Which Trailer sailer (cruiser) -Under 2000 lbs to consider?

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thanks Russ... we have actually found a boat. Long story short it is a 1984 Starwind 19 in nice shape. I have also gotten a new (to me) vehicle with a higher towing capacity. Thanks for all the supports and suggestions. I will be picking her up over spring break in March.
-Ian
Excellent!! No personal experience with the Starwind 19, but it looks good on paper, and should check most of your boxes.

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Russ,
You must have sold Aye Pod, as I seen it on C Dock at Richardson marina (near Eugene OR) just a few slips away from our 1984 Starwind 19 Hakuna Matata (we did not name her).

I think your dreaming the impossible dream, as many sailors do.
we've been through quite a few small boats, given the relative few years we've been sailing, but by FAR the best compromise small boat so far has been our Vagabond 17. small, but it feels like a much larger boat when sailing. only 950lb displacement, seated headroom in cabin, sink, porta pot area, very respectable performance for it's size, 350lb swing keel for stability, and a kick up rudder. initial stability is hard to come by in a small boat, which is why I've had a hard time finding one my wife tolerates, but the V17 is great, and she enjoys it, so life is good. The V17 also sails very well on main alone, if desired. plus it sails well with keel up when your in shallow waters (like Fern ridge ;) ). has a decent size v-berth and two 1/4 berths, so sleeping 3-4 in the cabin is possible for close friends ;) .
That being said, we also have, and love, our Mac25 (2100b displacement) that's our go-to boat for overnighters. we keep the V17 for day trips because it sets up super fast etc. (20 min), which is actually the main reason we have two boats to begin with ;) .

decent sailing days are few and far between in the winter months around here, but if you're ever down south (Grants Pass) you're welcome to stop by and look ours over.

View attachment 158926
Also very maneuverable for water fights with the power boaters ;)
View attachment 158927

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ,
You must have sold Aye Pod, as I seen it on C Dock at Richardson marina (near Eugene OR) just a few slips away from our 1984 Starwind 19 Hakuna Matata (we did not name her).
Yes we did sell Aye pod to some really nice folks up in Eugene. David and wife (Nancy??) . I vacillated for months about selling it, but my son in law lost his job recently so that helped push me over to the sell side, as they were needing some financial help. The folks that bought the boat seem like a perfect fit for it, and like I said, they are very nice folks so go introduce yourself to them and say hey for me as well. Not total newbees but low sailing time so I'm sure they would welcome any input you can give them as well.