Where does your SBO username come from???

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Its all in a name

I've enjoyed reading everyone's name, great topic. I suggest boat names next! Our daughter gave me mine. "Bigpapaporsche." I had no idea at the time, so she stepped in with the name. I was a big 911 Porsche guy, restored about 10 of them and imported a 1973 911E in 1982. The "Big" part comes from by ballast, about 280lbs, the "Papa" part from my age, 66yrs, you figure out the rest. My wife reminds me all to often, that I once said "that I will never own a boat!" The number now is 7 sailboat, 1 pontoon boat, 1 vintage wooden runabout. What wrong with that!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
OK sunman: whatever you said! Happy Holidays! Chief
:D I agree.
poetry is something that you either "get", or you dont... im one of the latter and its above and beyond my comprehension... I think my logic gets in the way of any romantic dream factor that it takes to understand it....
gimme a tool box full of tools and a mechanical problem/failure, and then you can watch me create poetry of a different type that is easily understood by me (but still escapes the comprehension of some others)...

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
:D I agree.
poetry is something that you either "get", or you dont...
It's just Iambic Pentameter. Actually, I have no idea what that means, but like the way it sounds and remember I might have learned about it in high school. Come to think of it, the only thing I think I learned in high school that benefited me in later life was how to touch type. Don't have to look at the keys. The rest I learned in college (again) or later.

My user name: my real name just behind of the other 12209 Allans. How boring. As to being on the cover of Yachting Magazine; for $10 at Universal Studios, they hand you a wooden wheel, a captain's hat and take your picture (30 years ago). :cry:

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I was born in Austria a few years after the war. My father was an American soldier from Puerto Rico, hence the name Rodriguez. (My wife claims that I am the only Austa-rican in captivity!) My mother was a 17 yr old Austrian girl. My dad got sent to Korea shortly after I was born. I spent the first four years of my life living with my mother and grandparents near Linz, Austria. (I learned to speak German before I spoke English but forgot all of my German when we came to the States at the age of seven.)
The German equivalent of my name Henry is Heinrich. Little boys in Austria with the name of Heinrich are often called by the diminutive of that name which is Heinzi. I was known as Heinzi until I started first grade in an American school for military dependents. Only family and close friends call me Heinzi now but I do use HeinziR as a user name and email address.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
My name came from the need for an email name a very long time ago. Used the name for every forum I have been on. So much so, even Google knows it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks to Kermit and some other folks, I guess I will chirp in but need to keep names and place quiet for fear of legal action.

First with a last name of Condon having graduated from VMI an served in the Navy, you can only imagine the pet names I had. I too laughed and it did not last long but yes I did laugh. One day a fellow officer called me one of those pet names in front of the CO"s wife and he was called on the carpet for that.

Most of you know I was a sailboat dealer. A load of expected sailboats from a manufacture was diverted to a movie company without my knowledge, I followed that truck to another yard and a young punk 21 yrs old out of college was barking orders. The game warden came over and after the driver produced the bills of sales and title work that were in my name, that truck came back to the lot. There were times when movie employees took out the boats without permission for personal use not to mention all the damage. Demonstrating a 28 on a Sunday afternoon, I nearly was broadsided by one of my boats as all on board were totally drunk. I called the game wardens and all were arrested and towed the boat back to the dock. Needless to say, my customer was not impressed with the movie company but saw how professional I was in handling. He purchased the 28.

One actor was known to damage things if he got mad at the set directors if he did not get his way. I told him after the third time not to do it again. The police acting as guards too had their belly full of that actor and I told them what I would do the next time. well, he did damage my boat again and this time I ran up the dock onto my sailboat, tackled that actor putting my hands around his throat telling him I would put concrete boots on him and throw him overboard for fish food. Another actor who could not stand that actor yelled out I was crazy and then called me crazy dave. Everyone started laughing. There was never anymore damages to my boats.

I remember Crazy Eddie's cars and thought why not and adopt Crazy Dave as my nickname since I have been called Dan, Don, Dunna, Dick, Dweeb and others. It was a marketing tool so I adopted that nickname and folks laugh. I like to laugh.

However, my wife and daughter have put a stop to letting my grandsons call my Crazy G and G is for grandpa. Wait till they are older and I will make sure my grandsons call me appropriately by Crazy G.

For those who know the story, I ask that names and places be kept quiet for fear of legal action.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I, like others here, just use my real name. Sometimes I wonder if I should use an anonymous name. Nah...

