Registered users don't see ads

Whats wrong....

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by MaryEllaRose, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:56 PM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    ...with this picture? Did I manage to get the cable wrapped the wrong way on the drum? I changed the cable, turning ball and hose after repairing a loose volcano tube but after putting it all back together something just doesn't look right. The cable seems like it's too far to the port side and doesn't line up with the turning ball. On which side of the drum should the cable exit?

Attached Files:

2. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    455 posts, 124 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    If winding clockwise raised it and counter clockwise lowers it you did it right. Mine bends a little to right as well, each time you raise and lower the cable will wind a little different.

3. Megaro76

Megaro76

Joined Aug 18, 2016
    50 posts, 21 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Michigan Holland, MI
    Just did this work myself and the new tube had the same slight bend. Looks correct to me as well

4. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    It just seemed to me that the cable should be in line with the turning ball. Mine is at about a 10 - 15 degree angle. If the winch was closer to starboard it would line up better but nothing was changed. The holes in the step are in the same place, etc. It just looks weird...

Tom G

5. Jacomo Sailor

Jacomo Sailor

Joined Feb 11, 2015
    124 posts, 24 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake Jacomo
    Might I suggest that you get a black Sharpie and write the install date in the blue stripe on the tube. You'll always know at a glance how long it's been since it was last changed. I did that to mine with the intention that I will replace it every five years.

6. CaptDon01

CaptDon01

Joined Nov 19, 2008
    2,095 posts, 139 likes
    Catalina C-22 MK-II
    US Parrish, FL Parrish, FL
    Looking at the photo I see a gate valve on the cockpit drainage system, this indicates to me a vintage C-22, and the keel winch sure looks new. or at least newer, no corrosion, and some aluminum stock on the top mounting of the winch. I suspect the keel winch has been replaced with the wrong winch by someone trying to save some money. The cable should run through the middle of the tube like the photo shows. Granted, this is a new C-22 Sport, but it illustrates how the keel cable should look when correct. They have looked like this for almost 50 years of production.

Don
    PHOTO-5.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM
  7. pclarksurf

pclarksurf

Joined Jul 13, 2015
    392 posts, 147 likes
    Catalina 22 #2552
    US Kennewick, WA
    Agree with @CaptDon01 -- you are in my era ('73) with the drain hardware-- and also agree your winch is likely justified a bit too far to port. I slaved over the placement you see here to pinpoint center when I replaced the entire step and the winch:
    IMG_3028.JPG

8. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    It is a '73 but when I replaced the winch three years ago I bought it through Catalina direct so I'm sure it's the correct winch. When I did all that I reinforced the step but used the same mounting hole location, just longer bolts. The shims are to level the winch so the cable doesn't wrap over itself. It's worked well for the last three years, I felt it was time to change the cable, ball and hose just on general principles.
    I agree that the cable should run straight but moving the winch is the only way I can see that happening. Something just isn't making sense....

Tom G

9. CaptDon01

CaptDon01

Joined Nov 19, 2008
    2,095 posts, 139 likes
    Catalina C-22 MK-II
    US Parrish, FL Parrish, FL
    If you bought the winch from Catalina Direct, it's the correct winch, (some have been know to buy one off Amazon, not knowing what they are getting, other than it looked the same), Keep in mind, your boat is 43 years old, the "same" winch is probably no longer available and the mounting holes will most likely be different. If you want to make the winch mount stronger, why not simply fill the gap between the liner and the companionway. I would use some scrapes of fiberglass stock, or maybe some oak or maple blocks epoxied into position. Now you are transferring the load to be shared by the liner and the hull. You have strengthened the companionway for sure, but the load is still being carried by the deck assembly. I had a similar situation on my MK-II that I noticed when I was installing the battery charger. My gap wasn't as large as the gap on your boat, so I was able to pump some 3M5200 in the opening along the sides and across the front to bond the deck and the hull liner together at that point. This eliminated the flexing you could feel when stepping into the cabin.

Don
    DUAL BATTERY 007.jpg
    DUAL BATTERY 010.JPG

10. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    I strengthened the companion way step as well. 1" oak on the top, 1/4" aluminum on the bottom. There's no flexing going on. I looked at the old winch (I never throw anything away) and noticed that the spool is much smaller, about 1", than on the new winch, about 2". This may account for the difference in the angle of the cable. How much harm would there be in just leaving it as it is? I've sailed for three season like this.

Tom G

11. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    5,559 posts, 495 likes
    MacGregor, Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Ayup. Keep an eye on it for any chafe, and maybe rotate the hose now and then?

12. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,532 posts, 347 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    PC, I hope you replace those 2 clear plastic hoses with proper marine items..

13. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    That's what I was thinking...just keep an eye on things but I'm concerned about the cable putting side load on the turning ball. I looked at the old ball and there's some indications that has been going on. Also, it looks like the ball hadn't been turning. I'll post pix later.

Tom G

14. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    5,559 posts, 495 likes
    MacGregor, Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    The photo you did post first, is that with the keel up or down?

15. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
  16. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    1,970 posts, 470 likes
    Catalina 22, Albin Vega 27
    US central Florida
    I always thought mine was a little "oddball" ...

[​IMG]

17. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    Attached is a picture of the old turning ball. There's an indication that some side loading was going on as evidenced by the wear mark offset to one side of the ball's groove. Also it appears that the ball wasn't rotating as indicated by the flat spot. Note that the flat spot is also offset to one side. This turning ball has the delrin bearing, by the way.
    My concern is that if the cable doesn't run exactly in the center of the groove of the ball, the ball will be side loaded against the tube and won't rotate. I really don't want to relocate the winch, I just sealed a new oak support to the cabin step and am afraid that drilling more holes will weaken the cabin step further.

Turning Ball.JPG

18. Hardhead

Hardhead

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    57 posts, 15 likes
    Catalina Catalina 22
    US Southern MD Solomon's Island
    Is there any extra cable length wrapped onto the winch spool? Maybe you could take off a foot or so - probably a small difference but might help an incremental amount in bringing the cable drop to the left.

It would be a fair amount of work, but maybe you could re-drill the mounting holes on the winch backing plate, and shift them over an inch and re-bolt?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM
  19. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    167 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    With the keel fully raised there's a single full layer of cable on the spool plus three turns. I don't think cutting off a foot or so would significantly reduce the diameter of the cable + spool. There's not enough material on the base of the winch to re-drill the holes, at least not enough to matter.

Thanx for the suggestions.....

Tom G

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.