Whisker Pole Topping Lift

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
My Hunter 340 came equipped with a whisker pole that stored on the mast on a track. Years ago, I removed it and hung it in the garage after catching the jib sheets on it almost every tack.
Now, I want to start using it. The PO used the spinnaker halyard above the forestay for the pole topping lift. I want to install a dedicated topping lift, does anyone have a mid size Hunter with a B & R rig with no backstay with a pole topping lift? How high up the mast is the block mounted? I'm thinking half way between upper and lower spreaders should be high enough, but a little lower might be appealing when my old, fat butt is swinging around in the bosuns chair trying to drill and tap the holes.
Thanks for any advice I get before I try to install it this weekend.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Bill: In my experience I can't recall ever seeing a whisker pole use a topping lift. A spinnaker pole for a symmetrical spinnaker would but not a WP.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
HI Bill - I have a mid 80's H31, swept back B&R rig with backstay and use an extendable WP. I don't have the exact height from deck but the boat is in Waterford Harbor P17/Slip 4 if you want to look at height of internal pole topping lift and measure. also rig rite has both an internal and external kit for poles (http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Zspar/Z-Spin_cars_RCBTrack.php) if you want to take a look. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill: In my experience I can't recall ever seeing a whisker pole use a topping lift. A spinnaker pole for a symmetrical spinnaker would but not a WP.
I've watched several "how to" whisker pole videos on YouTube, every one showed a topping lift being used and several had foreguys and afterguys on the pole on a jib. The Forespar videos were specific to their setup which is like mine, and used a topping lift, but no foreguy.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
I've watched several "how to" whisker pole videos on YouTube, every one showed a topping lift being used and several had foreguys and afterguys on the pole on a jib. The Forespar videos were specific to their setup which is like mine, and used a topping lift, but no foreguy.
I'll be. Looked at the Forespar site after I posted and they say the WP "needs" a TL. Who knew. I've never seen, in 40 years of racing, anybody use one on a WP.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Its common, in particular in light airs. Helps support the the clew, and maintain sail shape.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
you also may want to consider a downhaul on the WP. keeps sail from rising up and spilling air and helps maintain shape.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
Odd, since all of the times when we used our WP, is to attach it to the mast about 4" off the deck (we also have an external track and slider in the opposite side of the main), and the other end connects to one of the jib sheets, depending on the tack. We use it for downwind sail, and it keeps our jib open. Our WP can be extended allow it to accommodate different jib sizes and shape of the jib, when going downwind. When not in use, it stores on the topside (brackets). We have Hunter 35.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill. Took this last night. Shows you where on the front of the mast my exit box is positioned for the pole topping lift.
Thanks, that photo helps a lot. I think I'll put the block just high enough so the topping lift won't foul the radar that I took down last year, in case I ever put it back up.

Nov 8, 2010
All else being equal, the higher the better. Less mast-ward pull from the lift that way.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
All else being equal, the higher the better. Less mast-ward pull from the lift that way.
Yes, the higher the better. The pole is solid and 11.5 feet long. I'm also debating whether to attach the TL to the end, or to a bridle or mid pole attachment, which will also make less mast-ward pull.

Jackdaw, what do you think about running dead downwind with a code 3 on the whisker pole instead of the jib, with the tack on a 3' bowsprit? To me, it seems we have to sail way too far off the wind jibing downwind to the next mark with the fractional A-sail shadowed by the big main on the 16' boom. We have done wing-on-wing with the code 3 without any pole and we move great until it flops.

20170422_134347.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Installed the whisker pole TL on Sunday. I think we got it at a good height. My son volunteered to go up the mast and he brought along his weight lifting buddy to man the winch. He wanted to snapbook or facechat or something while he was up on the mast.
IMG_9809.jpg

I'm ready to pole out and go wing-on-wing big time!

3f4fed11ee7d90a912623cabc47cca21.jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Looks good Bill. I think that would be "Faceplant". ;-)

And, my that's a big pole, looks like it exceeds the length of the boat.!

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, what do you think about running dead downwind with a code 3 on the whisker pole instead of the jib, with the tack on a 3' bowsprit? To me, it seems we have to sail way too far off the wind jibing downwind to the next mark with the fractional A-sail shadowed by the big main on the 16' boom. We have done wing-on-wing with the code 3 without any pole and we move great until it flops.
Funny use for an asym; its designed for to address the wind from the other side!

But try it; the pole will have to be REAL LONG to be really effective. Maybe longer that your rated length (jib based)

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
One of the quirks of racing is that a whisker pole can be a lot longer than a spin pole. On my Hunter 34, for example, the spin pole can only be 14 ft long. The whisker pole is unlimited. The foot of my 155% Genoa is about 21 ft. and I can extend a pole that long. Under certain conditions this can be faster down wind than a chute.