is also half of the Midwest Mafia behind the NYC AC Bid, the other guy being Hap Fauth from Minneapolis. Better known of course of world-champion Maxi team Bella Mente. They guys know how to organize sailing teams.

The TP52 has interesting history. From its roots as a sturdy boat designed for off-shore TransPac racing, to a Med-inspired Audi-Cup daysailor that crews did not want to to take off-shore, to the current middle-ground boat that races in the Super-52 series. Gotta has deep pockets to play that game!

Oh minor note, they are fleet racing. Match racing involves only two boats. Totally different game. You sail to win in fleet racing, In match racing you sail to not lose.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Jack, I was participating in a trophy ceremony for TP52's and PAC52's. I can't recall the distinction; they used to race together, but this time they split into two classes. One of the TP guys told me they put an "interior" and tankage for offshore work but it gets left off for buoy racing. Amazing to watch how professional they are. One of the boats looked familiar; it was a former Quantum boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jack, I was participating in a trophy ceremony for TP52's and PAC52's. I can't recall the distinction; they used to race together, but this time they split into two classes. One of the TP guys told me they put an "interior" and tankage for offshore work but it gets left off for buoy racing. Amazing to watch how professional they are. One of the boats looked familiar; it was a former Quantum boat.
Yep, the PAC52s are 3rd-gen TPs with bigger rigs, designed for the lighter SoCal airs. In most moderate conditions they will be faster.