Where do you carry your dinghy??

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@Terry Cox I have thought of doing the same thing. However one of the pontoons would be sitting on top of the outboard. Not sure how that affect either but again, the thought did occur. Getting up there is not an issue. I can use one of my spare halyards or the main halyard. I might revisit that someday.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Dad's old boat, Jenny D, in MK Marina, Kitimat.jpg The way my Dad did it. I thought it was a lot of windage and cut the vis. aft but it worked for him. Ran across his boat in Kitamat 20 years after he sold it. New owner doing it the same way.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We find davits to be very useful and convenient. We often cruise to remote anchorages or take a mooring where there is no shuttle service, so having the dinghy with us is a must, and being able to launch and retrieve it on a daily basis is a necessity. If we are staying overnight, I usually will lift the dinghy and motor clear of the water and let them hang. This gives the bottom of the dink a chance to dry out, and keeps the little boat secure. When we venture offshore, the dinghy goes inverted on the foredeck. This, of course, obstructs the helmsman's vision, but that is not an issue offshore.
IMG_2404.jpg

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I am in the process of changing dinghys as my dinghy is now retired after 16 seasons. I had an Avon 260 air floor and I keep inverted on the foredeck except when cruising. I tow behind without the motor and keep it riding just on the backside of the first wave. Motor is mounted in a Edson mount on my stern rails. Towed most of the way from Kentucky Lake to Punta Gorda, FL and return that way - over 1400 NM. When cruising in the River, I tow so I can see over the bow.
9301431E-B138-405F-9A4A-B61B83870F74.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This one is inflatable, but mostly I carry a hard kayak in the same spot. I could carry one on the other side if I wanted. Thery seems quite secure there even in weather.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
At the moment we have an Achilles SPD290 that we care inverted on the deck (as shown) in rough weather but mainly on our Ocean Marine Systems Davits as it keeps the dinghy high enough and with cross straps is held firm with no movement. Also mount the 6 hp Tohatsu on the rail if moving.
Wasn't sure I wanted the look but the functionality is great and you end up using the dinghy more and it is easier and faster to deploy. We are planning a longer cruise than just the bay and defiantly wanted it for ease of deployment and security at night.
LegaSea Davits.jpg

Last edited: