who stole my hour meter?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Ha! Ha! [subject line]. I have a 2002 356 I have owned for 5 years. I have never noticed an hour meter anywhere on the vessel. I contacted the original owner and he was "not sure" if there ever was one aboard. Any other 356 owners encountered this dilemma?
Well I have finally decided for maintenance records and such I must have an run-time hour meter. Here's my compound question; 1. if any 356 owner knows where the factory installed meter might be located-I am beyond embarrassed but still appreciative for the info. 2. if the spiders have actually ate my hour meter then when I install a meter-is it appropriate to estimate all the past hours and error way on the high side and update the meter to more accurately reflect the motor run time history? How do you make this right?
thanks-Jim
SV SamiDog

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
There may not have an hour meter for 2002 356. Go fit one. Forget about lost hours. You can start clocking now. So it looks like new engine ;) ?
PS: What I did is I kept a maintenance record and wrote 400 engine hours prior to Hour Meter install.
That way I can account for missing hours.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
How do you make this right?
thanks-Jim
SV SamiDog
If there is no way to know the existing hours on the motor, you create a log book, write down what you do know, state the date of installation of the new hour meter and go from there. That is all you can do. Be honest, document what you do know, have that information available to anyone that may need to know. That's my 2 cents worth anyway...

dj

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I looked at a 1993 ,35.5 Legend last year and asked the owner about why there wasn't one, he told me never had, but not to worry, the engine only had 15-20 hours on it.................I ran fast away!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I installed an hour meter where the buzzer was fitted into the engine control panel. I just let the buzzer rest behind the panel and it's plenty loud.

Ken

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
The 356 does not have a standard fitted hour meter. As the other guys have said, make a rough idea of what it has done, catch up with all the maintenance issues assuming none have been done, then fit one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hourmeter...1d4f2dafde863470197f67&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&

into one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Black...hash=item3ccedd78c7:m:mgrU2QSV4toyqAUSiqWEkyg

and mount it on the bulkhead just above the engine. It just needs a live feed from the engine when it is switched on and an earth.

Neil

Mar 17, 2013
Hunter 36 Toronto
I have a Hunter 36 and came with the LCD hour meter in the tach which seems to only work once in a while. I added a 3" round hour meter below the fuel gauge. There was lots of room to add the 3" round hour meter there both the linear space on the panel and the depth required by the gauge. I found the the meter on Amazon for $15. The gauge was a marine water proof gauge same size as my fuel gauge but lots of sizes and shaped to choose from. For the wiring I read on this forum to use the light from the fuel gauge as the power source. Simple installation and wiring. The only downside is that when the key is on the hour meter is counting nut form me I never have the key on unless I'm starting the motor so adding a few seconds to the count at each start.

I think include drilling the hole it took 30 minutes to install

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My 1983 Hunter 31 has an hour meter. However it has been reading 0.0000 since I have owned her. It does not move.