when something little turns in to something more

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
You mentioned in a previous post you were going to use Collodial Silica, now below you say you have a big pale of Cabosil, two totally diff fillers. Maybe a typo, no worries... and I totally agree Cabosil is the way to go if you have a good quantity already on hand and you also have quite a bit more experience using it.
If find Collodial Silica, by volume, get used up in mixing compounds way faster than microfibers or HD filler because it is sooooo fine and light. I do use it extensively though for filleting and adhesive, it is great for that. Also, as I mentioned before, adding just a bit of C. Silica to a mix of other filler or fairing compound helps reduce trapped air bubbles.
I think your keel will come out awesome. You were really lucky to find that repair done in SS on your keel pin hole, it looks bomb proof and will save you many headaches.

Stingy- I was planning to do the same (have them call me asap), hopefully that will work out.

Cloud- having done two entire boat builds from literally a bare hill with no stringers (and a third currently, a Kevlar raceboat), I guess you can say I am stuck in my ways. I have a 2gal pale of cabosil that after two entire boats is only about 25% empty, not sure what you mean by being used up fast? I also have 1 gal of microballons for fairing after.

I do appreciate the alternate opinions though as we have just made it clear that there is more than one way to skin a cat!!

Sep 8, 2014
Also, same as you are planning I used 2 layers of 6oz biax tape on the leading edge, and one layer on the trailing edge of my keel which you can see in my resto thread. Great Idea!

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Colloidal silica and cabosil are one and the same. It is my understanding that cabosil was originally fumed silica but since fumed silica became unavailable in 2008 cabosil is now colloidial... At any rate there properties are nearly identical with the exception of very minor textural differences. They are both difficult to sand but provide strength and adhesion. Whichever my cabosil is, those are the properties I desire. If I didn't have a template then I would choose your route and go with something easier to work with but since I do I prefer the strength.

I managed to drop the keel off at lunch to the blaster. He is going to do it Monday and be in touch ASAP... I should get it back monday!

Apr 1, 2010
well today was semi productive (despite the in laws being in town). since I was forced into this quick restoration I decided to move my raceboat project out and put Peewee under the cover

then the sandblaster called. apparently it took 4.5 hrs to blast it?? seems unlikely to me, but what do I know... they gave me a "deal" and only charged me for 3hrs. $240 OUCH!!!

then came the epoxy. I managed to do a first coat on both sides

then I came inside and opened up some presents that the ups man left

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Wow, looks like you lost a lot of material off your keel, not to mention your wallet ; ) Maybe it was mostly like that under the old coatings? Be generous building it back up.

Sep 8, 2014
Hawk, let us know how that gallon of KiwiGrip works out. I'm still on the fence about what I'll doing with my non-skid. I've heard they changed the formulation of KiwiGrip and that it does not accept tint very well, which would be a bummer if true. Also, I've read some opinions that the texture can be hard on your bare feet where as others say the 'rubberized' composition makes it great. I dunno, but your practical experience could answer those questions in this forum.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Hawk, you know your keel actually looked pretty good from the original photo. I am getting ready to drop mine for inspection. I have read several articles where people only ground out the bad spots and refinished. What made you decide to sandblast the entire keel?

Apr 1, 2010
Cloud- will do. It will be a couple weeks before its on and even longer before used though. I did read the reviews about it being harsh but I also read reviews saying that its not harsh enough. The intensity is dictated by how wet it is when you roll it with the texture roller. Wet= less aggressive, drier= more aggressive. I also read about the tinting but didn't read much on it since I wasn't planning to tint mine.

Hillbilly- mine was in good shape before. Truthfully I got sucked into the whole sandblasting is the "right" way to do it thing... Apparently the PO did a good job sealing it as there was no rust at all outside of the areas where it was obvious. My opinion now IN MY SITUATION is that is was a waste of 240 (blast) and at least 100 for a gallon of epoxy, might need another gallon yet...

