Whitlock/Lewmar Engine Control Mechanism - Hunter 356

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hello,

Looking for some much needed help!! I have a 2002 Hunter 356 with the Whitlock/Lewmar single lever control. I replaced the rubber button and plunger as per the picture below in the spring as the previous owner just had electrical tape holding the plunger in place. At this time I didn't detect any issues with shifting from forward/neutral and reverse however a few times this season when depressing the plunger to throttle up when starting the engine cold I couldn't get the mechanism to spring back, I was able to resolve this by moving the shifter quickly back and forth before it would finally engage/lock. Today I attempted to move the boat from my slip but couldn't get the shifter/mechanism to spring back after pressing in the plunger. I did everything I could to try wiggle it free. I ended up ripping out the new rubber button and tried removing the plunger to push on the mechanism to get it to free up, this didn't do anything so I removed the nut and tried to push on the area where the plunger makes contact. Still no luck I removed the housing which reveled the throttle cable for forward/reverse but the part that I'm trying to free still isn't accessible. The handle on the front of the panel wouldn't come off and I felt the force I was using would end up braking something. At this stage I'm stumped does anyone have experience with this problem? Sorry for the long winded post.
upload_2016-10-25_21-27-56.png

upload_2016-10-25_21-50-21.png

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
sounds like you have some corrosion on the plunger that the pin pushes.... I haven't had this specific problem, but try spraying some WD40 or PB blaster in there and exercising the pin in and out. Failing that, you may have to remove the entire assembly, dismantle and clean/lube. The shift/throttle was available as a kit for the 356 and SBO may be able to get one for you - I ordered one for my 356 and it wasn't expensive

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Thanks Chuckwayne. That's what I'm going to try today. After looking at the mechanism it appears this part can't be opened, I might need to replace the whole assembly if through lube doesn't help. Thanks for the imput!

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks for posting this Dan, mine's on Escape buttoned up for the winter in Maine

Jan 11, 2017
Dufour classic 36 2003 Løpshavn
Hello,

Looking for some much needed help!! I have a 2002 Hunter 356 with the Whitlock/Lewmar single lever control. I replaced the rubber button and plunger as per the picture below in the spring as the previous owner just had electrical tape holding the plunger in place. At this time I didn't detect any issues with shifting from forward/neutral and reverse however a few times this season when depressing the plunger to throttle up when starting the engine cold I couldn't get the mechanism to spring back, I was able to resolve this by moving the shifter quickly back and forth before it would finally engage/lock. Today I attempted to move the boat from my slip but couldn't get the shifter/mechanism to spring back after pressing in the plunger. I did everything I could to try wiggle it free. I ended up ripping out the new rubber button and tried removing the plunger to push on the mechanism to get it to free up, this didn't do anything so I removed the nut and tried to push on the area where the plunger makes contact. Still no luck I removed the housing which reveled the throttle cable for forward/reverse but the part that I'm trying to free still isn't accessible. The handle on the front of the panel wouldn't come off and I felt the force I was using would end up braking something. At this stage I'm stumped does anyone have experience with this problem? Sorry for the long winded post.
View attachment 129498
View attachment 129501
Hell Chuckwayne!
I think I have the same problem with my lewmar engine control.
The problem started this autumn. First the the button that set the gear in neutral
did not go easy back. Laiter the engine control only set the engine in reverse.

Did you get any solution on your problem, and if you got, can you share it with me so I can learn from you so I can fix my problem?

Regards, Bjørnar Liland, Norway

Mar 20, 2004
knotallthere had the problem, not me - he hasn't reported back to this thread....

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i once lost all steering on the boat when the morse shifter cable from the cockpit pedestal to the gearbox of the engine froze and self destructed on the hot engine exhaust . the yan mar gearshift selector was easily accessible once i removed the engine cover. i watched a piece of line to the gear shift. then we could shift the engine by putting the spouse or other crew member down below, holding a piece of line attached to the gearbox . i'd yell forward reverse or neutral and the human shift cable complied. this went on for the 2 weeks it took me to obtain the replacement cable....