why I love sailing in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john

In October I am aware that any sail might be my last before winter sets in. I don't tend to worry about technique or equipment, I don't stress about how well my rig is tuned or if it is possible to go half a knot faster. I savor the moment, and I want it to last forever. It's like on the last day of vacation when you have the car all loaded up and the kids are waiting and you have to get back on time so you can get a good night's sleep before work tomorrow, but you walk back to the lake and just look at for a few more minutes before you go. September was not great for me for sailing. I was really busy, and when I had a few minutes it was either terrible rain or no wind at all. September 30th both of our children had a sleep over at a friend's house, so for the first time in 10 years we woke up on October 1st with no children in our house. I loaded the kayak on the roof of the car and woke my wife up at 7:00AM "we have just enough time to paddle around the lake before we have to get the kids." I have been sailing twice since then, both were gorgeous. I hope I can spend all summer next year sailing as if it's October. John

Attachments

L

lugeman

nice post john

Being a fellow Mich. sailor I can relate!! I had one of those moments this when the wind was out of the east hard, maybe 15 to 25, and getting away from the yacht club dock here in Muskegon was not easy. Full power and bouncing down the dock, my wife pushing with all her might, and finally, we clawed off the dock. Doesn't sound like glory yet, eh! Well the same east wind made Lake Michigan as smooth as glass!! Wow, we could have gone north to the bridge or south to Chicago and never needed to touch the helm. Just perfect! Savor the flavor! Pray for Wind, Lugeman

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Went Sunday

John, You are so right. The wife and I sailed our 170 on the bay Sunday. Really nice day. Then we pulled it out for the season, before it gets cold. I remember last year we sailed in October on the river one time and after that it was cold and wet. Now we have "Purr'n" home in the shop getting her ready for winter storage. I can begin focusing on selling her and buying a bigger boat for next year. I'd like something about 23-25 feet that we can weekend on and witness some sunsets like Steve. JerryA

J

john Kivel

what a difference a day makes

Did I really just post this yesterday?? I knew there was snow in the forecast but it never quite seems real until it actually piles up on the sidewalk. It snowed most of the day today, not cold enough for it to accumulate, but we had a pretty good dusting on the ground several times before the sun peeked back out and melted it away. I am still hoping to sail again this season, this is really cold for this time of year, I am hopeful that we will get a warm snap later in the month, the forecast holds little promise. Did I mention that at marina where I keep my boat the "boat launch" is more like a beach? No one has a motor, you wade in waist deep water from your hoist to the mooring bouy so you can rig, or walk the boat up the beach so you can pull it out. So the downside of October sailing is that I will be pretty numb by the time I get her back on the trailer. Still, if I have another decent day I will not waste it pulling the boat out, not without a good sail first!!!! john

J

Jeff

Hoist?

John, Do you hoist your boat off of the trailer to launch? The sailing club I belong to has a hoist and this winter I was going to investigate what it would take to be able to do this with mine. If you do hoist, tell me how this is accomplisted. Do you attach a bridle to the chain plate attachment points and the aft mooring cleats? That is where I am thinking would be the best. Where is the balance point? At my club, we actually keep our boats at the water edge fully rigged and hoist into the water. I have been keeping my mast down and driving over to the ramp 3 miles away to launch.

J

john Kivel

wrong hoist

In the marina at Portage Lake we keep our boats on hoists. So it is not like a launching thing, it's a part of the slip at the marina. With the boats on hoists (or lifts) you can sardine them in closer together in the marina. It is also better for the boat than to be floating all summer - keeps the hull out of the water. So you get to the lake and crank your boat down, then walk it out to the mooring to rig it, then sail away. It's a great system May through September. I am going sailing this afternoon if the weather holds up, and I am sure my legs will be numb by the time I get to the mooring bouy! I am fairly sure today will be my last sail of the season, we are required to have them out of the water on Sunday so they can take the hoists out of the water starting on Monday. I will check the long range forecast to see if there is anything promising before I decide to put it to bed for the winter or keep it handy for an early November sail. John

J

Jeff

Got ya

OK John, I know what you are talking about now. I have actually been to your club and seen the hoists you are refering to. I did not know you were on Portage Lake. I went there once to test drive a Hobie Getaway. Real nice club. I had lunch there before my sail. I am on Diamond Lake in cassopolis. It is a little bit bigger than portage at around 1000 acres, but both of our lakes are nice for sailing. Maybe some day you will come sail on Diamond. Our club is not nearly as nice looking as yours, but it is still nice. I guess I will check with my dealership about hoisting the boat (with a crane). If he doesn't have any good ideas, maybe I will contact the dealership across the street from your club. Have a good final sail. I am out for the year. I found a good inside storage place for the boat and I want to get in there for a good spot. Jeff

J

john

probably last one

I went sailing yesterday (October 18th) and took my boat out of the water. I have not done my winter chores yet, because I am still hoping for one more sail. I had decided that if the weather was decent next Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday I might just play hookey and head to Irish Hills or something. The forecast is for snow all three days! I am still hopeful that we will see 60 degrees (maybe even 70) before winter, but as the weeks go by my odds are getting worse and worse. It was a good October, I sailed more in October than I did in September. And Hey Jeff, I went to a high school football game in Edwardsburg once (I knew the band director), that is pretty close to Cassopolis, isn't it?? Nice part of the state, and I haven't been down there much. We took US 12 all the way from Ypsilanti to Edwardsburg, saw a lot of cool little towns and spent just about all day in the car! I would like to get down your way next summer, I'll put diamond lake on my list. John

J

Jeff

Edwardsburg

Yeah, Edwardsburg is about 15 miles south of Cassopolis. It is a nice area. I would like to have some bigger lakes to sail on im my backyard. I grew up sailing on Higgins Lake in Roscommon, but Diamond is real nice. Hope I see you there some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.