Why in the world?

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST

Granted the Irwin 42 that this is mounted upon doesn't suffer much visually because of this but really?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Call me a redneck; I don't care. It's more a reflection on you than on me. I love the upper deck! I love the creativity and the "I don't give a crap about you haters" attitude that was required to build it. I can think of at least two legitimately good reasons for that rig, Can't you?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
All you have to do is look at the hailing port. 'Nuff said. :)
Having spent considerable time there, this would hardly merit a second glance.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
One of the ways to get a view in Florida. Good way to find how to get out of the mangroves.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Call me a redneck; I don't care. It's more a reflection on you than on me. I love the upper deck! I love the creativity and the "I don't give a crap about you haters" attitude that was required to build it. I can think of at least two legitimately good reasons for that rig, Can't you?
Nope, not for chairs, anyway. For solar panels and a couple of windgens, leaving out the railings perhaps, but as a place to hang out, not so much.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Would not have been my choice ... but, that's someone's baby and they think it's beautiful. I'd hate for someone to take a picture of my boat (house, car, wife, etc.) and make fun of any of it. They're what I wanted, and I have many happy memories, just like you folks do of your boat.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm just wondering where the wet bar is installed and if the house bank can handle a hot-tub pump jet...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
We all have our own kind of crazy. I will laugh at mine with you anytime... hmmm... now where did I leave it?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
I know of great sailing buddies that after a time & as they aged,
they made a change in the way they boat.

Several of my pals simply traded out their rag-hanging boats to trawler type boats.
Their physical qualities may have diminished somewhat, but not so their passion for boating.
Changing from sail to a trawler, the speed still feels as close to a sailing experience as you can get in
many of their eyes.

If looking for proof & at a marina, if you see an older guy with a trawler, stop & talk to him.
Mention this thread & you may be surprised that he was originally a sailor first for years......

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Nope, not for chairs, anyway. For solar panels and a couple of windgens, leaving out the railings perhaps, but as a place to hang out, not so much.
Regular chairs instead of low-back benches, better breeze, better view - excellent place to hang out.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I saw something similar on the ICW in Fl. The fully enclosed balcony was on top of the center cockpit hardtop which necessitated removing the boom.