Whitlock Steering

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
sorry for quality
I am not sure that this will work. It looks like there is a collar pinned to the pinion shaft between the bearings in the hub. It appears that the hub and pinion should come out as an assembly. I am not sure where the access hole is for the pin but I assume it is through the hub shoulder which is currently stuck in the pedestal. It is possible though that the hub could pull off the internal bearing leaving the bearing and pinned collar on the shaft. Use caution when attempting.

To the OP: Ken, have you tried reinstalling the wheel to give you more leverage as described in the Cobra manual in the section 2.4 on page 4?

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
I am not sure that this will work. It looks like there is a collar pinned to the pinion shaft between the bearings in the hub. It appears that the hub and pinion should come out as an assembly. I am not sure where the access hole is for the pin but I assume it is through the hub shoulder which is currently stuck in the pedestal. It is possible though that the hub could pull off the internal bearing leaving the bearing and pinned collar on the shaft. Use caution when attempting.

To the OP: Ken, have you tried reinstalling the wheel to give you more leverage as described in the Cobra manual in the section 2.4 on page 4?
If it so, instead pressing against shaft, you can put 4 equal pins or rods which are just longer, then original tread. Let me know, if you need schematic . Also you can attach slide hammer to shaft, it got threaded hole in center.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
,......OP: Ken, have you tried reinstalling the wheel to give you more leverage as described in the Cobra manual in the section 2.4 on page 4?
I'll give the easy ones a shot first like WD40, tapping with small hammer (...Thor thanks for offer.... next time perhaps). I must have missed the part on using the wheel as leverage to pull the assembly (hub + pinion gear). Will add to list of try first.
Thanks Jake. Appreciated.
It'll take a while before I get this done but I'll report back on how it turns out.
Thanks again. Cheers!

PS: do keep ideas coming :)

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If it so, instead pressing against shaft, you can put 4 equal pins or rods which are just longer, then original tread. Let me know, if you need schematic . Also you can attach slide hammer to shaft, it got threaded hole in center.
Slide hammer attached to the shaft?...hmmm....so the pinion gear should come out together with hub. Ok. Will think about it. Thanks.