Who uses an anchor roller?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Help me talk my wife into one. She's on board for a #25 Mantus, now I just have to convince her it won't "look stupid" on a roller. :doh:

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

I have an anchor roller... and an anchor lock too.... I built a bow sprit to give me 19 more inches of sail room on the foot... I added an anchor roller and anchor lock to hold my anchor when I am out sailing.... I like to anchor out, and having it already on the bow is very handy...

the anchor roller and anchor lock keep my anchor secure and ready for use when I want it... this way I do not have to chase it down in a locker or inside the cabin... and the rope feeds into the hauser pipe into the rope locker on the bow... I drop anchor, let the rope feed out, and tie it off when I have sufficient rode out ...

sincerely
Jess

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I have a love/hate feeling about the anchor roller on our boat. This is the unit Catalina Direct sells, so the mounting holes match up perfect with the bow fitting. It is nice to pull the rode up on the roller as it helps to squeeze the water and sand/dirt out of the line keeping the fore deck cleaner. It also allows me to stand when pulling up the anchor and I can drop the rode into the anchor locker neatly. The roller also makes it easier to pull up the anchor I believe. It is also a neat place to store the anchor, which adds to the "Cool" factor, and ultimately, that's the most important reason. My claw anchor also looks neat up there. It helps make the boat look more "nautical" and proper. As pretty as the "New Design" boats are decked out, this can only add to their appeal. I had to drill a hole in the anchor shanks for the long pin to go through to secure it to the bow, no big deal.

But.....I still like a solid clevis pin and ring to secure the forestay. I've done all kinds of things to simplify the rigging process, but the forestay is too important, so I don't use any quick push-pin clevis pins, (they are hollow and I just don't trust them 150%). The clevis pin with a ring keeper is a bit of a pain in the butt to install with the anchor roller in place. But I'm getting better at it, so the "Cool" factor is winning.

Don

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I just have to convince her it won't "look stupid" on a roller. :doh:
Not sure what you've got now for a roller and bowsprit, and how the new Mantus would fit, but I was able to remove (and sell for scrap) the original Danforth anchor and slightly modify the bowsprit to accept a claw.

The lower bolt head is on the rod for the roller and the light weight SS plate prevents the anchor from hitting the bow when being deployed.

Tha Mantus looks a little wide on the front but you may be able to make it fit with a few alterations.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for the input, guys! I have a locker, Ralph, but no bowsprit. My bow is almost identical to Don's. As to whether the Mantus will actually fit on the roller, that's a whole 'nuther question, and one which may not be answerable without actually buying the anchor and the roller. For that matter, I don't know if the Mantus will fit in the locker along with a 12# Danforth, if the roller idea comes to naught.

Don, your stem fitting does look congested! I assume you have to move the anchor to fasten/unfasten the forestay? I use a 'D' shackle rather than a clevis pin, but I doubt that will make much difference ...

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, I have to remove the anchor to attach the forestay. MMMmmmm, "D" shackle.....interesting, do you have a photo? But I have to ask why a Mantus? I know, great anchors, top quality, pretty, but if I loose my Danforth or Lewmar claw, I'll say DANG IT!, but I won't cry. My anchor locker holds a #8 Danforth, chain and 200' rode, and a 2.5 gas can for extra fuel for the boat and dinghy outboard.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
Sorry Don, no pics of the D shackle at the moment. Maybe this weekend will provide a photo op, if the weather cooperates.

You? Cry over a lil' ol' lost Mantus?? If I had half your money, I'd have myself a solid gold anchor!! :D Seriously though, here is how I justify it: I won't cry over a lost $200 anchor. I WILL cry over my Daydream, if she ever dragged up one of her $39 Wallyworld anchors and got wrecked. I carry no boat insurance, either. Instead, I try to outfit my boat with the best safety equipment I can afford - redundant GPS's, redundant depthfinders, redundant VHF's, brand new motor, top-notch ground tackle, etc ... you get the picture. Our hope is to eventually sail our C22 to places like the Dry Tortugas and the Bahamas, when our boat and (most importantly of all) our skills are ready. This is part of getting the boat ready. :)

Nov 19, 2008
Our hope is to eventually sail our C22 to places like the Dry Tortugas and the Bahamas, when our boat and (most importantly of all) our skills are ready. This is part of getting the boat ready. :)
Sounds like we have similar plans for the same destinations. We should be starting on our bucket list next year when I retire! :dance:

