Where is your VHF?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Mine is currently mounted in close to the same location by the PO, as MaxinCalgary. For me, I really don't like it there. I'm thinking of moving it to below the companionway, port side. I would use 5200 to attach a piece of hardwood, allowing me to screw the mounting bracket to. I also have a external speaker mounted in the cockpit.

Here's an option; I have a stereo mounted like the picture below. I could mount the VHF below it like that. When you get into the aft berth, you really don't pass your head through that area at all, so it seems like a reasonable option.

P4210101.jpg

Last edited:

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Rgranger,
Have you installed your VHF radio yet? Like you I'm still getting to know my new to me H26 and in the process of several projects. I just finished moving my VHF radio to below the companionway. I really didn't like where it was installed over the galley. The wires weren't hidden at all, they were simply cable tied and ran outside along the floor of the aft berth to the back compartment.

The new location provides easy access to the cockpit and inside the cabin, with an external speaker in the cockpit. There is a small space between the cockpit floor and the aft berth headliner that allows room to run wires and removal of the access panels makes it very easy. I drilled a hole in the forward bottom edge of the headliner where the wires come out and finished it with a wire cap from WM.

I used heavy duty construction adhesive to fasten a 1 inch thick piece of wood to the headliner that is painted with Rustoleum Topside paint. The color is Oyster White, which is almost a perfect color match to the interior. That wood provides a secure place for screws to hold the radio bracket. There really isn't enough thickness in the fiberglass at that location, and I didn't want to thru bolt it.

All in all, I think this makes a nice clean installation.

15.jpg 20160215_080221.jpg 20160215_080324.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Hunter 26 Ceasar Creek
I too have a 95 tiller steer. I use a hand held in the cock pit and dingy. I made a box out of mahogany and mounted it on the forward wall of the head. It contains the VHF and a blue tooth stereo. I also installed a couple of charging ports in the side. It's mounted up high enough that you can still sit in that seat without hitting your head. I can put my phone on top of it and plug it in to charge. I'm using a tablet with Navionics loaded and a wireless sonar that works with the program. That's mounted where the po used to have a cheap fish finder on the starboard bulkhead next to the companionway.

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
One thing I don't see mentioned in this thread, the compass. If your compass is on the port bulkhead that VHF mounting on the head wall might be too close. A VHF radio will throw a compass completely out of kilter. I unfortunately know this for a fact. :banghead:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Rgranger,
Have you installed your VHF radio yet?
Thanks for the pics Doug. That looks like a quality job. I have not installed mine yet. Unfortunately my boat is still in the water and this weather has made it impossible for me to retrieve it. I have several projects on my early spring to-do list before I go cruising... in decreasing priority

1) Install a solar panel on the mast crutch pole and charge regulator near the battery compartment. The wiring is already in place so it will be an easy add on. The P.O. had installed a second shore power plug near the engine well but he used it to plug a battery charger into the boat (NOT SHORE POWER). I already installed a new Guest Pro charger and plan to use that plug for the solar panel. It is already wired to the batteries and has a fuse in line etc.... so .... easy peasy.
2) Install the auto-pilot. I got a used one on eBay.
2.5) Fix the charger on my outboard (it is now working)... I'm going to take that to a shop as soon as the weather gets a little warmer and I can get the O.B. off the boat.
3) Install a VHF radio. (I have a hand-held for now)
4) Install a GPS chart plotter (I have a hand-held for now)

My boat did not have a VHF installed so I don't have to deal with relocating one and can do it from scratch. I think I am going to go with something like Kermits and get a remote mic for it in the cockpit.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Sounds like some fun projects you have lined up. I'll be interested in seeing your solar panel installation when you're done.
Seems like you have better options for your VHF than cutting a hole in the head wall. Not to mention it might hit your head while on the head. :biggrin:

On another note. I installed a 1800 power inverter right next to my battery in the aft compartment (port side), thinking it would be a good location. I later read some cautions about placing it too close to the battery. Do you have an opinion about that? It seems like any piece of electrical equipment close to the battery would be subject to the same cautions (possible corrosion or explosion). Considering the limited space inside the aft compartment I would sure like to leave it where it is next to the battery. I could swap positions with my 10 amp battery charger that is currently in the same compartment on the starboard side if that would make any difference.

