What's Her Name?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Whe we got her she was called the Linda Loca (crazy Linda).
A literal translation of Linda Loco is "crazy beautiful".

The schooner I lived on as a kid was school bus yellow and named Sunflower (the boatyard called her the floating school bus, 'cause of us three kids on board). I named my pram Sunflower Seed. My hobie was Solea, my wife, the Sun worshipper, named her. She also came up with 'Dragonfly' after telling me she's my boat, I should name her. It has dragon in the name, that's cool, yet it's feminine too. Perfect for a daysailer.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
we changed her name to Sanctuary so that when I was out sailing and folks called the church looking for me the person could say, "Sorry, he's not available...he's in the Sanctuary."
Nice,
I saw another boat that was named o-fish-al business. I can only assume that his secretary tells people that he can't be reached because he's out of the office on official business.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Not personally a fan of trite boat names but if it ain't mine, it ain't my business.
My first boat, A Macgregor 26S, I renamed to SERENITY. Another fan of SciFi. I aimed to misbehave.
2nd boat, Cal 2-27, I renamed to HALCYON.
My current boat is an Allied Seawind MkII Ketch. The old girl has had at least 3 names over her 40 years and will get a new name more fitting to a fine old lady when I haul her out for a refit in the coming weeks. Currently in first place for consideration is FADED ROSE.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Slainte_Sept_2017_4.jpg
Slainte
Sláinte is the basic form in Irish Gaelic. Variations of this toast include sláinte mhaith "good health" in Irish Gaelic (mhaith being the lenited form of maith "good").

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
My boat was originally named Drum, I'm a Methodist minister so we changed her name to Sanctuary so that when I was out sailing and folks called the church looking for me the person could say, "Sorry, he's not available...he's in the Sanctuary." (Can I get a rimshot please?)
LOL- knew a guy in Florida whose boat was "the Office" for the same reason :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm pretty sure that Andiamo is Italian for We go. I think that "I'm going" is Sto andando.
Our son speaks fluent Italian, I'll have to ask him.

When he named his first boat (cost a dollar), he chose an Italian slang of Andiamo, which he tells us is just, "NAMO".

Thanks to instant messaging, I asked what Andiamo means, and he says:

It literally translates to “we go”, but it really means “let’s go”

So if for some reason you need to say “we go somewhere” you use andiamo

And if you want to say hey guys let’s go! You say andiamo!

Jim is right, he says there is no "I" component in words that end in "iamo"

If you want to say “I come” you would say “vengo”. And I know it because I lived there for almost 4 years! (pasting sons text).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
he chose an Italian slang of Andiamo, which he tells us is just, "NAMO".
Based on the choice of slang, I'm going to guess that he was somewhere in the south of Italy, or that he was frequently speaking to southerners.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Based on the choice of slang, I'm going to guess that he was somewhere in the south of Italy, or that he was frequently speaking to southerners.
That could be where the slang term Namo came from(he had friends in Southern Italy). He learned the Roman Italian dialect living and going to school in Trastevere, Rome. It's funny how Italians mention his Roman accent as it varies widely from South to North(Rome of course is central).

He went to John Cabot and was one of 3 students in the country to win the Premio America medal. The award is given to students that learn the language and immerse themselves in the local Italian culture. He took two of his Italian professors(visiting the US and Maine) sailing this summer, on NAMO.

I love Italy! Jim, you know a lot about the language. What's your connection to the country?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Well the Hunter 28 we had was called French Temper - the admiral is French Canadian, her Chris Craft runabout is called French Kiss, and her pink kayak was named French Tickler by some club members, and of course the dinghy was called French Tender.

Just seemed to be a theme for us, and was fun as well. We always do a naming ceremony for our boats and make it into a big party.

Current boat, Islander 41 Freeport Ketch came with the name Desiderata. We are considering a new name for her when we get a chance.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Not my boat, but a friend had a couple they were:

Good Trade (he sold an old Hunter 25 and bought his Pearson 31 and had money left over)
Foreign Trade (he had a small boat he kept in Panama)
He had his dinghy named, Good Deal.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Not my boat, but a friend had a couple they were:

Good Trade (he sold an old Hunter 25 and bought his Pearson 31 and had money left over)
Foreign Trade (he had a small boat he kept in Panama)
He had his dinghy named, but at the moment I can't remember it.
Good Trade is at Lake Murray Sailing Club now. Robert and I have become good friends. Thanks for sharing him!

Attachments