Don

Sep 30, 2013
Hopefully our wakes will cross someday. The honor will be all mine if they do. :)

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
My low budget solution to easy anchoring has a cool factor of zero, but I've never had any problems with the anchor staying secured to the rail during choppy seas. The chain portion of the rode stays inside the bag to keep it from banging around. The rope portion of the rode is hung to the rails by velcro straps. Very convenient for anchoring and then letting things dry out afterwards.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
That's a well-loved looking boat, RJD! And if the system works, it has all kinds of cool factor. Short of an anchor locker, that's about as nice a setup as you could ask for.

I've looked at this hanger that CD sells many times. Is there an advantage to hanging your anchor on the side, as opposed to on the bow?

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
That's a well-loved looking boat, RJD! And if the system works, it has all kinds of cool factor. Short of an anchor locker, that's about as nice a setup as you could ask for.

I've looked at this hanger that CD sells many times. Is there an advantage to hanging your anchor on the side, as opposed to on the bow?

I'm sure that CD works great on the bow. I decided to mount the anchor on the side after considering that when I anchored directly after sailing, my hanked-on jib would be in a heap at the bow. With the anchor and lines on the side, I can get to the anchor easily and keep clear of the jib and jib sheets. So far, I'm happy with the decision.

Sep 30, 2013
I got the Mantus today, just finished assembling it and holding it up on the bow...

HOLY DOODOO, this thing is HUGE! I guess I should have expected it, being over twice the weight of my next largest anchor, but DANG. One thing is certain: it ain't going in the anchor locker (not assembled at least, and I can't see myself willing to assemble and disassemble it with every use).

So, it's bring on the roller time I guess. Even then I may have to build some sort of bowsprit for it.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I got the Mantus today, just finished assembling it and holding it up on the bow...

HOLY DOODOO, this thing is HUGE! I guess I should have expected it, being over twice the weight of my next largest anchor, but DANG. One thing is certain: it ain't going in the anchor locker (not assembled at least, and I can't see myself willing to assemble and disassemble it with every use).

So, it's bring on the roller time I guess. Even then I may have to build some sort of bowsprit for it.
If you anchor out all the time like we do - shortly you will wonder how you ever lived without a good anchor roller. I know I have.

Sep 30, 2013
I already wonder! :D

Preliminary dry fit of the Mantus gives me some concern. I don't think the CD roller will hold it quite far forward enough to keep the Spade Point of Death away from the prow.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What was the final conclusion with this Gene ? I'm looking to order the CD roller and i'm wondering about eventually getting a larger anchor on the bow.

I plan to move the battery from the starboard locker to someplace forward (To be determined), and I'm thinking of using the starboard locker for fenders, the danforth, and a long line on a spool to enable stern tie to shore with an anchor off the bow.

Sep 30, 2013
Long story short, I still don't have a roller, and I still want one.

But I don't think it's gonna be the CD one. That #25 Mantus was never going to work without a much longer roller than the CD model, nor yet would a #13 pounder (the next smaller size). I'm pretty sure this also lets out similarly sized new-gen anchors like Rocna, Spade, Mason Supreme, etc. The shape of these anchors requires that the anchor be further forward than that stubby little roller can get them.

CD's description of their roller says it fits a Danforth 8. Man ... I just can't get excited about an 8lb fluke anchor. My 10 pounder is often insufficient (disclaimer: 150' rode but only 4' chain on it). I do have a 12 pounder with 22' of chain and 150' rode that works well. I would settle for CD's roller if it could accommodate a #12 fluke anchor. But I have no way of knowing if it can.

I looked at installing a larger roller, but there is precious little space to do it on the foredeck of a new design C22, between the stem and the anchor locker. You would have to modify the roller to bend down the little ramp into the locker for it to have much strength. And this is where my plan lost momentum.

Nov 19, 2008
For what it's worth, we have a #8 Danforth and a Lewmar Claw onboard,(don't know which model the claw is, but's smaller than the Danforth), and I had to drill a hole in the shank of both to secure them to the CD bow roller. Both work well, and can be left attached while trailering. The CD anchor roller works well to help squeeze the water out of the rode while pulling the anchor up.

Don