what's wrong here...

Dec 1, 2018
Catalina 22 NJ , PA
I believe the brackets are installed upside down. I can not see the shaft attachment on my boat. Not sure what problems that would cause.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Upside down keel hangers!

What do I win?? :biggrin:
Gene....you win the opportunity to come here for a visit to help flip 'em, free room, board & rum of your choosing. ;)

Can't believe the dumb ass (me) :eek: went thru all that keel dropping exercise 2 years ago and did that....just noticed it recently (as did a neighbor with a C25 w/the same condition!) Guess I win the rookie mistake award.

Don't know if it would cause an issue, sailed it like that nearly 2 years! Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nuthin to it! Just throw a jack under it, and use a cordless to zip the hangers off and flip them over. It's a two-beer job at worst. :)

Edit: Or you could probably sail with it like that forever. LOL

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'm in the same club. I reinstalled mine last summer, and as I'm admiring my finished work, I notice the same thing. Being crouched under the C22 does something to your brain. Gene's right - 2 beers at most.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I'm in the same club. I reinstalled mine last summer, and as I'm admiring my finished work, I notice the same thing. Being crouched under the C22 does something to your brain. Gene's right - 2 beers at most.
I feel better now and not alone...thx HH!
Two beers AFTER, or I might put 'em back on the same way! you're right, I don't like spending time under there with a 550# chunk of cast iron staring me in the face! :yikes:

Apr 11, 2017
I think the root of the problem is they are called "keel hangers," and subconsciously - addled of mind by a position of duress under the C22 - you somehow expect them to hang down. They really should be called "upside down keel hangers," and the problem would be completely solved..

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
HH, astute diagnosis, spot on! They may very well remain as is for this season, no harm IMO....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Nuthin to it! Just throw a jack under it, and use a cordless to zip the hangers off and flip them over. It's a two-beer job at worst. :)

Edit: Or you could probably sail with it like that forever. LOL
balderdash! shoulda left it alone!

Sep 30, 2013
Oh no ... you didn't go and listen to ME, did you? Dammit man, you know better than that! :banghead:

What happened??

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I see one other huge thing wrong that everyone has missed so far. The boat is on the trailer instead of sailing in the water. That is just wrong!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Oh no ... you didn't go and listen to ME, did you? Dammit man, you know better than that! :banghead:

What happened??
Gene...LOL, well, seemed like a 2 beer task to me as well, and your advice is always spot on, I'm well into a bottle of rum, all the expletives I could conjure up, and 2 days! Will report back after (hopefully) finishing up today....stay tuned...

Dave, true dat!

Apr 11, 2017
You know what they say about boat projects... If you still have all your fingers and toes at the end of keel job - it's a success.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Simple task, put a jack under, remove bolts, lower jack enuff to flip the hangers = 2 beers.
However, last haul out keel wasn't centered on the rear trlr roller, so keel was off vertical, maybe 5*....no worries I thought.
Flipped hangers, tried to reinstall properly, bolts wouldn't thread, 2 stripped out....AND one weldment felt like it was stripped, fearing the worst.
Back to Lowes for some all-thread & nutz, 3 hours later still couldn't get the b!tch to line up vertically, jacked many ways, btw, 95* here under boat.
Poured one and left the scene. :beer:
Nxt day, more repositioning the jack(s), finally got it vertical enough for the all-thread thru the hangers and into the weldments, tightened up and hangers into position.
Left the scene and poured two. :beer::beer:
This morning, removed all-thread and inserted one bolt at a time (with blue lok-tite), fortunately I had extra bolts from last drop....all good, all threaded and tightened up properly....whew, NOW it's a 3 beer day & happy ending! :beer::beer::beer:

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Wow. My heart skipped a beat at the word "weldment". I could live another 100 years without hearing that one, and it would still be too soon. I would have been genuinely guilt ridden if ... well, you know.

Sorry it turned out to be such a monstrous PITA. I accept everything you said about me (and my dubious ancestry) while you were under the boat! ;)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
no worries Gene, next boat, if there is one, will be a >86 winged keel!!!
(I shoulda known it would be troublesome with the keel off kilter...)