Where does your head drain?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No horn tooting here, but Hunter did a wonderful job designing and building our model boat, especially the aft cabin head with sit tub. Never felt the need to go ashore for a shower with such nice accommodations aboard. Tub pan drains to a sump for overboard discharge. Ditto the forward head shower. A happy camper, er boater after many years of cruising. Sounds like two footitus to me.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Where is it written that a shower sump can only be directly under the shower drain?
Peggy, my original suggestion (#33 in this thread) was to put a shower sump elsewhere in the bilge where ever there is enough space. However, if I understand correctly, these photos show the bilge area just aft of the would be shower pan, and I don't think there is enough depth there for any shower sump that I have seen. Perhaps the bilge is deeper farther aft(?), but I kind of doubt it will be significantly so since I see keel bolts there and no sump area at the keel "foot" - which may be the wrong term. I was imagining an 8 to 12 inch deep bilge at the keel "foot" like the one in my H30, but that is apparently not the case with the H27.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Peggy, my original suggestion (#33 in this thread) was to put a shower sump elsewhere in the bilge where ever there is enough space. However, if I understand correctly, these photos show the bilge area just aft of the would be shower pan, and I don't think there is enough depth there for any shower sump that I have seen. Perhaps the bilge is deeper farther aft(?), but I kind of doubt it will be significantly so since I see keel bolts there and no sump area at the keel "foot" - which may be the wrong term. I was imagining an 8 to 12 inch deep bilge at the keel "foot" like the one in my H30, but that is apparently not the case with the H27.
This shows the depth of both the bilges in the main cabin. Definitely no room for a sump pump there.
image.jpeg

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
This is what it looks like. The holes drilled are about two inches aft of the head drain.

Someone asked what was under the head floor so the other picture is what it looks like.

View attachment 134770 View attachment 134771 View attachment 134772
My 1984 H27 does not have a shower or a hole in head sole. The only visible access to the small space under the head sole is the 1/2" hole between the main saloon bilge and the head sole space. The hole is used to run wiring to the mast and to connect a grounding wire from the mast to a keel bolt. You do have space near the aft most keel bolts for a sump if it were no higher than about 5". It would mean drilling a larger hole in the fiberglass strut that separates the two bilges. If you "have" to have a indoor shower, I would go that route.
My main reason for doing this post was brought on by what I saw on your pic of your forward most keel bolt. That is a lot of rust. Take a look in Hunter 27 Owners Mods and scroll down to Keel Bolt Repairs.

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake
My Shower drains into the bilge (drain in floor in head, hose with shower head, curtain and sit n the potty I guess). My 13 year old Son figured this out when we were cleaning up our new purchase (Cherubini 30, 1980). Yuck! :yikes:

With soap scum and oils, hair (add anything you think might come off your wet, soapy body here...) I say NO!

If we were to use the shower, I would install a sump pump to pump it up to the sink gray water thru hull BEFORE it got into the bildge.

But we either shower a the Marina locker room (very nice) or go for a swim. Hey, my Fiancé makes soap and it is all natural, so we can use it in the lake if we absolutely had to! :stir:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Where is it written that a shower sump can only be directly under the shower drain?
My O'Day 322 has a shower drain in the head, that is connected to a short hose, to a shower pump under my sink cabinet, and then overboard. The pan catches water if you are not running the pump (the switch is in the heard, so,you can turn it off and on as needed). My bilges are not deep, and there is no way to put a shower sump box under the pan. But a 90-degree elbow doesn't take up much space, and pumping overboard is so much better than draining into the bilge.

Greg

Apr 30, 2016
Cherubini 33 Miami
Greetings,

I just had a similar issue with my 1981 33. After a bunch of investigation it seems as though that little hole drains to a sump and there is a separate Rule 2000 pump that drains out starboard. If the sump fills (the head floor will then have 2-3" of water on it) then it leaks into the bilge, presumably trapping soap, scum and all on the floor of the sump.

My only issue with this is that the access is a hatch that doubles as the battery storage shelf. I guess in 1981 the assumption was that the batts would be smaller and easier to move. My current batts weigh 135# and are really difficult to move and that precludes access to that sump. Hopefully that pump will carry on forever. btw....I installed a positive switch on the wall of the head so that the pump will only work when positively directed and will (hopefully) not jam open and kill the batts.

I rebuilt a teak floor and there is now a strainer in the floor to slow down goo.