Whitlock Steering

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Would appreciate advise on how to remove the Whitlock/Edson Steering Wheel hub (photo below) to repair the wheel brake. I removed the 4 pcs of Allen screws but the hub is stuck fast. Before I use Thor's hammer on the hub, perhaps some of you may have a better suggestions.
Thank you.

Ken Y

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like the donkeys (jackasses?) at Lewmar don't want people to see a parts list with a drawing..
Going to make an educated guess that there is a close fit that has a bit of corrosion and the hub is stuck.. Some carefully applied Kroil or PB Blaster .. A strap wrench might be good to use along with a dead blow mallet.. ?? tap and twist to try to get it to break loose.. Lanocote or nickel antiseize going back together..
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-rubber-strap-wrench-set-69373.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...tured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=dead+blow+hammer

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
If you have mains power perhaps a hot air gun to warm the main housing around the pinion housing.....don't forget to remove the woodruff key so you don't damage the oil seal in case the pinion stays behind. Get it good and hot

Dec 23, 2013
hunter 30 keelcenterboard mobile
I taped on mine with a small 2/4 and alight hammer then twisted it back and forth,as it started working I sprayed it with WD40.I had already removed the key.It is a very tight machine fit.Good luck

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
Jake, thank you for posting the PDF manual......I need to go look to see where my rudder stops are!! None on the tiller arm, so assume that Hunter fitted the stop ring.
Neil

Oct 29, 2005
Thanks guys. I'll try wd40 and tapping with small hammer. Then heat gun if it doesn't work.

Oct 29, 2005
Here is the Whitlock Cobra Installation and Maintenance information. It has an exploded view of the system.
I agree, it is probably corrosion in a tight fitting hub.
Thanks for the manual.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks guys. I'll try wd40 and tapping with small hammer. Then heat gun if it doesn't work.
If you can get PB Blaster or Aerokroil, do so; it's much more effective than WD-40 for this application.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Jake, thank you for posting the PDF manual......I need to go look to see where my rudder stops are!! None on the tiller arm, so assume that Hunter fitted the stop ring.
Neil
On the 2004 and up 33 the stop is a cast aluminum piece on the bottom of the pedestal. I think that it is a Hunter part.

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
Not yet. You have easier idea for the removal?
Do share. Thanks.
Tap a tread in hub body, then use 2 or 4 long bolts and piece of metal pressed against shaft as a puller. If my explanation confusing, I'll make a picture tonight. Not able to do it on my phone. Btw, check, maybe tread already there.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
I don't know how similar the Cobra is to the Mamba, but there is a top plate on the Mamba that Whitlock says to remove the fasteners every year due to dissimilar corrosion, guess what was never done to mine. If it has it and you can remove it there would be access to the pinion, the photo looks identical to a Mamba. I have a bit of steering slack I would like to adjust out, but have only removed the same screws you referenced, the top plate hardware is not budging.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Tef-gel is the stuff to use for dissimilar metals, or even similar metals, that you want to take apart some day. It's expensive, but it's the best. (I wish they had a place on the jar to park the little application brush, that I can't locate now!)