Why don't more boaters use polypropylene or polyester dinghy painters?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's so strange to try to tie to a dinghy dock and see the following: 1) dinghies tied close on 3-ft painters; thus, preventing others from access to the bull rail; and 2) dinghies tied with double braid nylon lines that get sopping wet while being handled. Standing there watching some "boater" wrapping the soggy line several times around the bull rail, apparently to shorten it, is bizarre. With 3-strand polypro you can wrap bull rail once or twice and then just pass the bitter end once or twice through the strands (as in a splice) and it will hold very well. It's quick, easy, and comparatively dry. A long painter (as it should be) will not sink to catch on the OBs of the other boats around, etc. Based on my visit to Isthmus Cove this past weekend, I'd estimate that fewer than half of boaters either know or practice the "etiquette" of tying to a dinghy dock.:doh:

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
So, I used to use poly and then switched to nylon for the dink tow and have water ski floats on them (bridle). I switched to nylon because it seems a lot more stretchy than the poly I was using. However, for the painter, I confess to using what I had left over years ago. You have now embarrassed me adequately to get some three-strand poly and use it; your comments about fouling on other boats is well taken. FYI, I do two turns on the rail and have a SS clip on the end to use instead of a knot.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's the STUFF
It's more convenient to use 3-strand for tying off. As I said, just stuff the bitter end back through the lay once or twice--no need to tie knots. Make a (3-strand) Sailmaker's Back Splice at the bitter end and stuff that back through the lay; it won't come out. That's what I've done.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
So, I used to use poly and then switched to nylon for the dink tow and have water ski floats on them (bridle).
Rick I tried the water ski bridle and tow rope (poly) also. Worked fine until I got into 5ft wind chop rounding Dungeness Spit. The ski bridle had a plastic block that broke at the worst time. Fortunately, I was able to recover the dinghy and now use the same poly line without the ski bridle.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I use a manufactured tow bridle made for tow behind floats etc. I wrapped a safety line around the plastic block just in case it broke. I also make sure to lubricate the two hooks and associated spring hardware with a water displacement lubricant before use. They last on average about 6-8 years before I need to replace them. I store them away when not in use to protect from UV rays. As far as using a line to tie to the dingy dock I confess to using an old double braid dock line but it is 15 ft long and I don't find it a problem at the cove. Sorry if that doesn't meet the approval of the dingy dock police.:cowbell:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's more convenient to use 3-strand for tying off. As I said, just stuff the bitter end back through the lay once or twice--no need to tie knots. Make a (3-strand) Sailmaker's Back Splice at the bitter end and stuff that back through the lay; it won't come out. That's what I've done.
That's true for sure. I guess you pick your conveniences!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As far as using a line to tie to the dingy dock I confess to using an old double braid dock line but it is 15 ft long and I don't find it a problem at the cove.
I asked why not use a floating polypropylene line instead of dock line--and your answer is "it is 15 ft long and I don't find it a problem at the cove." But does anybody else--even if not a "policeman?" There is no practical or tenable reason to use a sinking dockline as a dinghy painter over one that floats, IMHO. To contribute to having many docklines drooping in the water near a bunch of boats using, or attempting to use, outboard engines is not all that considerate of one's fellow boaters. The only way those owners can prevent drooping is to tie up close--which brings me back to my first point of annoyance above--or float the line using floats. Why not use one that already floats?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I had one that floats. It ended up wrapped around an outboard that someone lifted out of the water using their electric tilt. they dropped their motor back in the water and then practically sank my old dingy. I guess no matter what you do someone will be unhappy. I was trying to make light of the situation.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I had one that floats. It ended up wrapped around an outboard that someone lifted out of the water using their electric tilt. they dropped their motor back in the water and then practically sank my old dingy. I guess no matter what you do someone will be unhappy. I was trying to make light of the situation.
Good point! That must have been a power boater! I rarely see engines lifted at the Cove dinghy dock, but then I don't go often. Only my 3rd or 4th visit in the past 4 1/2 yr.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You have now embarrassed me adequately to get some three-strand poly and use it; your comments about fouling on other boats is well taken. FYI, I do two turns on the rail and have a SS clip on the end to use instead of a knot.
Aw--what are friends for?;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our dink is our lifeline to shore. I want all the connections to it to be secure, as in SPLICED. I also want the knots to hold, even if some drunk unties it for some reason and reties it. Polypo does neither of these things well. We use ½" double braid for the bow line, spliced to the bow eye, but it is hardly 3' long. I like it long enough to go from the boat anchored near the beach, to a tree or many places now have lines on the beach to tie your dink to if you are anchoring it. Sure, it gets wet and the sand has to be well rinsed off it, but at least I know my knots will hold.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You are really going to hate me - I use a 12 ft section of covered 5/32" rigging wire w/eye crimps on each end, and a padlock to tie up at the dink dock.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Our dink is our lifeline to shore. I want all the connections to it to be secure, as in SPLICED. I also want the knots to hold, even if some drunk unties it for some reason and reties it. Polypo does neither of these things well. We use ½" double braid for the bow line, spliced to the bow eye, but it is hardly 3' long. I like it long enough to go from the boat anchored near the beach, to a tree or many places now have lines on the beach to tie your dink to if you are anchoring it. Sure, it gets wet and the sand has to be well rinsed off it, but at least I know my knots will hold.
As I said, tie your knot if you wish, then pass the bitter end through the lay of the 3-strand rope a couple of times. It will hold, especially if there is back splice at the end. (But, I admit--that is not drunk proof.)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You are really going to hate me - I use a 12 ft section of covered 5/32" rigging wire w/eye crimps on each end, and a padlock to tie up at the dink dock.
I doubt we'll ever be tied to the same dock!!