when something little turns in to something more

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
the days are now filled with TONS of little projects. today, I put the last coat of paint on the table top, put what is HOPEFULLY the last layer of fairing compound on the keel, sanded and put first coat of cetol on all the remaining wood trim, then kiwi gripped the hatches

then I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled then polished the lewmar 7s in anticipation of re-installation

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Very impressed, with the quaility and volumn of your accomplishments.
Regards, James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Hawk, I hate to take you back in time but, is the turning ball accessable by taking off the keel cable hose?
"then I went inside the boat to take a break. for whatever reason I grapped onto the hose for the keel cable and it seemed awfully flexible. I then proceeded to remove it with ZERO effort!!! man did I luck out that it didn't come off while sailing! then I saw the turning ball:"
I want to check mine out.
thanks James

Apr 1, 2010
Yes sir. Pull off the volcano tube and the ball is right there in the fiberglass "nipple". There is a pin that goes through the fiberglass that holds it in.

Apr 1, 2010
long time no posts. at this stage its just a ton of small details coming together, so not much to report. I finished bedding all hardware (except windows), finished everything in order to get the keel back in (will be putting keel back in sunday)

cockpit put back together

I don't remember if I posted this, but here is my table

boat and keel soaking up the sun and enjoying each others company for the first time in months

I JUST NOW finished putting the glass back in the frames... what an absolutely MISERABLE job!!

and here is my plan for getting the keel back under the boat

maiden voyage is set for next Saturday!!

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Really a nice looking table and cockpit. I have the window reseal to look forward too. Sorry to hear you indicate it is a pain in the ass. If it is trouble for you then I’ll have a nightmare.
James

Apr 1, 2010
"I'M COMING HOME!!!!"

also got the windows installed last night (pic was taken during test fit, the windows now sit straight with each other)

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Great work, I'm envious of your keel hanger surgery. Can you give me a hint how you did that?
James

Apr 1, 2010
its not very hard James, just time consuming. I marked each hanger with a line at 0.424 inches (in my case). then I put it in a jawhorse (vice would work) and used a reciprocating saw to cut it (erring to the side of too little material removal). after that I would measure the hanger width with calipers then grind down the high areas with a 40 grit flapwheel on a side grinder. I did this until the desired width was obtained. by slowly sanding it down and measuring I was able to keep them even

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I really like your hull color...

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
thanks, I have a recepricating saw, a vise, and a half a** angle grinder. i just get to it.
Thanks again, James

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
can you take a video of the maiden sail? I'm sure every one loves sailing video's as much as I

Apr 1, 2010
I absolutely will piedpiper!! There has been a disappointing lack of videos lately hasn't there?

Apr 1, 2010
well, no videos this weekend... winds were forecast to be light and variable so I didn't even bother. instead I mounted the bimini top. also replaced trailer bunks yesterday (and made sure boat didn't have any leaks and that the keel went down smoothly)

of course, the winds at my house and been plenty enough for sailing... guessing I probably should have gone. oh well. next weekend my wife will get to go so it should be even better

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
plenty of wind here but I had no one to go with and for the first sail with this boat I wanted an extra hand. So I worked all day on my power boat now it's almost ready.