Mar 12, 2013
Catalina 30 hjahj
My user name is simple as well. We cottage on a 3 acre island in Georgian Bay (Lake Huron). It was named Minwaubin on maps for at least 75 years.

The Sail? A Catalina 30 helps us escape Island Madness for a few days (or to at least change the scenery a bit).

Jul 12, 2012
Beneteau 41 Kemah
My user name for this forum is the name of our boat. The compromise however is a bit different. She wanted a beach house, I of course wanted a boat. The compromise was to get a bigger boat. I had a 30 foot Columbia. We now own a Oceanis 41. Good compromise. Big grin.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
It's the name of the boat. SBO was first internet forum I joined. At the time, a certain amount of anonymity seemed prudent. I'm not as worried about that now.

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
"Cool Beans" is my boats name ;) I wanted it to reflect my "off" personality. . .

"Cool beans" is also my adopted catch phrase. I first heard it some 16 years ago at my first job. A young navy guy was working part time and just happened to remark that the work I was doing to my truck was "cool beans".

"Cool beans" I said?

Yeah, "cool beans". . .like, pretty sweet or something. . .

Damn, that is "cool beans"!

Been saying it ever since! And, since owning a Sailboat is "Cool Beans"!

Dec 5, 2013
O'Day 23 Marion, MA
Fans of JRR Tolkien will recognize my UN as that of the great mariner, "Sea-Friend," from the _Silmarillion_ (my user-image is Earendil's coat-of-arms). If you are not a fan of Tolkien, I will spare you the details :)
I'm no great mariner, but I have been a huge Tolkienite since my youth and I just love the ocean. When I bought my first boat last year, I thought of naming her 'Vingilote' (after Earendil's ship), but thought that was a bit too pretentious for an O'Day 23 (and I found a couple of Vingilote/Vingilots registered already on the West Coast). I eventually settled on 'Piao' (飘), which means "blown by the wind" in Chinese -- I've spent several years living in rural China as an anthropologist.
Had considered naming her Fanchuan (帆船) or 'Sailboat,' but that was too similar to fanchuan (翻船) or 'capsize' !

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
During my second tour in VN, I flew an Army CH 47, Chinook helicopter...first tour was on the ground.
When picking up a heavy load, the rotor system creates winds of over 100 mph, creating a "Big Windy" condition. Also, unit call sign was "Big Windy."

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
My username kind of represents ware I was when I joined the forum. I was 41 and we were about 3 mo in to our daughters chemo treatments for Leukemia. That changed our lives. For the better.
It gave us a new look at our lives and the push to do the things we always wanted to do.
We had allot of limitations as to what we could do with Jasmine(Squeaky). (Because of her treatment she didn't have an immune system... So we couldn't really go out in public.)
I wanted to do things that were fun. Water brings back great memories for Heidi and I. I decided to get a sailboat. It was time to live our dreams and make memories.
I had to keep names vague to use pictures of Squeaky. (She is in some fundraising advertising for a hospital. I signed a agreement not to use her name and picture publicly. (Who thinks that would be a problem in the future...)
So I chose not too use our names.
Her cancer is gone. (2 years off treatment now!) Our lives have been changed by sailing. We are very thankful.
Part of the reason behind my charter company is helping others live there dreams. I think that is important.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My username kind of represents ware I was when I joined the forum. I was 41 and we were about 3 mo in to our daughters chemo treatments for Leukemia. That changed our lives. For the better.
It gave us a new look at our lives and the push to do the things we always wanted to do.
We had allot of limitations as to what we could do with Jasmine(Squeaky). (Because of her treatment she didn't have an immune system... So we couldn't really go out in public.)
I wanted to do things that were fun. Water brings back great memories for Heidi and I. I decided to get a sailboat. It was time to live our dreams and make memories.
I had to keep names vague to use pictures of Squeaky. (She is in some fundraising advertising for a hospital. I signed a agreement not to use her name and picture publicly. (Who thinks that would be a problem in the future...)
So I chose not too use our names.
Her cancer is gone. (2 years off treatment now!) Our lives have been changed by sailing. We are very thankful.
Part of the reason behind my charter company is helping others live there dreams. I think that is important.
great story!

Sep 27, 2008
Grampian 26 26 Penetang,Ontario
We used to play jokes on friends with those plastic pink flamingos,popular in the 70s.
Reminds me of the not always,but mostly, good old times.