Registered users don't see ads

Where can I get these parts?

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by cameronkenyon31, Dec 15, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. cameronkenyon31

cameronkenyon31

Joined Dec 15, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Marathon, FL
    I just bought a Fixed Keel Catalina 22 and was sailing it this past weekend when my headstay broke. These aluminum pieces shown below broke inside my furler and I need to either buy new ones, buy used ones or make new ones. Would anyone know where to get theses?

Attached Files:

2. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    845 posts, 160 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    Who makes the furler? That would be the place to go. Depending on the age of the furler they may no longer be available. New furler?

3. cameronkenyon31

cameronkenyon31

Joined Dec 15, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Marathon, FL
    As far as I know it was made by CDI. It is an older furler and when I called CDI they said they no longer make this furler. I am curious to know if anyone has run into this problem and would know where to get some replacement parts? Those little Aluminum pieces are ALL that I need to get the head sail back up and running. If worse comes to worse I will probably end up making a fiberglass mold and recreating them. Thanks for the quick response markwbird

4. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,188 posts, 571 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD

5. cameronkenyon31

cameronkenyon31

Joined Dec 15, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Marathon, FL
    Ron20324. That piece in my hand is one of the 3 that survived unscathed. The other 5 are broken in half, multiple pieces, or bent down the middle. The good ones are 4 inches long and yes have those 4 splines. They butt up against each other to act as what I can only equate to as a bearing/bushing/locking piece that locks the furling pieces in place, to keep them lined up, while hugging the cable when the headsail is unfurled along the headstay. Excuse any miss names on the sailing terms. I am still really new at this as far as sailing terminology goes.

6. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,469 posts, 328 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Those are definitely bearings.... usually held in place by set screws in the foil.
    I've seen complete CDI FF2 furling units for $445.... before you start fabricating parts... check through the other pieces... swivel, drum, internal halyard, etc. might be cheaper and safer to replace.

7. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    845 posts, 160 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    eBay is a beautiful thing

8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,746 posts, 1,174 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH

9. py26129

py26129

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    572 posts, 93 likes
    Island Packet IP31
    CA Lake St. Louis, Montreal
    You could try a local machine shop for a quote.

These can get messed up when you raise or lower the mast when the foil kinks at the joints. We used to tie the foil ot he mast with some tension on it to minimize the kinks.

Chjeers

Matt

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.