Sep 8, 2014
I think you did the right thing sandblasting. Even if the PO had done a good job sealing it before he obviously didn't do it well enough if any rust had appeared at a later time. You have no idea what type of resin he used and how well the cast iron was prepped and cleaned before the sealer was applied. My guess is there was moisture or contamination present when it was coated last time which why parts of it eventually rusted again. Since you are now using epoxy resin over a very clean and dry substrate you can have confidence that your keel will be good for another 20 years, even 30.

I do agree with you that $240 was way too much for sandblasting. I paid $120 for mine in San Diego. Since everything is pretty expensive down here in SoCal I think that is a pretty good base-line for others to determine if they got a good deal or not. I think Stingy Sailor paid $90 and he is in the mid-west. If you ever have another job that needs sand blasting, boat related or not, I'd go back to that guy and twist his arm for ripping you off the last time. He probably has a weak compressor that couldn't keep the pressure up so it took him longer than he wanted, plus he probably didn't have the right lifting equipment to move it around and was being a cry-baby. If he doesn't play ball and give you a $100 credit on the next job nail him to the wall on Yelp! and make sure you tell all your friends to take business elsewhere.

Cloud- will do. It will be a couple weeks before its on and even longer before used though. I did read the reviews about it being harsh but I also read reviews saying that its not harsh enough. The intensity is dictated by how wet it is when you roll it with the texture roller. Wet= less aggressive, drier= more aggressive. I also read about the tinting but didn't read much on it since I wasn't planning to tint mine.

Hillbilly- mine was in good shape before. Truthfully I got sucked into the whole sandblasting is the "right" way to do it thing... Apparently the PO did a good job sealing it as there was no rust at all outside of the areas where it was obvious. My opinion now IN MY SITUATION is that is was a waste of 240 (blast) and at least 100 for a gallon of epoxy, might need another gallon yet...

Apr 1, 2010
I agree with you on all the points you made. I will most certainly have peace of mind in the keel. The regret comes from the fact that this entire "restoration" comes from lots of hard lessons (have I mentioned this isn't my first go 'round??) that I typically become bored with a boat/car/atv whatever after 3 or so years. I don't need the keel to last 20 or 30 more LOL.

As for the sandblast price, I pushed on the guy kind of hard about the time it took and he didn't give any indication that he was stretching it out (not that I am the best lie detector). I finally decided that I have no way to prove whether it was legit or not and to just move on...

Honestly, I hadn't given ANY thought to how much of that time went into them moving it around!

Apr 1, 2010
well I am getting close on one side. the final shape is somewhere between a naca 12 profile from clouddiver's thread and the original profile of the keel.

in between coats of epoxy I convinced the wife to help me gut the interior and strip most of the remaining hardware

since I am paranoid about rot (not sure why, might have something to do with like 7 out of 9 boats that I have owned had rot!!) and will be re-doing the deck entirely, I decided to use a hole saw to test the foredeck since it flexed a little when I walk on it (didn't know if it was the deck or me at 260lbs)... turns out its just me :( as it is dry as can be in there

unfortunately, I knew the cabin top had some rot near the nav light/mast step so I started exploring today. right where the light was is beginning to rot, but the rest is sound. just very wet. any thoughts on how I should proceed? the shape would make replacement difficult, but possible. can I just replace the rotten area and let the rest dry out??

Sep 8, 2014
Ouch... major surgery. The only rot I had was in that same area just around the mast light deck fitting. It wasn't nearly that big though, maybe 4 x 4 inches.

By the way, I never actually used the NACA foil to make a template. After I finished applying the thickened filler I used a sure form tool and orbital sander with 80 grit to rough out the shape, just kind of going with flow so to say. I kept eye balling it from the leading and trailing edges to make sure it appeared symmetrical. When I felt confident I had it about 95% fair I put on the fairing filler and did the rest with long boards and finer sand pear on the orbital. It just kind of worked itself out being slow and careful.

