Why the race to the bottom....?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Unions have a lot to do with it.
Strong unions are created by greedy arrogant management. (strictly IMHO)
I have seen local corporations that avoided all unionizing by paying a decent wage and using profit sharing. Not very many corporations, unfortunately.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Maybe we can convince Honda to start building Sailboats? :)
The only swoopy lines I want to see on a boat is the 1959 Glass Magic "Playmaster" with the "big Johnson" 35hp motor that someday will present itself for purchase. (Hopefully not in Florida either, but you know we're up for that roadtrip too)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would to point out that I really don't need my snow blower to work. The mere fact that I bought it at the end of the season is insurance that we won't get enough snow to ever use it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Honda profits don't stay in the USA either :confused:
http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=HMC

Don't be naïve. Anyone can purchase Honda Motor Corp stock..... Your retirement fund probably owns some. The fact is that Honda keeps more profits in the US to plough back into their factories' modernizations, more than many US headquartered corps that send their manufacturing offshore.

Uhmm let me think, how many of you have bought discounted sails such as Rolly Tasker ..... guess where they are made????

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Don't be naïve. Anyone can purchase Honda Motor Corp stock..... Your retirement fund probably owns some. The fact is that Honda keeps more profits in the US to plough back into their factories' modernizations, more than many US headquartered corps
Maybe not said in a very gracious way but Joe's right. More money is spent on workers wages, plant costs and local material & supplies than are taken back to Japan. Besides, wealthy Japanese business men often buy American made yachts. We should lament the disregard for quality American companies, any companies, have. It is a sign of their lack of respect for their customers.
- Will (Dragonfly)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This is an interesting post over at the snowblower forum:
http://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...scussion/1364-made-usa-versus-made-china.html
sscotsman;9774 said:

(Note! the post below is the state of the industry in January 2013.
For the most recent update, Autumn 2017, click here.)

I have been tracking this for a few years now..
here is the update for 2013:

The State of Snowblower evolution, 2013 model year.

Tecumseh snowblower engines, up to 2008, were always made in the USA. Briggs & Stratton engines were made in the USA for the majority of its history. Around the year 2000 (perhaps earlier in the 90’s) Briggs began their smaller gas engines in China.

Up until 2008, probably 90% of snowblowers were 100% American-made, both the snowblower body, and the engine both. Tecumseh had the majority of the snowblower engine market before 2008, and Briggs was still making their larger engines in the USA. Only the smaller Briggs engines were made in China.

Tecumseh pulled out of the small gas engine business in 2008. 2009 was the last model year that snowblowers were commonly found with Tecumseh engines on them. (2009 model year were machines that went on sale in the Autumn of 2008)

Since 2008, Production of small gas engines has moved to China in a huge way.
In 2008, perhaps 90% of snowblowers had American-made engines on them.
Only 5 years later, in 2013, probably 90% have Chinese-made engines. And the percentage of American-made engines continues to drop. Soon it will likely be 100% Chinese engines on all snowblowers, lawnmowers, garden tractors, and anything with a small gas single-cylinder engine.

Brand names with American-made snowblower bodies, and *some* American-made engines:
(the last remaining 100% made in the USA snowblowers)

Ariens - Three models remaining in the 2013 lineup with American-made Briggs engines:
12V Pro 32, Platinum 30, Deluxe 30.
The rest of the models have Chinese engines.

Beginning this year, 2013 model year, "Made in the USA" stickers have appeared on engines of Ariens machines, which have the USA-made engines:

(im not sure if Ariens added the stickers, or if Briggs did.)
But this is the first model year those stickers have been seen on those engines, a handy spotting feature!

Snapper - (made by Briggs & Stratton)
Three models remaining in the 2013 lineup with American-made Briggs engines:
M1529E, H1528E, H1730E.

Simplicity - (made by Briggs & Stratton)
Four models remaining in the 2013 lineup with American-made Briggs engines:
H1528E, H1730E, P1524E, P1728E.

The Briggs brands are using the old Simplicity and Murray designs for their snowblowers.
Since 2005, the Briggs names have included Simplicity, Snapper, Murray, John Deere,
and Brute. John Deere and Murray snowblowers are no longer being made. And Brute
is 100% Chinese engines.

