Where are the electrical connections (furling mast)

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I was looking at the wires that run out of the base of the mast on my H33. I removed the steel cover and found the hole through the deck where the wires go but I can't find any connectors other than the one that is all taped up where the radar wires connect. Are there other connectors hiding between the deck and the soft liner? I pulled out a bit of wire but couldn't find any.

Also, there is a bold that goes through the base of the mast. I gather it's there to secure the mast so it doesn't pop-off the deck plate but I'm not sure and I can't see any reference in the user manuals. It's really rusted out so I started soaking it in penetrating oil. Does this bolt need to be removed so the mast will come up?

This is a H33, 2005.

Cheers,

Maurice

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Check in the v-berth. Around the top of the compression post there is a plate. Drop that and you'll see a junction block for all the wires.

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
Hi Scott. I found a black connector in there with a bunch of wires sticking out. The block is wrapped up in electrical tape. Is that the junction block you're talking about? I could have sworn there were other wires coming through the deck that didn't connect to that. Guess I have to take all the wires off the block and see if I can get them all disconnected.

Do you know if the bolt that goes through the bottom of the mast needs to be removed before we lift the mast off the deck?

Cheers,

Maurice

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
The wires are long and stuffed up between the deck and soft liner. Pull them down and I am sure you will find connections for all the wires. I put on individual plugs for each connection. There may be more than one cable connected to the block.

There should not be a bolt in the mast base. I would remove it completely. The mast base has a key cast into it that fits in a corresponding notch in the mast plate. There is a round dowel also cast into the mast base that makes alignment easy.

Lift the mast just below the upper spreaders.

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
Thanks Jake. I've been spraying the nut with PBlaster so hoping this will help loosen it up. I looked at the black plastic connector under the deck and it looks like most of the wires are screwed in there so I'll take a few pictures and start disconnecting everything. Almost ready for dismasting now.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
Maurice
That bolt that you are seeing that goes through the deck base plate is hopefully not also going through the plate at the bottom of the mast??
The bolt should only be going through the base plate on the deck. The bottom of the mast has a notch on each side and that bolt sits in the notch and not though any of the holes. It's there to prevent the mast from slipping fore and aft. You do not need to remove it to remove the mast.
Don't forget the wire connecting the VHF antenna which will also be in that same area.
Marc