Where to get a dodger

Mar 31, 2017
Hunter 31 31 Lake George ny
I have a 31 Hunter. It has the frame and all the snaps for a dodger but no fabric. Does anyone know where to get a replacement canvas? Thanks people on this site have been very helpfull

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Your best bet is to find a good canvas shop in your area and have them custom make it. If the frame is in good condition, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to use it. Ditto for the snaps.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Your best bet is to find a good canvas shop in your area and have them custom make it. If the frame is in good condition, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to use it. Ditto for the snaps.
That's what we did. We did, however, find huge differences in what different companies charge. I had quotes at $2,900 to $3,200, and $1300. Our windows aren't as thick as the $2,900 bid. Find someone not paying for waterfront real estate.

Ken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Make it yourself if you have access to a sewing machine. Use the old one for a template by cutting it up along the sewn seams, lay out on new fabric, mark, and cut! Buy snaps and tool. Chief

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If you don't have the old one it is easy to make one. Go to Sailrite.com and get the detailed instructions.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Where I live in SoCal the custom car/hot rod business is bigger than anything boat related, so we have a lot of talented people who do auto interior upholstery work. No offense to anyone, because I mean this in a positive way, usually the less english they speak = the more talented they are and charge a very fair price. They have all the tools and skill sets to do boat canvas work and some have told me its actually easier than doing cars. Those shops def do not pay for waterfront real estate, you usually find them in pretty industrial/kinda ghetto places. I have found talented people who work from home via Craigslist as well. A retired guy that worked in custom cars for 35 years in the L.A. area did two leather seats for my choppers and told me to come see him if I ever needed a bimini or dodger for a boat. He had a pretty impressive home shop set up in his two car garage (finished epoxy floor, heat/AC, even a bathroom!), and he still does custom car interiors mostly for guys who do the Good Guys auto shows. He charged me $250 for two hand stitched, real leather covered chopper seat pans... most professional shops would charge $300 for just one.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If you figure in the cost of a reasonable sewing machine (don't need an industrial one BTW) you can make one your self for a lot less and have the machine to boot for that next project (bimini????) Sailrite.com has all the parts and instructions and if you can pin fabric and sew a straight seam you can do this project. The scrim is worth its weight in gold as it greatly reduces the headaches during layout.
Good luck

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I got this Pfaff 360 machine off Craigslist for $140. This is from the 80's I think, German made and mostly metal parts, I think only the knobs are plastic. they still make parts for these things and its a beast. There are many YouTube videos covering the operation and maintenance of these older, more durable machines... they are very popular with professionals and sewing enthusiasts because they are tough, reliable, and can still be repaired. When I bough this machine the seller demonstrated this machine sewing through 4 layers of denim with a heavy X stitch. This machine have like 60 combinations of standard and decorative stitches that are selectable, although I will probably only use maybe 4 to 6. Anyway, a machine like this opens many doors.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Notes from the "been there, done that" page.

Eileen, my wife, has excellent sewing skills and a Sailrite machine. Believe me when I say "Making a dodger is far more difficult than making a bimini." When you attempt the curves and the angles, the addition of lots of Eisenglas, the location of zippers, the allowance for lines to pass through or under, and the location of snaps, you do not want this to be your choice for an initial do-it-yourself canvas project for your boat. Two people with the patience of Job are required! Be prepared to rip out several seems before you are satisfied with the resulting dodger. We have made several, including the one on our current sailboat. Best Wishes.

Nov 26, 2012
One precaution with regard to thread. Be sure to get a strong synthetic thread and not oversized. The worst beginner mistake is buying too big thread. Chief

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
31 seahorse
If you use scrim as a pattern material over the installed dodger poles it is pretty easy. Watch the sailrite video.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks for the suggestion Bill. On one project we had the old dodger for a pattern. On another we modified the frame so the old dodger wasn't usable. I was just reminding the OP that owning the correct machine was not the total answer. Smaller projects with the machine would help with skill development.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I tried repairing my dodger with a heavy duty household machine. It did fine until I got to the vinyl windows. Jumped its timing and had to go to the repair shop. Ended up having Iverson's make me a new dodger but I bought a Sailrite machine for future canvas projects.

Nov 26, 2012
For vinyl or any plastic the key to sewing it is to use talcum or baby powder on it. It will sew easier plus the foot won't grab on the plastic. Chief

Apr 29, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBS Boston
I had my dodger made at "Island Nautical" in City Island NY. Pricing is excellent....$1100 - $1500...depending on the size of the dodger. They have a form on their web site to do the measurements. You can use existing frame or they will supply one. Check it out.