Where does your SBO username come from???

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Many New Yorker's head "outeast" for weekends and to recharge. This refers to the North and South Forks of Long Island east of Riverhead. It's a different world Outeast with beautiful beaches, great restaurants & wineries and offers some of the best cruising grounds on the east coast. Since retiring I live in SW FL but still spend summers "outeast" sailing our boat out of Greenport, NY.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Outeast

Where in SW Fl.
I kept my sailboat in Greenport in 07 & 08 and riverhead Peconic before that
and agree Greenport best sailing location and do miss it,we do spend our
summers July & August in Baiting Hollow in our RV and kayak and ride our bicycles.
Nick

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Gudenuph is a whimsical spelling of "Good Enough" to reflect a Scandinavian heritage.
The name itself stems from the frugal background of the 'Great Depression' of the '30s and an engineering training. A project design is good enough only if it satisfies all of its requirements including appropriate considerations of safety factor and aesthetics.
Thus any more than that is 'art' or a waste of resources. This is in no way a slam on art! My projects try to incorporate a good measure of art because making me feel good is one of the requirements!
Gudenuph does that.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Where in SW Fl. I kept my sailboat in Greenport in 07 & 08 and riverhead Peconic before that and agree Greenport best sailing location and do miss it,we do spend our summers July & August in Baiting Hollow in our RV and kayak and ride our bicycles. Nick
Nick, We are on Longboat Key
Mike

Aug 17, 2011
Catalina Capri 22 Mariners Marina, Barnegat
Skienuff is my handle from way back in the Compuserve and Erols internet days. It's still my email name. It comes from a time when I was in much better shape and was obsessed with skiing. I haven't ski'd in years, but will ride a snowboard now and then. My latest obsession has moved to sailing but I reckon "Sailenuff" is already spoken for.

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
ZED

I got tired of everyone who used Google gmail using my real name because it showed up with my email address in their database and was automatically attached. So I changed my gmail account from my real name to a totally made up name of ZED PASSWAY. Now everyone knows me as Zed Passway because Google thinks my real name is Zed Passway.

So here and there I use Zed Passway.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
All great stories which I have enjoyed reading. Jackdaw, is that a Beneteau 235? Not sure but very clean and well maintained boat sir.

However, the question of how SBO came about, PHIL HERRING IS NOW ORDERED TO TELL US OR WE WILL GET KERMIT WITH HIS SWASHBUCKLING SWORD AFTER YOU.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
All great stories which I have enjoyed reading. Jackdaw, is that a Beneteau 235? Not sure but very clean and well maintained boat sir.
This old thread, back from the dead! Yes Dave a First 235. I take it as a matter of importance to maintain boats in better-than-new condition. Every time something fails or gets old/worn, its replacement is an upgrade. I'm a good person to by a boat from!

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
Good stories all....and a good read.
Can’t believe I only now found this thread….
I used to spend a lot of time in the Florida keys, but now winter in SW Florida and summer up north, lake of the Woods..... My sail boat does whisper to me “take me to the Keys Please” honest ….. I hear it and must obey……

Jan 7, 2015
Menger 19 Catboat Annapolis, MD
is that in "my dog has fleas" and if so do you use koa in some of them
Yep. The majority of my custom uke customers have wanted koa over the years, as that is the traditional wood that they were constructed from in Hawaii (it's also lovely to look at).

I'm mostly retired now. Haven't taken a new order in several years, but I'm still finishing up the last few from my previous three-year backlog of orders.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
I guess I can't hid. My name is my name. Been on this site since almost before I invented the web.. Phil and I go waaaaay back...
First computer, net presence was 300 baud, then 1200 (almost died at the speed) then came 9600. Things just kept getting faster. When I retired, I was using a high end Sun Microsystems at 10Gbit to the desktop... The thrill of speed...

Kermit, I like frog legs for lunch with a nice beer....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw,

I saw the picture of your boat and it was well kept. I appreciate those who do keep their boats up and you do and that you get the Atta A Boy Award from me. Wish we did not live so far as we could exchange war stories. Again, your boat is well maintained.

Jan 6, 2010
Jack,

Great sailing pic pal.

Years ago, my boating friends after seeing the movie "Captain Ron" w/ Kurt Russell started to use this as a moniker for me based on my personality(?).................I guess.

I can only say that I am NOT of the marina or sailing club ilk but rather, a pirate @ heart with alot of neo-piratic friends. Would you introduce me to your sister........., If I were you, I think KNOT!

CR

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
....I can only say that I am NOT of the marina or sailing club ilk but rather, a pirate @ heart with alot of neo-piratic friends. Would you introduce me to your sister........., If I were you, I think KNOT!

CR
BTY: You may have heard to error is human, but to Arrrh is pirate.