Where do you get your tide information?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Do you use tide info at home and/or on the boat? If so, how do you get it?

We need to know the tide - 10 foot range around home - for various activities around the water where we live.

Then on the water, we need to know it for obvious reasons.

Currently, I'm using Navionics for the info both at home and on the boat. You need an internet signal or be in cell range out on the boat, which isn't much of a problem in my sailing grounds.

Some sort of chart is what I like on the boat. With Navionics, I get a dynamic picture of the state of tide - rising or falling - for anchoring or passing a shoal area. All I need to do is tap the chart and the data comes up.

Tide info .PNG

I can also get it on Blue Chart and I think the info is stored. My old ship board chart plotter stores 10 years of tide data, as well but I'm using the phone tide data the most these days. I just wish it stored several days of data whenever it's in wifi range(are there any apps that do that?)

What sources do you use?

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
We buy a tide calendar from Hamilton Marine every year.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
TideTrac and realTide are good apps for tidal information.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Skipper app will give you about 3 days tide info. iSailor app from Transas offers sophisticated tidal info for $10 per year. I really like iSailor and use it even though I run Navionics on the boat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If on the boat and cruising LOCALLY, one of those complementary pocket-sized tide booklets w/ advertising that marinas and businesses give out; not the calendar charts. I normally have a couple of 'em on the boat at a time. Very useful. The booklet gives the minutes correction relative (here) to Los Angeles. I also have a Weems & Plath tide clock that I calibrate to the area b/f departing, and throughout the cruise as needed, etc. Once out there you know generally, if near shore, the tidal changes--i.e., the rhythm. If planning from home or on the boat b/f departure--an internet website w/ data for the area to be cruised, etc.

Shaded areas are nighttime tides; red text indicates minus tides. Notice moon phases depicted; sunrise and sunset are indicated as well. After the clock change in spring, the tables read PDT instead of PST; reverse in fall after the change.

Sample+tide+page.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Charting software. Coastal Explorer.
Or online - of based Microsoft explorer favored. "DeepZoom.com".
Fall back is "Tides" app for iPhone / iPad

Aug 30, 2007
- - Anacortes, Wa
If you download the Navionics charts for your region, you don't need to be online to get the tide data. I use the Navionics app, Coastal Explorer and a back up tide book.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
deepzoom is working well on my mac and on my android devices. I need current info more than tide info, this does both.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If you download the Navionics charts for your region, you don't need to be online to get the tide data. I use the Navionics app, Coastal Explorer and a back up tide book.
Really. That's what I wanted to hear. I just down-loaded the charts for my region on Navionics. Maybe I confused the tide info with weather last season.

That would mean the current charts are stored, too. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2007
- - Anacortes, Wa
That right Tom, I spend more cruising time away from the internet than with it and I have been using Navionics for years for both charts and tide data. Turn your internet connection off on your tablet or phone and test it out.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I use the Navionics app with downloaded data, and also use the BouyData app, which also shows tide station data (graphic or table) for selected dates, and actual weather observations at your selected weather buoys. The latter is very nice because NOAA and UCONN have bouys scattered around the area, so I can view actual observations (usually within the last hour) not just general forecast or land data.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I use "Tides" app for iPhone. Uses my closest station for info and them I make adjustments using a local tide table I pick up at the bait store at the marina.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I've been using Aye Tides app on my iPhone for several years now, it was $10.00 is deadly accurate with sites all over the world, doesn't need to be connected, and stores several years of data. I wouldn't like to go to work without it!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I use two tide apps, Hi Tide and Tide Graph on phone and found the graphics on Hi Tide to be a bit better. Both have calendar functions that I use when planning a trip or vacation several months out.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I've been using Aye Tides app on my iPhone for several years now, it was $10.00 is deadly accurate with sites all over the world, doesn't need to be connected, and stores several years of data. I wouldn't like to go to work without it!
I do the same- has charts, and also a graphic display, Use it all the time, on my Iphone. Has sun rise and set, and moonrise and set also

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
I get my tide and current data from 2 sources. On the Boat via my B&G Zeus Touch 7 and Navionics charts. For planning, I have an old application on my PC Maptech Offshore Navigator which I update every year with NOAA data. I sail mostly on the Hudson River and we only have about a 3.5 foot tide. Usually I am more concerned about the current and which way it is currently going. When planing a trip, I plan my trip to go with the current especially when I head to LI Sound and need to go up the East River and through Hell's Gate

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Eldridge. I buy one every spring. Part of the ritual.
Gave up on Eldridge. I too have been buying it religiously for years, but however comforting it may be, and for better or worse, science and technology have pushed it out.