Wheel Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Drilled the right holes, it was all the other ...

Ray
If you drilled the right holes in wheel pilot everything will fit....if not double check.
paulj :troll:
stuff that was a pain. If I left the drive motor on the right the engine control panel was too high. If I tried to swap it over to the other side (which for a left hander like me was a bit nicer) it still did not match either hole for the brace. My best solution seems to be to follow Witzends advice and lower the engine CP. I will get to it this weekend.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I could see no way around it, again it was not a big deal, just remember to screw the front panel back on what you start trying to twist it free.

Sep 29, 2008
Sea Talk Cables

Paul, Witzend, When you installed your AP's did you need an additional SeaTalk cable? With my ST60 depth, wind and speed, they are jumpered together and adding in the AP control head, it seemed like I should be jumpering that all in too. I ran the long sea talk cable that came with it to the computer, but there was no extra jumper for the sea talk. Is this something I can just get at West Marine or do I need to order it online?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Ray
My S1 did not come with an extra Seatalk cable.
I had a spare Seatalk cable laying around.

Sep 29, 2008
Very good. Anyone know of a good source for 1' Sea Talk Cables

Ray
My S1 did not come with an extra Seatalk cable.
I had a spare Seatalk cable laying around.
Checked at West Marine and they don't carry them in their catalog. Looked online and only found one in the UK on E-Bay. I am really not sure I need it as I can just move one of the jumpers from the depth and speed over to the AP and wind instruments. I don't think the AP or wind care about the other sensors.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I bought an extra, but when I got everythin in I had an extra... Go figure...
I think it came with my ST60 wind. Probably good to have a spare anyway.

Sep 29, 2008
1 Meter = 3 feet

Saw all of those. I have several 1' jumpers in my pod which is a nice size. If I need it I can go with the 1m cable, but may just try splitting the buses anyway as there is no real advantage to leaving them connected.

I did find a picture of the flush mount bracket for my Standard Horizon radio. It looks like I will need to undo the two screws and then pull it out far enough to unscrew the brackets off to get to the radio. I will let you know this weekend. My manual and their web site show most plotters but the Humminbird, but with only 2 wires I think I can figure it out on the 1st or 2nd try.

Now if I can just remember where I saved that MMSI number ...

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Paul

Paul, Did you make any paper templates of your rudder position bracket? If so, could you scan them and post. Mine is pretty ugly, and I would like to scam off your work.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Ray
How about if I post some sketches with dimensions?
I'm out of town and will be back on 04/08/2009

Sep 29, 2008
Thanks - One more question for all

Paul, I have been looking at a lot of options for the RPS and yours is the most elegant I have seen and most suited to my set up. I am assuming that you needed a 21+" metal strap to secure the pieces.

This is pretty minor, but I thought I would ask. In the install I originally wired power for the control head through existing SeaTalk and did not uses the power connector on the SeaTalk bus connected to the computer down below. I also put the course computer on it's own circuit using the unused TV switch on my panel. With that set up I received the message "No course computer" when the computer was off. So I swapped it to get power from the computer and disconnected the red power wire from the sea talk network in my pod (coming off of the NAV/COMM switch thinking that many times I may not want course computer on. But now I get a Sea Talk network error if the course computer is on, but not the NAV/COMM is not. Does this really matter?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Should not matter where the power is comming from, although the power sequencing would seem to be an issue here. I have the course computer wired to the NAV/COM breaker and the controller getting it's power from SeaTalk that gets it's power from the same breaker. All power up at the same time. Now if I only can get the time to do the sea trial and finish the setup I will be good to go.

Sep 29, 2008
Thanks

Paul, Witzend, All good ideas. I may just leave the AP hooked up to a 2nd breaker that I turn on when I need it. Don't know how much power it uses, but I am always trying to be power efficient.

I also need to do the sea trial as my GPS is about 10 degrees off from what my compass says, and the fluxgate is also off.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Ray
The fluxgate will be 180 degrees different then your main compass if the big round part of fluxgate is facing aft.
GPS is a true bearing.
Main compass is magnetic and will have a standard deviation depending on your location....it should referenced on your map.

I hope your new GPS isn't mounted to close to your main compass and effecting it...
or like the guy who after three years finally figured out the problem with his main compass was he always had hung his binoculars next to the compass thus producing his problem.

Sep 29, 2008
Fluxgate

Actually I installed the fluxgate behind the rear bunk on that bulkhead. I was going to put it under the sink, but after checking with a compass there was something in there ferrous so after checking I put it near the steering pedestal.

I will check on the fluxgate was it is pointed up correctly, but is facing to the rear. I am assuming there is something in the calibration procedure to correct that.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, mine is 180 off facing aft. The sea trial procedure should allow you to correct for that.
I have noticed that my compass and GPS are about 10deg. off, makes sense now that I know that the GPS is not correcting for standard deviation. Still 10deg seems a little much.

Sep 29, 2008
PaulJ - Total Genius?

Perhaps, his rig for mounting the RPS worked great!

Paul, Thanks for the plans, they worked out fantastic. I still have to do the calibration, but it is all working. BTW, I cleaned up your drawing for posterity. Couldn't have been easier to make and install.

I am still screwing around with getting the GPS to talk to the AP and to the radio, but should have plenty of time to get it this weekend as well as finish the AP calibration.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.