Husqvarna - The evolutionary successor to the old AYP snowblower line.
One model remaining with an American-made Briggs engine.
14527E
Husqvarna also makes Polan snowblowers, Poulan has 100% Chinese engines.

That makes Eleven total snowblower models in 2013, from three manufacturers (Ariens, Briggs and Husqvarna) that are still 100% American made, both the snowblower, and the engine both. And the percentage drops every year. Soon it is likely we will have all Chinese engines on all snowblowers.

Brand names with American-made snowblower bodies, and all Chinese-made engines, (as of 2013)

MTD brands (Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, most Craftsman) - all Chinese engines. (starting in 2012)

Toro - All Chinese Engines. (starting in 2013)

Brand names that are 100% made in China:
In addition to Chinese engines on American-made snowblowers, we are now also seeing 100% Chinese made snowblowers, both the snowblower body, and the engine both. The following brands are known to be 100% Chinese built:

Stanley
World Lawn
Snow Beast
Huskee
Powerland
Snow Joe

The 100% American made snowblower (and lawnmower, and riding mower, and garden tractor) is fading fast..get them while you still can!

Which engines are the remaining American-made engines? Only three US-made snowblower engines remain:

Briggs & Stratton 305cc 1450 Series
Briggs & Stratton 342cc 1550 Series
Briggs & Stratton 342cc 1650 Series.

ALL other snowblower engines, including all Briggs engines except those three models, are made in China..(the exception being perhaps Honda snowblowers, who perhaps still makes some Honda engines in Japan, and China as well.)

But there are definitely only three remaining US-made engines.
(source for that info is “Snowmann” on the forums, who is known to work for Ariens,
He posted that info about the Briggs engines a few years ago.)

Other sources: Ariens 2013 brochure, Toro 2013 brochure, Cub Cadet brochure, other MTD brand webpages, Briggs & Stratton brand (Simplicity, Snapper) webpages, Husqvarna webpage.

Disclaimer 1 - yes, I know..someone will bring it up! ;) I am aware that when I say “100% American-made snowblower, both the snowblower body and engine both” that is not *literally* 100% true! Because some *parts* are made overseas..The American-made Briggs engine likely has parts made in China inside of it, and perhaps the “Made in America” snowblowers do as well! But im not concerned about that.
This is my criteria:
If its made in a factory on US soil, by US workers, then im calling it “Made in the USA”
If its made in a factory on Chinese soil, by Chinese workers, then im calling it “Made in China”
Im not concerned with the exact origin of every last nut and bolt.

Disclaimer 2 - the above information is likely incomplete! Especially the “100% made in China snowblower” data..there are probably several brand names I am missing. Also, The above list primarily focuses on 2-stage snowblowers, because it is believed that 100% of Single-Stage snowblower engines are made in China, and have been for some time.

If anyone has any corrections or additions to this list, please let me know!
I have been tracking snowblower evolution since 2009, (and all the way back to 1960! With my Ariens webpage) and I will try to update this list every January.

Thanks,
Scot

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I haven't bought a snowblower, yet. When we finally can't shovel, at least I'll know what not to buy.
View attachment 144825
Wow Tom.! Does that picture bring back memories. When we lived in Surry we would get snow like that and I would make paths all around the house with my snowblower so the dogs would have places to run around and do their thing.......We got through it.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Wow Tom.! Does that picture bring back memories. When we lived in Surry we would get snow like that and I would make paths all around the house with my snowblower so the dogs would have places to run around and do their thing.......We got through it.
About a decade ago around the holidays, I found this family in Rockport Harbor. They had just sailed in from the Netherlands.
Holland cruising family.jpg

The little girls in snowsuits, shoveled the dock(they brought their own shovels).
Family Holland crop.jpg

They were headed down the coast. When I asked the Dad if I could help with any info, he replied, "Thank you, but we've done this before".

They left presents on the docks...
Snowmen from Holland.jpg

...and a sense of humor.
Holland snowman.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My father-in-law had an old hand tractor that was just a motor with handles on a pair of wheels. You could attach a tiller or a snow blower or use it to pull a small stump. How about an outboard's lower unit and it could also act as auxiliary power when coming into port.
- Will (Dragonfly)