Who uses an anchor roller?

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Don! What is wrong with your pop top?

Coolest thing ever how? ....

Now want a roller! Yay! Boat bucks!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I would personally use 15' for a 22' boat. In the sea I would go for over 15'! These guys don't seem to understand: its the chain that makes the anchor set! (Along with a good Skipper) Chief
Exactly.

A rule of thumb I've always heard was the chain should be as long as your boat.
It's not exactly right but it's a simple to remember guideline.

Personally, I'm a fan of an all chain rode with the just the end attached to the hull with a short section of heavy rope. That way you can cut it in an emergency.
Windlass anyone ? LOL
Of course that's not really practical on the C22

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
If we are taking rule of thumb for anchor rode (chain part), I heard it should be 2/3 LOA, but I guess you can't go wrong with full length of the boat!

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
West Marine has a chart but it is all just an educated guess after all. Chief

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I'm sure that CD works great on the bow. I decided to mount the anchor on the side after considering that when I anchored directly after sailing, my hanked-on jib would be in a heap at the bow. With the anchor and lines on the side, I can get to the anchor easily and keep clear of the jib and jib sheets. So far, I'm happy with the decision.
I have mentioned this on other forums/posts.

I LOVE having my danforth hanging from these kind of holders on my aft stantions. I run the rode back from the bow, so when I am soloing (which is a lot) I can drop anchor from the cockpit.

My issue with smaller boats and soloing with a roller (and I may still still get one) is how to bring the anchor chain in from the cockpit without dinging up the gelcoat. If I had a form of mechanical assistance and a locker on the bow, it would be a no brainer.

Jeff

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have mentioned this on other forums/posts.

I LOVE having my danforth hanging from these kind of holders on my aft stantions. I run the rode back from the bow, so when I am soloing (which is a lot) I can drop anchor from the cockpit.

My issue with smaller boats and soloing with a roller (and I may still still get one) is how to bring the anchor chain in from the cockpit without dinging up the gelcoat. If I had a form of mechanical assistance and a locker on the bow, it would be a no brainer.

Jeff
Jeff, When I had my Mac25 I used to stand in the front hatch, on the V-berth. I had a box on the V-berth that I would drop the rode and chain into as I pulled it up. This worked well in rough seas. It felt very secure. BTW I used 18' of 5/16 chain. You can get away with 1/4" but that was what came with the boat.
PS: The anchor roller was one of the first mods to my Cat 27. Much easier on the back.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Don! What is wrong with your pop top?

Coolest thing ever how? ....

Now want a roller! Yay! Boat bucks!
The photo was taken the second night of the C-22 North Gulf Coast Cruise at the Palafox Marina in Pensacola. The CD C-22 anchor roller is basically designed for the Danforth #8 anchor. It allows you to pull the anchor up and stow it right in the mount. I did drill a hole for the pin to route through the anchor shank to hold it secure while sailing or driving down the road to the next destination.

The "pop-top" is a different design on the MK-II C-22's. I prefer the original design, but when the factory came out with the MK-II's, they needed to reduce costs to compete with MacGregor and Hunter,(some buyers only look at the price). The hinge design "pop-top" was cheaper to make.

Don

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Jeff, When I had my Mac25 I used to stand in the front hatch, on the V-berth. I had a box on the V-berth that I would drop the rode and chain into as I pulled it up. This worked well in rough seas. It felt very secure. BTW I used 18' of 5/16 chain. You can get away with 1/4" but that was what came with the boat. PS: The anchor roller was one of the first mods to my Cat 27. Much easier on the back.
Uhm...I want my wife to WANT to be in that berth... :)

How did you attach it, as the chain would hold the hatch open, as I visualize the idea...was your anchor shank really long?

Jeff

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton

Jeff[/QUOTE]

I just added a 15 foot tiller extension so I can steer and pull the anchor up. o_O

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jeff,

Good point and exactly what Pat Royce recommends in his great book, Sailing Illustrated, with four or more pages about the C22.

Attachments

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
When I was a single man I used to anchor out 3-4 nights a week throughout the season in my Clipper Marine 21. Our lake bed is mostly silt and more than once I woke up somewhere other than where I had set my Danforth the night before. I switched up to a 14 pound Delta Fast Set and never once drug again. When I switched anchors, I installed this Windline roller. http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsr...e_228x228__87721.1412427777.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Before I get rid of my Clipper Marine, I fully intend to pull the roller and install it on my C-22. I really liked being able to store the anchor right on the roller instead of having to dig it out of the lazzerette and haul it forward each time. Plus it looks really sharp stowed there and doesn't swing back and forth with the chain banging on things like the Danforth did when I used to hang it from the bow pulpit.

I know someone mentioned earlier that a windlass isn't practical for a boat this size, but I happen to disagree. You see, I have a windlass on the Clipper Marine too. Since 90% of my times on the hook was while singlehanded, being able to drop and weigh anchor without ever leaving the helm was very convenient. Several times while leaving a particular anchorage in a stiff breeze, not having the windlass would have meant drifting fast and smashing into some rocks before I could finish weighing anchor and make it back to the helm. The windlass made it possible to already have the engine running and be in complete control of the helm as the anchor was being raised. It was also worth it's weight in gold whenever the anchor got fouled hard on a snag. Notsure if I can make the windlass work with my C-22 or not, buy by golly I'm sure gonna try.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I have a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 500. I've had it on my boat for probably 15 years. The shape of the Clipper's bow allows for a large below deck chain locker ahead of the V berth. The windlass is mounted on deck right above this and feeds the rode down below. My 84 C-22 has a smaller space ahead of the V berth that could be utilized in the same way, but the windlass would have to be mounted so far forward for it to work that I'd just about have to build a bowsprit for the roller in order to get enough distance between the roller and the gypsy.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Slim: My buddy did just what you suggest. He put his chain in clear tubing. It was a disaster, as it rusted like crazy in that semi-closed environment! The best concept I know of is to put the chain in a bag just below the anchor and hangers and tie it to the rail also if you like. I used this in both fresh and salt for 17 years and worked great! Realize that the immediate reward is you can deploy your anchor quickly. A bicycle innertube will not cut it as you will need a minimum of about 12' of chain. I would personally use 15' for a 22' boat. In the sea I would go for over 15'! These guys don't seem to understand: its the chain that makes the anchor set! (Along with a good Skipper) Chief

Thanks for that info Chief. I've poked around the internet a little more on this subject and I think I'm going to take your advice and make a storage bag to hang on the bow pulpit. I have an old sail cover I bought for $5.00 that would be perfect to re purpose into a bag, or some winch covers, or rail covers, etc..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Okay, I've purchased a roller and I'm in the process of mounting/bedding it! For you guys who already have one, how do you secure the anchor in it?? Do I need to drill a hole in the shank?

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Okay, I've purchased a roller and I'm in the process of mounting/bedding it! For you guys who already have one, how do you secure the anchor in it?? Do I need to drill a hole in the shank?
If it does not come with one pre-drilled, I would not do so.

Most use tension with either a chain lockdown, or cordage to keep it against the restraining metal loop.

I would be interested in seeing photos of your support plate on top and backing plate below, as ai am about to do the same thing.

Jeff