White antifouling paint - anyone with experience?

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I had an interesting discussion with the Pettit Paint rep recently in which I mentioned that at Cherubini we always used to paint the bottoms with Interlux ACT in Shark White and was thinking about doing the same for Diana, just because of the tradition (we even had a song about it; typical really). Then he told me something I'd not thought of before.

If you're familiar with Shark White you'll have noticed that there's always a green band around the top, just above the waterline. The Pettit guy said that this is NOT slime, which is what most people think it is. In reality, it's the copper in the paint oxidizing in the air and salt water. It seems the whitish pigment of Shark White paint isn't enough to shield the copper from the elements the way other colors do; so the green line will be a fact of life for users of this paint.

The Pettit rep suggested Vivid for my boat. I said, 'But that's not really antifouling.'
He said, 'Are you kidding? --it's one of the strongest antifouling paints out there!' And here I'd long believed Vivid was only for go-fast boaters desiring a bit of bling. :banghead:

I am currently debating between white Vivid and white Sea Hawk Smart Solution (both of which I get at a discount through where I work). I'll be interested to hear from those with REAL-WORLD experience with either or both of these paints, especially as regards warmer (subtropical) waters. Anyone?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The green line. Now I Know thanks. Switched to blue this year. Thanks. I like white gives boat the New look but a New coat of bottom paint keeps it clean as well. Only ever used shark white myself. So don't know of other colors. Thought of matching boot stripe till 6" below water line then white again

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
While Pettit Vivid does have good anti fouling properties, the issue is that it is too soft to withstand regular in-water cleaning. And if you use it in a region of moderate to high fouling, it will need to be cleaned regularly. My experience here in the Bay Area is that a new Vivid bottom will need to be repainted within a year.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Vivid is VERY popular with my racing friends in the med. But that water is not super prone to fouling. They will get two (maybe three) years out of it.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I've used Vivid in white for at least 5 years, in western Long Island Sound. I use it only on an aluminum skeg that's been protected with barrier coats. I have used Pettit Hydrocoat and Micron Extra for the rest of the boat (first Hydrocoat for a few years then I switched to Micron, but I plan to switch again next time I strip the bottom). I'll stick with Vivid for the skeg.
Western LIS is as bad as it gets for fouling- as it's somewhat of a "Dead Sea" from all the fertilizer nutrient runoff from suburban parks, lawns and golf courses. Couple that that with lack of water circulation and you have a very nutrient rich and polluted environment.
Vivid is about equal in slime resistance to Pettit Hydrocoat or Micron Extra (which are about equal to each other) but a "little" less resistant to hard growth than either.
I was surprised to read Fstbttms post that it's softer -- I must disagree because I think it's slightly harder. No need to debate that but it's certainly smoother.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I was surprised to read Fstbttms post that it's softer -- I must disagree because I think it's slightly harder.
You've never cleaned Vivid in the water then. It plumes off the hull with just a harsh look.