WHY WE CELEBRATE MEMORIAL DAY

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Great post!

...and for those who've not been to Arlington, or Normandy, or Belleau Wood, or Pearl, suggest you put it on your bucket list...certainly puts things into proper perspective (and well above all the crap in today's "news")! Semper Fi!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I read that the Pearl Harbor memorial is closed indefinitely until they can repair the structural problem. A pity it happened now of all times.
It's good to see the news about using DNA techniques to identify and bring home remains of our military who died so long ago for a proper burial with full honors.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It's hard to compose a post that does justice to the most revered patriots whose lives were cut short by war. But I offer my deepest sympathy for those heroes and the loved ones they left behind. And for the families that have loved ones wounded and who suffer the consequences for another generation or longer. I also offer my most heartfelt gratitude for the sacrifice of the dead and wounded of all our wars. I finally hope that the human race can rise above warfare.
My brother Bob partners with actor Gary Sinise on occassion to honor the troops in any way they can. One such event was at the Kennedy Center, a "Christmas Salute to the Troops" production. In addressing the audience, Bob said " we honor all those who are over there doing what THEY do so we can be over here doing what WE do". Amen, Brother.