What's on your TO DO list this winter?

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
For those of us in sates with boats on the hard whats on your To Do list this winter?

For me;
New Main Sail and Strong Track system (already paid for Track and put dept on the sail) Went with a Ullman Edurance Series
Plan on installing new wind instruments as well
and I have some minor crazing to repair from the PO on the starboard side of the haul.
Might redo the bottom paint while I am at it.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Not on the hard but I plan on refinishing the teak. Used A MARINE GRADE polyurethane 8 months ago, absolutely useless.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Sailing is the only boat related priority for half the country. Having lived 'up north' for a long time, I guess it's a common misconception to many that winter means being sailing-deprived.
Sorry to rub it in. Well, not really.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sailing is the only boat related priority for half the country. Having lived 'up north' for a long time, I guess it's a common misconception to many that winter means being sailing-deprived.
Sorry to rub it in. Well, not really.
I almost feel sorry for you guys who never have to take your boats out of the water for the off season. Almost. (see jealous) Our consolation is we are 'forced' into an opportunity for these projects.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I need to get a bottom job done. I've got to plumb the fridge drain into a contained shower sump. Start thinking about painting the deck. Fix the gennaker and the 135 (or just order a new 135).

Other than that I'm gonna sail the thing.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have a few things on my list for this new to us boat, I am thinking about completely stripping the bottom and starting anew (found a homemade stripper recipe on this site that sounds like it works well), I have a LP solenoid to replace for the stove, I have purchased the solenoid just have to change it out and then I will do some more boat familiarization while I have it on the hard.
The mast mounted TV antenna doesn't seem to work but I think it may be disconnected where it chases down inside the cabin, something else on the list is I need to replace (3) D4 batteries (not looking forward to that) from both the weight and also the expense. I would also like to do some investigative maintenance such as lubricating the steering linkages, rudder bearing and adding oil to the turn signal reservoir.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I spent last winter doing all my major boat projects under the "boat-port" (cold). We hope to sail at least a few times, but mostly I'll be working in my nice warm shop on some hot rod projects this winter. :thumbup:

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Oil? I thought it was called blinker fluid? Geez, did I use the wrong stuff?

Are muffler bearings directional? I.e. do they have a front?

And, since I'm OT, happy thanksgiving!
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Oil? I thought it was called blinker fluid? Geez, did I use the wrong stuff?

Are muffler bearings directional? I.e. do they have a front?

And, since I'm OT, happy thanksgiving!
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
Its only called fluid when its on a power boat, oil is for sail powered vessels it increases lubricity and makes the boat go roughly .5 kts faster.
Don't know about the muffler bearings, I replaced mine a few years back and don't remember what direction I was facing when I tightened it down.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Wonder how I'm going to fix a 1/8 in hole i drilled through the hull. Below the waterline. :/

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Install another electrical circuit for air conditioner.
Refinish companionway ladder.
Replace UV cover on Genoa.
Haulout for bottom paint & compound/wax.
Gotta get this all wrapped up by April!!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Gonna hang out in So Fla and make weekly posts to facebook about the temps here! Gotta exercise that mean streak somehow