when something little turns in to something more

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
that looks good Stingy! I contemplated following the ABYC color code but end the end was to cheap to buy all the different color wires. couple that with only having a few things wired in made me content to just use red and black

Apr 1, 2010
WELL... after the weather man went back and forth several times, I woke up around 4am and checked the weather (I wake up intermittently and feel compelled to check the weather when im going sailing) to see that today was now the favored day. the boat was a MESS and the mast was still up since I was planning to go tomorrow. the motor needed to be cranked since it hasn't ran since January and it needed to be put back on the boat. well, those details weren't going to keep me from going!!!!

thanks to Gene for the pics

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Awesome loved it I will do the same, not real sure about this weekend, my son has a bad sinus infection and there is no one else to help right now.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Great pictures, a great looking boat, a happy satisfied captian and mate, what could be better? James

Apr 1, 2010
thanks everyone!

Spartacus, I didn't use any backing plates. I just used some 1" long sheetmetal screws fastened to the wall there.

Apr 1, 2010
well since the last post I have finished a few things. I made a mount for the gps out of red oak:

I made a berth for my new best friend Ray:

and I installed the 50w renogy solar panel. for this I had a old fiberglass vhf antenna, rendered useless by a PO who cut the coaxial up against the antenna. I cut it down to size then filled it with epoxy resin to make a solid fiberglass rod. works out real nice as the easily adjustable base allows me to angle it to compensate for heeling

I spent the past two weekends on the boat testing everything out. the first trip didn't work out so well (good thing it was a test trip right?). the gps wouldn't read depth. for some reason, the spot where it was mounted in the boat was causing issues. I had it next to the thru hull for the cockpit drains. after some playing around at the ramp I found that it would work well on the opposite side of the thru hull. not sure why it didn't work in the first location. Once out, my wife was feeling nauseous so I only got to use the tiller pilot for about 30 min. that was her first night on the boat and a success in the sense that I worked out some kinks and thoughts of some things we need to make sure to bring on the upcoming BEER cruise.

last weekend I went by myself to a lake near here. everything functioned as it should and I had a great time. total distance traveled was 33 miles and only about 4 of that was motoring. even had a good night sail! click to see the video

the next morning I did a "fly by" on Gene Neill. luckily he caught it on tape so a huge thanks to him!! click to see the video

Apr 1, 2010
I suppose with that post comes the conclusion of my rebuild thread. all I have left now is to wetsand and buff the port side of the boat... I did install some mastgates from mastgates.com yesterday, they are fantastic, as I heard they would be!

Whats next? well... back to what I was SUPPOSED to be doing this past spring before I broke the keel hanger bolt... this poor gal had already had the cap removed and I was in the process of removing the splashwell when peewee stole my attention. I put the cap back on and she got stuck in the woods. I guess its time to pull her back out and get going again. She is a Kevlar ex-marathon race boat. I am (obviously) doing a FULL rebuild on this, with all coosa (for weight savings and never having to worry about rot again).

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I suppose with that post comes the conclusion of my rebuild thread. all I have left now is to wetsand and buff the port side of the boat... I did install some mastgates from mastgates.com yesterday, they are fantastic, as I heard they would be!

Whats next? well... back to what I was SUPPOSED to be doing this past spring before I broke the keel hanger bolt... this poor gal had already had the cap removed and I was in the process of removing the splashwell when peewee stole my attention. I put the cap back on and she got stuck in the woods. I guess its time to pull her back out and get going again. She is a Kevlar ex-marathon race boat. I am (obviously) doing a FULL rebuild on this, with all coosa (for weight savings and never having to worry about rot again).
Congrats on the job. Nice work.

I'm liking the GPS mount.
That solar panel is smaller that I would expect for a 50w unit.

Didn't that race boat get used in the James bond movie Live and Let die :D ? ?

Last edited:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thanks for the extra effort it took to share the "PeeWee" project with us. James

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Thanks for the thread and especially all the pictures! You've done some beautiful work and I look forward to more posts from you in the future.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Good looking work, Hawk232

One point that I haven't seen anyone bring up in this wiring discussion is color coding. Mostly it's not a big deal unless you're a recovering perfectionist like I am, but it does become practically important if you intend to add shore power to your boat. In that case, black AC wires and black DC wires don't play well together and make circuit tracing a nightmare. For that reason, the ABYC color code for negative DC conductors is yellow.
Sorry. I just had to comment on colour coding wires. Some people seem to be lazy and repair existing wiring with whichever colour wire they have at hand. Mixing different colours in a single run. :naughty:

This comment is aimed at them, Edit: Definitely Not aimed at the work shown in this thread.

Yesterday I was diagnosing some wiring issues with a friend's RV/trailer.
On tracing the location & colour, and testing operation of the wiring, I discovered that behind the fridge, someone in the past, had replaced a portion of black wire with a piece of smaller gauge red. Then, I'm guessing, that someone was repairing exterior lighting wiring, and saw the red wired and spliced it into to the other red wires (old wiring code from the early 70's).

End result.. the left turn signal also powered the interior lights on the driver side.
(In addition, using the smaller gauge was a fire waiting to happen, but that wasn't my point)

My point is, even though you may know what the different wire is for, someone in the future may not, and it can cause problems. Use the right colour for the job

Last edited:

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I'm actually looking forward to you sharing your race boat rebuild. If you decide to share your project please let me know where I can view the progress. I loved following what you did with "Pee Wee" Russ

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Leeward- it is a tad unclear as to whether that was a round-a-bout criticism or not (I can handle it either way) I will simply say that I didn't want to spend the money on all the different colors I would need and I only have a few things so I kept it simple. Red=+ black =-

Russ- I will definitely be documenting it as well but on a site more geared to that crowd (mods if this isn't allowed, please remove it- www.screamandfly.com). I will send you a link once it's started.

I will probably give myself a break since this has been almost a second full time job. The laser probably won't be touched until fall.