Which sail should I make first?

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
I am referbishing a Chrysler C26 and I only have a beat up main. Maybe good enough to start the season with. I am going to make at least two sails. Which should I make first. A working jib, 110 Genoa, 150 Genoa. Which sail does everyone use the most?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Depends on local conditions. You have a pretty small main so if you normally sail in 12 kts. or under I would say 150. A 135 isn't a bad compromise since you will be able to use it in a wider range of wind. It won't be large enough in very light wind and you'll be overpowered in high wind. In very light wind I might anchor and swim. In high wind you may not want to be out anyway.
If you single hand, the 110 is easy to tack.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'd make the 135 or 150 which ever you expect to us the least. That way you get to practice on the one you will use the least - and still get some good sailing in.

Jan 24, 2017
That is the sail plan I gave them for the quote. They gave me a quote for the 110 and 150 plus the main. Not really worried about the sewing part. I used to do tube and fabric air planes. It is similar I think. So the smaller working jib must not be used much then.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Keep your eye on eBay or check out Bacon Sails used sail loft. You can often pick up a serviceable jib for less than what it costs to make one.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
depends a lot on your local winds. My standard sail, on all the time here on the Texas coast, is my working jib, which has reef points for a reef to storm jib size. When I was cruising on the east coast of the US, I had a 150 genny made, for the lighter air over there. VERY seldom out of the bag here

Jan 24, 2017
OK now we're getting somewhere. Today we have winds of 60 mph. Regularly 35 mph. So maybe the working jib first. The lake is 100 miles long so it gets going.

Jan 24, 2017
I found a few prospects on Bacon but they sound like something I would want to replace pretty quick. Sailrites quote for a 150 was 600. 500 for a 110. I may try one of the bigger Genoas on Bacon and make a nice working or 110.

Jan 19, 2010
Good start
I found a few prospects on Bacon but they sound like something I would want to replace pretty quick. Sailrites quote for a 150 was 600. 500 for a 110. I may try one of the bigger Genoas on Bacon and make a nice working or 110.
I just did a search on eBay for "jib sail" and got 194 hits. But I don't know your sail dimensions so you would need to look them over and see if any would work for you. I am assuming you are using hanked on sails.

Jan 24, 2017
Yes I did the same thing. But I do not know enough about sails to know if they are the same. I have the dimensions and a few looked close. More research after I get home from one call banquet.

Jan 19, 2010
Okay.... so anything smaller than a full dimension sail would be a heavy air sail.... not a bad thing to have. You could also use the jib halyard to pull a tape measure up your mast and see what the luff dimension is.... then measure from the tack to the mast... that would be a 100% jib. Then you could evaluate any sails you see on eBay. You quoted the price for a sailrite kit... but do you already have the machine? A standard sewing machine won't do the trick.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK now we're getting somewhere. Today we have winds of 60 mph. Regularly 35 mph. So maybe the working jib first. The lake is 100 miles long so it gets going.
You're going to need a smaller sail. Maybe you need that storm board!

Jan 24, 2017
I'd make the 135 or 150 which ever you expect to us the least. That way you get to practice on the one you will use the least - and still get some good sailing in.
I have never made a tiller before, but I was not interested in spending minimum $200.00 for one made by a manufacturer. So I went to Menards and bought one 1x4x6 hickory and one 1x4x6 maple boards, cost $12.00. ripped them both ways glued them together using the old tiller as a form. wrapped them in fiberglass, over drilled the holes and filled them with fiberglass. 6 coats of varnish. total cost maybe $15.00 time 3 to 4 hours. now I have a tiller worth over $300.00 by marine supply outlets price and I know what I have. my old tiller had many mistakes NO fiberglass or epoxy in overfilled holes, no fiberglass wrap for strength, the wrong glue to laminate it together. If you do not try things you never learn! Will I use this the least? Most likely for the next 30 years.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Given your shop - you have had lots and lots of practice with woodworking in general. Most of us haven't had the hours behind a sewing machine to get all the "tricks" down. I have spent hours in front of my sewing machine, car seats, a fair amount of sunbrella projects - and I would still want to "practice" on the sail that didn't mean as much to me so I can get the next one the best that can be.

When doing a wood project - the complicated ones I do a prototype in inexpensive wood first to be sure my jigs, setups and dimensions are correct - same idea.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If your winds are consistently over 15 knots, you would be better served by having a smaller genoa, say 110. You'll be really unhappy in a 20 knot wind if your only choice is a 150, because then you'll either be fighting the helm constantly, or taking the headsail down (as some would suggest). Then, you'll find that your masthead rig really sails like a dog without a genoa.
If you get bored easily in light winds with a 110, then get a larger sail to back up your 1st choice. If you are hanking on your headsails, you'll come to the conclusion that you want a choice of at least 2 sails pretty quickly. The headsail is your engine for a masthead rig. You'll be happier if you have a few choices to match the conditions. If you have a lot of wind, as you suggest, I would also add a backstay adjuster so that you can keep the forestay appropriately tensioned for upwind sailing. A loose luff in a high wind will create enough sag to make your sail shape and boat handling miserable.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Nice job on the tiller. I made one for my sailing dinghy a while back. Put screws in a plywood sheet to create the shape then bent strips of wood into the screws and used thickened epoxy for glue. Lots of clamps needed to make sure no gaps in the finished product. Came out great. Your picture name says "varnished" that is important as epoxy doesn't like UV light.
Re: sail size. I have found that a 150 is very often too much sail and on a roller furler trying to sail with it partially rolled up is awful. The center of effort is too high as the sail is rolled up and the shape is bad. I have found a 130 is a much better all around sail. I also sail a lot with a 110. I would go with either of those versus a 150. You will need a speedy stitcher sewing awl for sewing the rings in the corners of the sail and covering them with leather. I have seen these now at Harbor Freight, they are cheap. Sewing the rings you have 5 layers of sail cloth and several layers of webbing to go through, so this tool is a must, they work great and make lock stitches just like a sewing machine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=sewing+awl

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Another tip is have a large clean surface to work on. A wood floor is good but crawling around on the floor depending on your age can be uncomfortable. I took a 4x8 sheet of plywood, used a 2x4 frame for support on the bottom, and covered the top with a 4x8 sheet of formica glued on. I use two sawhorses to put this table top on when I am doing sail or canvas work. When not in use I lean it against the wall and the 2x4 frame can be used as narrow shelves and with some screws or nails for hanging tools. Good luck with your project.

Jan 24, 2017
I used to sew quilts and like I said, using the same fabric I covered fabric airplanes. Jeff informs me also that my machine should handle the job.

Jan 24, 2017
If your winds are consistently over 15 knots, you would be better served by having a smaller genoa, say 110. You'll be really unhappy in a 20 knot wind if your only choice is a 150, because then you'll either be fighting the helm constantly, or taking the headsail down (as some would suggest). Then, you'll find that your masthead rig really sails like a dog without a genoa.
If you get bored easily in light winds with a 110, then get a larger sail to back up your 1st choice. If you are hanking on your headsails, you'll come to the conclusion that you want a choice of at least 2 sails pretty quickly. The headsail is your engine for a masthead rig. You'll be happier if you have a few choices to match the conditions. If you have a lot of wind, as you suggest, I would also add a backstay adjuster so that you can keep the forestay appropriately tensioned for upwind sailing. A loose luff in a high wind will create enough sag to make your sail shape and boat handling miserable.
Yeah I'm looking at the smaller first, as I am not really about Going fast at the moment.