I just prefer to keep that equipment hidden if I can.

Jan 19, 2010
My battery charger is mounted to the aft bulkhead facing forward. I attached a pic but you can't really make it out. The electric lines run through the bulkhead and for the most part it is not in the way. I like it there because I can see the LED and know it is working. Could you mount the inverter on the back bulkhead? I guess one way to make yours safer would be to install some vents in your aft bulkhead between the battery compartment and the cabin... That is probably a good idea anyway... more air moving around is always better.

If you want to move it. Some places that come to mind would be the locker in the cockpit. I don't know how your boat is set up but my shore power already comes into the boat through that locker and my battery switch is in that locker so adding an inverter there would be straight forward. Or maybe you could install it under the galley sink... but that is a longer run so you would need some larger gauge wire. The galley sink idea would probably be where I would install it on my boat because the shore power breaker is already installed there and I could easily tap into my existing AC lines. I don't really see me installing an inverter though.

Post pics if you do any of those things and I'll definitely post pics of my solar panels once I have them installed.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Rob, I can't help but wonder if @Crazy Dave Condon was the dealer when original owner bought your boat new. Your shore power connections and switches sound exactly like mine.

Jan 19, 2010
Yes

Uncle Crazy Dave sold this boat to Jon. Dave and another good friend of Dave's have been the only two people who have ever worked on it. It has been well maintained. That history is why I was willing to spend a little more on a boat that I usually do. I usually look for badly neglected boats that just need a good cleaning and a few repairs. Maybe I'm starting to get old but I really didn't want to spend my summer fixing up the boat and I just wanted to go sailing. The only thing this boat really needed was some attention to the electric system. I think it must have taken a surge or a near miss on a lightning strike. All of the fuses and the battery charger and the charger on the OB were blown. I changed the fuses and the battery charger and got most of everything working again. That was not hard. I need to change a few lightbulbs and figure out why the OB wont charge ... maybe slap on some bottom paint and she will be back to A+ status. The trailer is in great shape with newer lights and new tires... even looks like the bearings were recently packed... I've already started collecting charts for this summer.

My father is joining me and my daughters for a long-ish cruise. My plan is to put in just south of Norfolk on the Great Dismal Swamp canal... head south for 12 days at what ever pace I feel like.... staying if I'm having fun... leave if the wind is right.... I'm hiring one of my son's friends to be on standby and on the 13th day, I'll call and have the standby drive to my location and pick us up with my truck and trailer. I'm stoked! I already have a complete chartbook for the ICW and a few cruising guides so just need to pack some cloths and a cooler. :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Yes

Uncle Crazy Dave sold this boat to Jon. Dave and another good friend of Dave's have been the only two people who have ever worked on it. It has been well maintained. That history is why I was willing to spend a little more on a boat that I usually do. I usually look for badly neglected boats that just need a good cleaning and a few repairs. Maybe I'm starting to get old but I really didn't want to spend my summer fixing up the boat and I just wanted to go sailing. The only thing this boat really needed was some attention to the electric system. I think it must have taken a surge or a near miss on a lightning strike. All of the fuses and the battery charger and the charger on the OB were blown. I changed the fuses and the battery charger and got most of everything working again. That was not hard. I need to change a few lightbulbs and figure out why the OB wont charge ... maybe slap on some bottom paint and she will be back to A+ status. The trailer is in great shape with newer lights and new tires... even looks like the bearings were recently packed... I've already started collecting charts for this summer.

My father is joining me and my daughters for a long-ish cruise. My plan is to put in just south of Norfolk on the Great Dismal Swamp canal... head south for 12 days at what ever pace I feel like.... staying if I'm having fun... leave if the wind is right.... I'm hiring one of my son's friends to be on standby and on the 13th day, I'll call and have the standby drive to my location and pick us up with my truck and trailer. I'm stoked! I already have a complete chartbook for the ICW and a few cruising guides so just need to pack some cloths and a cooler. :)
A good coat of bottom paint will definitely fix your outboard charging issue. ;-)