Registered users don't see ads

What’s wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by Kermit, Mar 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,623 posts, 1,807 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    It appears to be correctable. Since it’s for sale maybe they should.

Attached Files:

jon hansen likes this.
  2. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,025 posts, 488 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    is it more that 5 things but less than 10?

Kermit likes this.
  3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,362 posts, 838 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Doesn't appear to be far enough forward on the trailer.

Kermit and jon hansen like this.
  4. Amos Cape

Amos Cape

Joined Feb 1, 2010
    209 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    US El Dorado Lake, Kansas
    It not in the water!

SVChrysalis and Kermit like this.
  5. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,623 posts, 1,807 likes
    Hunter 260

BlowMeAway likes this.
  6. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    966 posts, 434 likes
    Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
    It’s missing “The Hoople”... no balance in the boat name. Also the boat brand is quite misleading based on the OP’s image.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Kermit and justsomeguy like this.
  7. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    966 posts, 434 likes
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca

8. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,623 posts, 1,807 likes
    Hunter 260
    I missed that. In fact, I missed ole Mott for their entire career. I woulda never heard of them if not for XM radio. And all they play is “All the Young Dudes.” Weird stuff. But I gave up my subscription and now play my iPod a lot. (Original issue.) All the hits all the time.

9. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,623 posts, 1,807 likes
    Hunter 260
    I missed that, too.

BlowMeAway likes this.
  10. BlowMeAway

BlowMeAway

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    966 posts, 434 likes
    US Cayuga Lake, Ithaca
    Apparently this boat, or at least the trailer, is designed to do wheelies. At most take your head off when you attempt to hook up to the the truck hitch? Looks like an easy fix as you have pointed out originally @Kermit.

Kermit likes this.
  11. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    392 posts, 124 likes
    S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    Nothing!!! Go online and look at other pictures of the same boat on the trailer and you will find many sitting just like that on the trailer. Maybe all of the ballast is in the forward part of the keel. I've got 5' of keel after the ballast stops on a 9' keel. I have jack stands under the rear of a boat with 1000# of tongue weight to take weight off the tires during storage. Maybe after the new tongue jack was installed (and I will jump to a conclusion here since it seems to be in fashion) and it had been sitting on that block, he didn't want to carry a 28 # block back to trip on it in the garage. I guess I think different than the rest of you. Humm, and I like that...;)

LloydB and Kermit like this.
  12. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    5,477 posts, 328 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    Not enough information, the cinder block and the jack stands could be there to allow the owner to get on board without having the trailer do a wheelie. I can't tell from the picture if at least half of the keel is forward of the axle and God knows what could be stored in the cabin for travel. The load is balanced when the desired tongue weight is attained and the trailer rails are parallel to a flat and level ground. Adjustments can be made by moving the boat back and forth or moving the axle back and forth. Small adjustments in tongue weight can be made by moving the hitch ball up or down.

13. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,961 posts, 899 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    It looks like the winch can be moved forward a good amount.

Kermit likes this.
  14. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    392 posts, 124 likes
    S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    I've got another question about what might be wrong with this boat / trailer combination. What is the maximum overhang past the trailer or lights that is allowed? This is one of those questions that would probably vary by state. I doubt if law enforcement would stop you, but a good attorney would have you on the ropes if there client got smashed in the face with that engine mount. A large overhang is probably present on 90% of the sailboat trailers on the road. I've always been concerned with this issue and have designed or re-designed trailers to fix the problem. I made a nice light bar that would hang on the back of my old San Juan 21 but it was close to the 60" height limit on brake / tail lights here in AZ.

15. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,489 posts, 525 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    easier to launch as it sits so high on the trailer but the overhang is probably too much and in VA you would receive a ticket for that. It also will cause the boat to sway too much on single axle with weight too far back. I could go on but the first thing is to mover that boat up on the trailer and then figure a way to make an extension and then go have fun.

16. WayneH

WayneH

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    631 posts, 97 likes
    Tartan 37
    US Pensacola Shipyard, FL
    The boom is missing? and so is the outboard?

Sorry. My dad was forever telling me, "Everybody likes a little ass but no one likes a smart ass." Never did learn that lesson.

17. DAVA390

DAVA390

Joined Jul 13, 2010
    862 posts, 111 likes
    Precision 23
    US Perry Hall,Baltimore County
    On my 18 and now my 23 I use a jack stand at the back end. My 200 lbs is enough to pull a wheelie when climbing boarding ladder.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.