Apr 1, 2010
that's kind of what I will be doing... luckily I thought ahead and traced the old keel shape before I stripped it. I cut out a template of each and I am using the "old" template in the front where the keel is thicker than the naca template will allow for and I am gauging with the naca template once the resin is a little harder to keep the general profile in mind.

I am not going to go too crazy on it. I have a 14" pneumatic "board" sander that I will use to get it straight then that will be that...

how much resin did you use on your keel?? I have used almost a gallon on this one side... its ridiculous!!

Sep 8, 2014
I also used a whole gallon and then a little more from the second. It was really my own fault. The first 3 coats were straight resin 'barrier coats'. After the first coat I should have gone directly to thickened filler since I was applying coats very soon after kicking off so there was no need to sand. I'm pretty sure I would have saved two quarts of resin that way and would still have been able to build the same thickness of filler and fairing coat. Besides, after all is said and done I am still using Interlux Interprotect 2000 to prime before bottom paint. Capt Don's suggestion was to use that primer first which is what he did, and I'm sure it would have worked out well and saved resin but I didn't want to spend $100 on the gallon of Interlux when I already had the resin on hand, plus I would have wanted to prime it again with that product after the fairing was done.

that's kind of what I will be doing... luckily I thought ahead and traced the old keel shape before I stripped it. I cut out a template of each and I am using the "old" template in the front where the keel is thicker than the naca template will allow for and I am gauging with the naca template once the resin is a little harder to keep the general profile in mind.

I am not going to go too crazy on it. I have a 14" pneumatic "board" sander that I will use to get it straight then that will be that...

how much resin did you use on your keel?? I have used almost a gallon on this one side... its ridiculous!!

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Every one seems to have big jobs I guess I was lucky but at first I thought I had a mess. I am also lucky because no salt water use on this boat at all.. But I may change that this year. Good luck with the rebuild. I don't have to fare my keel at all, maybe if I were a racer but it is symmetrical and in great shape. My bottom needs attention but I will get to that at the end of this year way to many things going on now.

Apr 1, 2010
I sanded the keel yesterday in prep for a final skim coat on the first side today. I didn't have much I had to fill. after this is done I will do the other side this weekend then work on the leading/trailing edges

I also started cutting out the wood on the cabin top. its REALLY thin... like 1/4" thin...

and apparently there are two skins under that

after seeing how thin the wood is I am not going to replace with wood. I am going to just use thicked epoxy for some structure where the first skin was then I am going to use 1708 biax to make a composite mast step and "core" where the wood was removed...

here is after sanding and cleaning it all up

Apr 1, 2010
not much to show for on Peewee from the weekend... I just finished sanding the one side of the keel for the final time and flipped it over to prepare to get the other side going. my big project was to cure some frustration I have had for years now. I like my air tools... and especially my DA sander on a project like this. my craftsman 33gal 2hp oil less compressor DOES NOT like my air tools, ESPECIALLY my DA and line sanders....

this proved itself on the good side of the keel to cure my frustration. (I guess 17cfm vs 6.4 will do that!!) but the installation (had to run 240v to it and plumb it) distracted me from the real work at hand...

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Nice. You can probably do small to medium size sandblasting jobs with that thing, eh?

Apr 1, 2010
I have looked at the cheap blasters and they require 9-25cfm and this one puts out 17cfm so I could do a little bit of sandblasting. might have to wait for it to catch up on big jobs though.

Apr 1, 2010
well the other day I used a counter sink bit and beveled all of the holes that I intend to fill (outer genoa tracks, bimini mount points, clutches on cabin top and misc other holes) then today I filled all the holes. I also epoxies the "plugs" of fiberglass back in and will be working on fairing those soon.

then I cut small pieces of wood to fill the gap between the two liners

and cut some biax to fit where the soft wood was removed. I didn't glass anything because its supposed to rain tomorrow and the next day and I feared it might start before the resin cured.