Where do you carry your dinghy??

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello All....

So for the time being and all through my past I have always pulled my trusty tender (engine on the rail). Double painter; one line to each stern cleat. Never have had a problem. But thinking down the road when I get further out in the ocean on passages what I might do. Arch with davits?? But then I loose good access to the scoop for swimming and fishing. Or what about fore deck? I do have plenty of room and many lash down points. However, I have stuck my bow in many a wave and had green water flooding the decks. With the power of water what are the odds that it rip the dinghy off the bow causing damage. I see many people do this.... Delose travels the world with theirs up front. So what is the overall opinion?? I have my thoughts based on my years sailing but wish to hear from experience......

Thanks!

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i deflate, roll up, lash to deck. that's the beauty of an inflatable. i have never had blue water over the bow. thank you john alden

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
In calm and short hops it’s on the davits. If I’m in “open” with iffy or bad conditions on the fore deck with 2” ratchet straps or better at home.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
On the davits of course. During the winter I has it lashed to the fore deck but it really impacted visibility.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Towed or on the foredeck. Engine on the push-pit. It's never been a problem being towed but I prefer it on deck for ocean passages.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I only did coastal cruising but always towed. I would guess 90% of coastal cruisers in the LIS/Southern New England do the same. Davits are a PITA and block off the transom, which I consider the back porch. I had a hard dingy so couldn't deflate it. It was so well behaved even in waves I rarely worried about it. I think if you have it lashed on deck and really punch a wave it will make your lashing look silly. My opinion.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I only did coastal cruising but always towed. I would guess 90% of coastal cruisers in the LIS/Southern New England do the same. Davits are a PITA and block off the transom, which I consider the back porch. I had a hard dingy so couldn't deflate it. It was so well behaved even in waves I rarely worried about it. I think if you have it lashed on deck and really punch a wave it will make your lashing look silly. My opinion.
I agree with the back porch...... yes my RIB tracks just fine so far in all conditions. And no use deflating pontoons. And yes breKing through a big wave could create a bad situation at the wrong time. Maybe I’ll just upgrade to a new 55 that has a “garage” on the stern for the dinghy and just pull her in and close the door!

Greg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I keep it inverted on the nets, with the kicker mounted on the stern rail. I downsized to a 2.5hp Suzuki a few years ago so the 30 pound engine on a harness is a one-hand lift. My wife and I hoist the dinghy from its using the spinnaker halyard to launch and retrieve. All together the launch or retrieve takes 5-10 minutes,
If I were to go offshore beyond range of a reliable forecast I'd deflate the dinghy and tie it down aft of the mast.
IMGP1158.JPG

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
On short stints, I pull the dinghy behind me. On longer trips, the dinghy goes on the foredeck, inverted.
photo sm.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Over the 26 yr since I acquired my first cruising yacht for which I carried a dink and outboard engine, I’ve tried everything except davits. I have towed and have lost one inflatable, air floor dink (Achilles 10.5 ft) altogether in Santa Ana winds of > 25 kt, plus I have had to turn around three times I remember to retrieve ones that had gotten loose. However, most of the time the dink has been deflated and stowed in a locker. The outboard has usually been fixed to the stern rail, but if making an anticipated rough passage, the outboard got stowed in the locker as well. The Bavaria has space for that. Now, however, I have an inflatable aluminum rib of 9.5 ft, and it cannot be stowed below.

The rib does not track well when towed by single warp. Thus, towing requires a warp to each stern cleat. However, I usually carry it inflated and inverted on the foredeck. The transom abuts the mast step where I cross short lines, securing it to the mast step. This keeps it from sliding athwarts when the boat heels. At the bow I strap the the nose to pad eyes with a ratchet-type belt strap. I then secure the painter more forward, sometimes using a Trucker’s hitch. This keeps the dink from sliding aft or raising up much if struck by boarding seas. The rib is usually inflated in this configuration. But, if going into large seas that might repeatedly break or wash over the bow, it is deflated. So, it’s just the aluminum hull that would be presenting much resistance to seas. Plus, there would be no buoyancy there to help a sea lift the dink out of its stappings, etc.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

brian, how can you deploy an anchor/sea anchor in an emergency?
how can you work your sails?
how can you work your mast?
we all get to sail our boats the way we want, however, bluntly, i teach that that is dangerous.
windage = drag= slower sailing/complicates storm control

Feb 17, 2006
Brian, what are dimensions of that dinghy?
It is a Mercury RU240.

Gross weight 28 kg (62 lbs.)
Maximum load 316 kg (697 lbs.)
Maximum engine power 3.9 kw (5 hp)
Maximum engine weight 25 kg (55 lbs.)
Maximum personnel 3
Air chambers 2
Outer length 240 cm (7 ft. 11 in.)
Inner hull length 156 cm (5 ft. 1 in.)
Outer width 137 cm (4 ft. 5 in.)
Inner width 67 cm (2 ft. 2 in.)
Tube diameter 36 cm (14 in.)
Floor system Roll up
Floor and tube fabric PVC

Feb 17, 2006

brian, how can you deploy an anchor/sea anchor in an emergency?
how can you work your sails?
how can you work your mast?
we all get to sail our boats the way we want, however, bluntly, i teach that that is dangerous.
windage = drag= slower sailing/complicates storm control
how can you deploy an anchor/sea anchor in an emergency? Never had to, however, as mentioned above, the dinghy would go overboard if need be.
how can you work your sails? That is not an issue. Although sailing close hauled is a little harder
how can you work your mast? There is ample room between the stern of the dinghy and the mast.
windage = drag= slower sailing/complicates storm control - in that case, I would put the dinghy overboard and pull it behind me.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Thanks! that is a good visual on how it fits a 27' boat. I was wondering about the size I might like to get for Sue and I for this summer. We're done with the inflatable kayak for trips ashore!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks! that is a good visual on how it fits a 27' boat. I was wondering about the size I might like to get for Sue and I for this summer. We're done with the inflatable kayak for trips ashore!
Get a 6.5-ft Zodiac Cadet and 2-hp outboard. Carry below deflated or on the bow. The smaller dink fits better on the shorter deck. I had one of these for my 30-ft Pearson. Can carry two adults no problem.

Last edited: