Where to attach the backstay tensioner?

Sep 30, 2011
Hunter 23 Clarks Hill Lake
Hi. I just got my hunter 23 (traded my Catalina 25 for it). Iwas working on the boat today and was wondering if I could shift the split back stays in some? I use my boat as a cruiser mostly and sometimes use the swim ladder. I would like to move the bavkstays in to get them out of the way of the motor and ladder. A set up more like my old 25. Any thoughts?

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I understand why you would want to. But on ours it's just something we have gotten use to. Kind of use it as a hand hold to swing around with

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Not sure if this would be a structural issue or not, but keep in mind you would have to shorten something - either the two split legs or the single upper part - due to the geometry. I assume you have swaged fittings like ours, so this would require a rigger. Well, maybe unless yours are set so the turnbuckles are pretty much always at the outermost setting when properly tight.

RichB

Oct 8, 2006
Hunter 23 Winter Park, Fl. h23
The side stay turnbuckles have plenty of adjustment. They are about halfway in, maybe a bit more, when the shrouds feel properly tight to me. It is only the backstay turnbuckles that are all the way in yet leave the backstay "not tight". The backstay does not hang loosely, it just isn't as tight as the sidestays. I don't know how tight the backstay should feel when correct. I have assumed that it does not get truly taut, as I would worry about the strength of the alunimum masthead crane it is attached to if really hauled in.
Look at the sag in the headstay going to wind. The headstay is 7/8 and the backstay is 8/8 up the mast. Pulling the adjuster will visibly flatten the main.
BTW cocking the mast slightly forward really helps control rounding up in a gust.
Also, I love the handling since installing an 18" bow sprit/anchor platform. Attach the headstay to the front and she will sail very well behaved. I installed a new anchor roller and attached it there. Then used a stainless tube Bob stay down to the trailering ring.

RichB

Oct 8, 2006
Hunter 23 Winter Park, Fl. h23
The backstay is the longest wire and will feel the most loose. Look to the forestay sag to tension backstay. The post above with photo is exactly how mine is rigged. The double blocks pull the split backstay together and that works very well. Remember to keep the mast cocked forward a little by tightening the turnbuckle. Use the jib halyard and a mast winch to get the working play to set your forestay pin to the deck.