When were the best Hunters built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Allison

It all depends

I am a traditionalist by nature, I like the lines of the older boats, in particular the Cherubini designs. I like the feel in a strong blow. She instills a feeling of confidence. And, on those chilly nights, the cabin provides for a warm and cozy feeling. It is a bit tight but enough for my family for a week or two. I have had "Whisper" since the fall of 1995 and, last season, began to feel a oneness with her. I do not like the new sleek racing designs (blunt bow, etc). The old J boats were beautiful; the new America's Cup (at least to me) are hideous. Nor do I like the overhead bridge but I do see the utility and benefits of this. But there are those individuals who would have nothing else. What I am saying is that there is a boat out there for each one of us: one that just seems to jump out and say "here I am, sail me home, I am for you" .... no matter what it is. I enjoy sailing on anyones boat ..... no matter the size or the manufacturer. The boat, I guess is unimportant: what is important is that we are all out there sailing.

S

Stephen Ostrander

point fives

I personally think the best models Hunter ever made are the 33.5, 35.5 and 37.5, built from about '88 -'95. To me they have the best combination of speed, comfort and sailing characteristics. But I'm happy for the folks that like their Cherubinis, and jealous of the folks that can afford the late-models.

C

Chuck

Smaller boats

My preference is more towards the late 70's early 80's boats. I don't like angled or no transoms as I find them a waste of cockpit space. It also appears to me that the interiors of the newer boats look more spartan than the old boats. Lastly I have no interest in racing I'm out there to "relax". Therefore I prefer heavily ballased boats like my 81 H22 or late 70's H27's. One thing for the newer boats in fairness is they make much better use of the formerly wasted space under the cockpit, ie sleeping quarters.

T

Thorp Thomas

L37.5 is it...

I've been keeping score. The L37.5 racks up the most points as the favorite boat. Even though I'm biased the 37.5 is the best designed, best built and holds it resale value, better than any other model. It's by far the best boat I've ever owned (even better than the 88 - 35.5 I had before).... However, it's for sale and we're moving on up to the 410. As I get older the thought of that innerspring mattress, bigger cockpit, ease of handling, more room and no teak (exterior) to labor over, sounds better and better every day. As someone once said, “In this business you lead, follow or get out of the way” I’m proud to be associated with the leader. Hunters just keep getting better every year.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wow, Sean D....

..your answer blew me away. I think your response is dead on and describes accurately why a definitive response is elusive, if fun. Rick D.

W

Warren Feldstein

RIGHT NOW

To all of those people on this site that have a boat in the factory at this very moment. The very best Hunters ever built is right now.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Would you buy a 30 year old Chevy?

Right now, right on! Each year there are advancements that make the latest models better, faster, and more fun.

M

Michael Cohn

I might indeed buy a 30 year old Chevy

if it were in decent condition. I'd be more likely, though, to buy a 57 Chevy if I could afford one. No plastic in that car, and an honest engine. Also no arch. :) As others have said - if I wanted an arch, I'd buy a powerboat. As it stands, my 87 H45 can outpoint and outreach and generally beat the pants off any of the new "modern" design Hunters any day of the week, in any air, and do it in comfort. My boat was built before the marketing crazies became more important than the engineers and architects at Hunter. MC

A

Alex

Not really decades..

Altough I am not familiar with older Hunters ( we don't have many of them around here..), however I think the last change was made around 94' with the B&R backstayless rig. I have notice very attractive models (35.5 , 30 ) of 90'-93' , still of previous type.

J

Justin Wolfe

If we're keeping score...

If we're keeping score I'll throw my vote in for the 37.5 as well. To me it is the most attractive, good value, well rounded, with an appealling interior. I'd put the 35.5 a distant second. As others have said, the Legend boats were the best of Hunter. I was as loyal as loyal could get in the early 90's. I knew everything about every boat Hunter built from 28.5 to 37.5. In 1994 or 1995 I just walked away, shook my head, and I've been in disbelief ever since.

T

Tom M.

TWO ROADS TO TRAVEL

There are two roads or routes a sailor, travels, first we have the traditionalist, one who spends most of the time when looking for a boat, at her deck, the width and space, also the hardware, the hull, keel shear line, stern and rudder configuration, also the size and shape of the cockpit, then most importantly, the spar and rigging, he or she will go down below to check out the engine's accessability, then the remainding time on cabinlayout. He or She will have a mental check off list of all seaworthy and cruising features. Now You have the yuppie, that spend most of their time in the cabin, checking out all the desirable comfort features, their remainding time is glancing over rigging, decks, size of cockpit, swim platform etc;. Both have a certian criterior to go by, the traditionalist reviewing all little detais,: chainplates, qty of lower shrouds, The yuppie, looking for the ease of sailing, and space, These two groups would argue about politics, religion, sex, boats, cars houses etc; how could they possibily agree which hunter is best in a cense in their way of thinking, they're both right, so don't bring them together, for any social or sailing advent, just let them enjoy their world as they see it.

G

Gregory Stebbins

Tom M

Tom, I agree with the total 1st part of your post. Hey, that's me! However I think labeling anyone a Yuppie is a little strong. After all, my father (in his 70's and still loves sailing) would call any boat with more fiberglass than wood a toxic waste site. To him, you and I are the slackers.

B

Bryan

Chubbies?

If the people who like newer Hunters are Yuppies, does that make the Cheribini fanciers "Chubbies?"

T

ted

tom m

Tom do the traditionalist sail cherubibi,s in your world? In the Northwest mainly Alaska they wouldnt be cought dead in any mass produced boat. If in the past, while walking the docks you were trying to empress them (traditionalist) with your vast Cherubini knowlage, they refered to you as a polyester sailor, it wasnt for the polyester leisure suit and gold chain you might have been wearing. You see to them the traditionalist sail boats like Hans Christian, Tayana, Cheoy lee, and a few designs by Cherubini long before hunter came along. So Tom C lets not full ourselves. If you own a Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau or Jeanneau of any year as your only boat, your not a Traditionalist, as they refer to us your a polyester sailor.

T

Thorp Thomas

A Yuppie???

After reading Tom M's post and trying to figure out just which of the two groups I fit into, I went over to the mirror and for the first time saw a Yuppie face to face. Funny, I kinda saw myself as a middle aged Vermonter intent on enjoying life to the fullest and getting the most fun out my toys. Not a Young Urban Professional driven by the pursuit of the almighty buck.... Tom, which category do you fit in? I'll bet I can guess.

B

Bryan

"Luggies"

Let's not leave the Legend fans out of this. We must be "Luggies."

J

Jay Hill

But we are all collectively...

.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... HUGGIES!!!!!!

D

Don H.

The Legend Point .5 series were the best Hunter's

The Hunter Legends can't be beat for performance cruising (unless you have lots of money for C&C, Saber or X-Yachts). I own a 1992 Hunter Legend 37.5. Hunter lost me as a new boat customer when they went the route of the arches. Most of the "arches" are tied up at their docks in the marina, while I am out sailing. They make a great dockside partyboat, with lots of room below. The new arches don't have the sailing performance of the old Legends. Shame on Hunter for discontinuing the performance cruisers.

B

Bryan

Certain trend here ...

I seem to notice a certain trend that each Huggie's favorite class of Hunter sailboat just coincidentally happens to be the type of boat they own. Shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.