Where do I hang wet towels!?

Dec 11, 2018
Hunter 37c NC
We have a 37c and are planning on living aboard soon. We will be living at a marina and do not want to hang wet towels on our lifelines. We have a separate shower compartment in our head and a teak wall covering the sliding door in the head beside the toilet itself. There is no room in our head to hang 3 wet towels, since hanging the towels on the teak wall would get in the way of using the head - although this seems like the only logical place to hang them. Any suggestions from any 37c owners? Any would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss for any other ideas.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Perhaps an almost universal idea is to extend your boat hook across the cabintop. Using thin towels dry quicker.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
And why not use the lifelines?

We call our 41 ft , the tiny house and, while the admiral likes it neat and clean, the binnacle holds towels from showers or during the day we may move them to the lifelines. I know its not as neat as you might like but even on our 41 it becomes necessary to use every bit of space inside and out. Also, drying towels indoors on a boat just adds to the humidity problems inside.

It's an adjustment when you move aboard and you'll find places for everything eventually.

Dec 11, 2018
Hunter 37c NC
I have a couple of concerns with hanging towels on our lifelines: we will be living at a marina (that is hush-hush about liveaboards to begin with :) so putting towels/clothes on the lifelines to dry is not allowed; and it is very rainy this time of year and also freezing cold, so that would prevent the towels from drying. If I could figure out a way to hang them in the cockpit under the dodger and bimini, nobody would see them.

Dec 11, 2018
Hunter 37c NC
Perhaps an almost universal idea is to extend your boat hook across the cabintop. Using thin towels dry quicker.
I like this idea. I could try to do this in the cockpit maybe? I'd like to keep the towels hanging in the cabin though. Hmm. the joys of owning a sailboat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We have hooks behind each of our doors. I have used those BIG black metal clips used for holding paper (they come in various sizes, we use the huge ones). The silver "handles" fit over the door hooks.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
We have hooks behind each of our doors. I have used those BIG black metal clips used for holding paper (they come in various sizes, we use the huge ones). The silver "handles" fit over the door hooks.
I think those are called binder clips. Don’t they rather quickly develop rust? I like the idea though.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Remember all that water your towel takes off your body is going to come out and increase the humidity in the boat. If you say it rains a lot humidity is already going to be a problem.

My solution would be to join the Y or a gym workout and shower there with their towels

Les

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If live aboards are hush hush, then no laundry facilities? What do you plan to do for the rest of your clothes?
>There are washer/dryers in-one units available, that fit in small places.
>You could keep a few days worth of towels on hand and put them on a sealed plastic box under your dodger until ready to go to the laundrymat.
>Fans dry towels pretty fast.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Not able to answer the exact question, but for the result (dry towels) I find the microfiber sports towels to be the best thing aboard. They dry super quick, even in rainy humid weather, and also take less space to stow.
There are two types I’ve used: One is like the microfiber rags you might use for polishing (but large size). They have a lofty fluffy texture, like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HQ9FMS.
The other type has a smoother finish with no significant nap. Like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHQ28WV. They are much thinner and less absorbent, but dry even quicker.
Using these towels (either type) is a different experience than cotton towels; more blotting than wiping, but you get used to them and they are more practical on a boat. I still use cotton towels at home - but when toting to a gym, a shoreside shower, or aboard the boat the microfiber towels are preferred. Better for camping too.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Marinas usually have showers so no need to wet the boat's shower and the best place to hang wet towels is on the outside but in winter time you can hang them inside and the added humidity will not bother much.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We use smaller towels, near the size of what are called “Guest Towels”, which are also light of material (thin). They don’t require as much room to hang and do not suck up as much water as full-size bath towels. As long as you’re in a slip w/power, you could use a hair dryer on low power to dry off some of the water on you so the smaller towels don’t have to do too much work, etc.

You also can run a string between a pair of suction hooks placed somewhere convenient, and hang these lighter towels over the string.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Retractable clothesline like they have in hotel bathrooms - $10 on Amazon. It's not elegant, but you're living in under 300 sq-ft, and you should get used to ducking under your drying laundry.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
As the Captain suggested, using micro-fiber spa towels is the way to go on a boat. We hang them on the wheel to dry. We have used them for 25 years. Replaced once.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A hint I picked up from Bill and Sue was to use your washcloth to wipe the water off your body, wringing it out as necessary. Then there is hardly any to have to dry with the bigger towel.