Which to choose. My dilemma!

Sep 2, 2018
Catalina 30 Olym
I guess the biggest draw is when I look at the extras I see extra $$$ in the upgrades plus lowered price to begin with. Simrad chart plotter new 2015 Simrad depth and knot meter same time. States new standing rigging in 2014. New Wallas 85 dt diesel stove which I admit I know nothing about. 2 Self Tailing primary winches. New water heater etc.. I see a lot of money here but can’t help but wonder what I’m missing that would negate these savings. I believe everyone is right I need a professional to go through this boat for me.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Think you answered your question as to why the second boat is cheaper, even though it is better equipped. The owner has health problems; he needs to sell. Check it out with an independent broker and then a surveyor to make sure everything is OK. Owner is also more amenable to price negotiation because of his predicament. 2015 electronics is good; should have plenty of life remaining unless you have to have the latest technology!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Jssailem is right about it being an older racing boat, there are concerns. On the other hand, and old racer won't skimp. It will have good cquality sails, whether they are old and shot is the other issue, but equipment is likely to have been good quality at one time. Look for all the things you would look for in a powerboat, then ask an experienced sailor about the rigging and hardware.
Ask questions. Lots of money is on the line, your money, so don't hold back.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks. Same year same model boats both 1984 C 30 standard rig boats. Both with the same Universal 25 engine. The first was a family sailing boat for 30 years same owner. #2 boat has many upgrades in electronics as well as winches, electric windlass etc.. was mainly used for weekend racing. The first boat is for sale by owner the second through a broker. There is a difference in price of about $4000 between the two with the more upgraded boat being cheaper. I’m actually working hard to figure out why? I will be going through the cheaper one again this week. I actually sailed on the first boat with its owner this weekend. I really am trying to learn the right questions to ask from this forum as well as when looking at these boats. Thank you for taking time to respond and helping me learn.
The broker fee may be part of the answer...assuming a $40k price tag and a 10% brokerage fee, the math works out.

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my first boat I appreciated the fact it was a 1980 and the only upgrades done were roller furling and 4 stroke motor with appropriate mount. That gave me a clean slate to add upgrades as my sailing experience increase.

I recently bought a Catalina 30 after looking at several. Upgrades that would be important to me are ST winches, flat traveler (earlier models had curved travelers), newer sails and standing rigging (if there is a receipt). Those are bigger buck items. Electronics not as important as others have said. I would rather start from scratch and choose my own.

More important is the overall condition of the hull and engine. Early C30's had plywood in the keel stub which frequently got wet and rotted causing the famed catalina smile. Quite a bit of work to fix. They also have a block of wood supporting the compression post that sometimes rotted. Around 86 or 87 they stopped putting wood in the keel stub and reportedly under the compression post. Does the head door open OK or has it been cut due to sticking? That would indicate problems with the compression post. Does the area around the mast step look like bird bath. Same thing for rotting deck core. If one has had these repairs, that will be a big plus.

How does the engine look on them. The engines sit low and rusting of the oil pan can be a problem if the bilge fills with salt water and sits. That's another costly repair.
Check the plywood bulkheads for wood rot or water stains indicating leaking chain plates.

A boat sitting in the water for 18 months unused will probably have more deferred maintenance than in current use.

Some of the reasons I chose the C30 was the large cockpit, large cabin space, great access to the engine and other systems and a lot of resources for help and parts. I think it would be a great boat to learn to sail. My biggest learning curve is handling in tight spaces after being used to an outboard on my last boat, which I could turn to help maneuver.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
There is a lot here to peruse. Here is my 2 cents. I am sharing a 1982 tall rig. It has been neglected for 3 years while sitting at the dock. I have replaced the transmission, windows and seals. The sailing rig is updated with lots of stuff, but 3 years of neglect has ruined a lot of the fancy stuff and lines fairly recently replaced are in poor shape. because they have sat. I could care less about electronics as I am not in an area that heavily relies on navigation, which I still like paper for back up.

A boat that sits with unengaged (or unable) owner will be no where near as good as a regularly used boat. My big concern is that the boat be safe, I take my family out. They are super important to me. I fix stuff that is critical to the safety of the vessel. I would be hard pressed to look at a heavily raced boat instead of the family cruiser.

Thats my 2 cents.

In addition, check those thru hulls!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Great advise from the best forum out there. I sailed a C30 for 9 seasons before moving up. I loved and still miss that boat. I suggest, if you haven't already, scanning Yachtworld for pricing.
https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...rchtype=searchbar&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=Catalina+30
There were 6000+ hulls built. This should give you a good idea what you're looking at compared to their asking prices. All you really need is a working depth gauge and compass. You could get by with a cell phone or ipad along with paper charts for your area. There is also a very knowledgeable C30 Yahoo group that is well worth referring to. I think you'll love the boat. Good Luck!

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Phlbald,
Thanks for starting this discussion. Seems like I was in the same situation as you are in last month (Aug 2018). Purchased my first Cat 30 (1980) in NC. Unlike you I don't have any experience on the water. I had a great broker though. I bought a sailboat trailer and took the boat to Key West and dropped it in the water at the end of August. It's been a great experience so far. I am reading and learning as I go. I find myself googling a lot of the terms I am seeing on here. Good luck with your journey.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
With that trailer would you consider selling it, loaning / renting it out? Lots of Cat 30s out there my issue is transportation to Lake Guntersville AL. Key West isn't a long trip and options for Cat 30 are plenty between here and there!

Phlbald,
Thanks for starting this discussion. Seems like I was in the same situation as you are in last month (Aug 2018). Purchased my first Cat 30 (1980) in NC. Unlike you I don't have any experience on the water. I had a great broker though. I bought a sailboat trailer and took the boat to Key West and dropped it in the water at the end of August. It's been a great experience so far. I am reading and learning as I go. I find myself googling a lot of the terms I am seeing on here. Good luck with your journey.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the biggest expense on an old boat is the engine . plan on spending 10K+ and losing some months of saliing if it needs to be replaced. unreliable engines make very unhappy friends and family. so get the engine maintenance data from each owner, and go over it with a knowledgeable person BEFORE the survey-- which does NOT inlcude engines. (you'd need to contract for an engine survey separately . ) the owner anxious to sell should be happy to give you copies of all the engine work before you entier a sales contract. ( I did , when i sold my last 3 boats (without a broker.) the maintenance log sold the boats. ) ask each of the owners: who does your maintenance/ do you have the repair orders? was there ever an exhaust elbow replacement? engine mounts replaced? antifreeze system flush? thermostat replace? raw water pump impeller replace? hot water heater -- age and status ? injectors pulled? head gasket work ? save yourself 12K if the engine is in good condition, well maintained with low hours. though yanmar mack boring east coast distributor boasts that it has a working 2 GM with 100K hours on it, i'd stay away from anything with hours in the thousands unless it was meticulously maintained.

Sep 2, 2018
Catalina 30 Olym
Just a update. I went with the Catalina 30 that was a family owned boat from 1985. The survey and oil samples came back clean and I close on the boat tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to get on the water. Thanks again for all your input. I look forward to learning from all of the wise salts on here. Thanks again.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations with your decision. Looking forward to seeing you out on the water.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A beauty for sure. You and your family will have a blast.
You are in a great area too. A number of SBO members are very familiar with the PNW.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Love the U shaped dinette. That was one of the pluses for the C30 we bought.
Hope all goes well with the purchase.

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Congrats on the new sailboat! So I have a question for all. My 1980 Cat 30 doesn't have a u-shaped dinette. It has the table that comes down from being attached to the wall. Is this something the previous owners did or are there different "floor plans." Just curious.

One last question. I noticed another Cat 30 in my marina has a Honda 2000 generator on the back but it also has solar power. Why would someone need a generator if they have solar power? I only ask because I was a full time RVer and I still have two Honda 2000i's that I used to power the RV. I was thinking about getting rid of them because I now have solar. I am confused about the purpose of the generator. Many thanks!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would go with the cheaper and the lower price and the racer has worn out sails and used harder.
I did race my new boat but sails needed repair and other things were breaking and racing was lots more wear and tear.
Either boat will need good checking any way.
Nick