Why did they mount keel hangers inside out

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 22 Lake Mead
I had an early 70's C-22 many years ago (the boat was old then- HA) and we took the keel off and faired it, and hung it back the way it came out.

So I recently drove up about 12 hours (one way) to check out a cheap (not the right word) 1978 C-22. I did not pay attention to the keel hanger pivot housing. I just looked at the condition of the keel and knew it didn't need near the work that old keel needed- if any.

My question is- why did people reverse the pivot hanger (so the pin is below the hull line)? Was there some 'racing' upgrade that was popular? An article in a club newsletter? I can't imagine they would just accidentally forget how to re install it.

I really don't want to mess with the keel- unless there is a convincing reason to drop it and reverse the pin.

I hope the pics tell a story- I'm not one to document everything I do (but I do enjoy reading others who take the time!)

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My 83 is the same way, did not catch it before i launched it because I had never seen another one out of the water before. I will switch mine out on next haul, too busy sailing it right now! Supposedly the keel raising system had been recently done before I bought it per the PO. It was solid, went up and down and worked fine so left it as is. Only when I started posting pix on my thread did Don Boyko remark on it.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 22 Lake Mead
Sounds like I've got a new project to add to the list. At least the bolts look clean and should be easy to pull out.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 22 Lake Mead
In reading thru the Catalina O2006 technical owners manual- I found what I think may be the reason people but the hangers upside down. There is an image that - thru my eyes at least- they have it backwards. It could be that some people relied on this image. I have seen dumber things...

Look closely at figure 1

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.27.39 PM.png

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That drawing definitely makes it look upside down.
Of course when you remove the hanger, and see the recess where the pin is, it becomes obvious how it is designed.