Wheel Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Hey RPand Paul, I found that the Raymarine C90W needed to have the Auto Pilot software interface enabled in order for it to display the correct status and allow the C90w to direct the AP. Also, I needed to set the C90w to display "magnetic" readings, otherwise what the GPS indicated as a heading and what the Autopilot displayed were not the same.
I remounted the Fluxgate where Paul has his because the deviation under the sink was 16, Too high!. I now get 2 when I do the SEA trial circles.
As far as general ability to keep a heading. In steady wind she does great especially close hauled, but off the wind in gusty conditions it doesn't seem to respond quick enough and with enough gain to keep her honest. I currently have the gain set to 3 I will increase it next time I encounter those conditions.
All in all I'm very happy with the unit and especially the way it plays with the C90W. I can set a way point and it will steer her to it and let me know when I have arrived. Next I will see if I can set a route and see if it will follow it.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
For GPS hook up was there ...

anything special you needed to do? I have a Humminbird and a Garmin unit installed.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
How are they connected, NEMA, or SeaTalk through another Raymarine instrument?

Sep 29, 2008
Gains and not so gains

Managed to get a few things done this weekend. Started in on the calibrations and I think I am nearly done except for the "Auto Learn" step which I could not find on the stupid menu. I contacted Raymarine this morning with a WTFO. Other wise went through the compass alignment, rudder alignment, etc and all went well. Really aggravating as it was a long trip back and the AP would have been nice to use.

Also plugged forward on the GPS to S1 and DSC radio with no luck - in fact now the chartplotter is not talking to the GPS. But, before everything went SNAFU I was able to put a meter on the NMEA output and see the words being transmitted on the line so it is either at the wrong rate or the S1 and Radio are hosed up. Frustrating as there is very little documentation from any of these vendors (Raymarine, Humminbird or Standard Horizon).

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
RP, no Auto Learn for non-Gyro units.
For the Manual setup, I have the Rudder Gain set to 4, Auto Trim set to 3 and the Response set to 2. If you have the ST60 wind, as I have mine finally working, and press the Auto and Standby at the same time while sailing close hauled it will make corrections for wind shifts. Raymarine certainly has there instruments well integrated.
ST60+ wind/depth/speed, w/C90W, and S1 playing well together!

Sep 29, 2008
Thanks

Raymarine tech support did respond that AutoLearn was for S1G units. My take is it could have been clearer in the manual. I was trying to be a good nuke and follow the directions explicitly.

I agree that the Sea Talk is a nice piece of integration.

I am still working on getting my AP, radio and GPS to talk together.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The integration troubles you're experiencing is why I stayed with a single manufacture, unfortunately I have per-existing West Marine radio w/AIS...next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.