What's Her Name?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Our Hunter 44DS is Maxine, after our beloved miniature Dachshund who we lost back in the day. Our dinghy is named Wink after another Dachsy, another day. Our Whaler is called Tashmoo, after our home in Maine.
Great thread Simon.
Rick

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Our M25 is Silent Running, from the old si-fi movie. and our little V17 is Aye Pod,..... cause I like the name ;) .

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When we bought her she was a him, ABU (meaning "father of" in Arabic), well that just wouldn't do...we re-named and re-gendered her to MAIA, which is why I suspect we have had issues with the tranny. :)

MAIA in mythology is one of the Pleiades....not to mention that she has quite a nice figure.....
MAIA I love that name, Nat. You take your boats seriously.

We changed the name of our boat (all our boats). People often ask why the name? "Was it a gift?",...no...

Xmas denotes a special, secular, event or for us. It has connections to our marriage, family, home, love. It is a strong word, for a well loved boat.
Launched 2017 (1 of 1).jpg

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
My first boat, a gray hull, white deck Mirage 24, was named Shadowfax- the silver grey horse that ran faster than the wind
After damage from another boat that bounced thru the mooring area during a storm she was changed to a Pierson blue hull color and christened Mermaid.
This started the tradition- another Mermaid cal2-29 and my email - nptmerman (live in Newport, Ri)
AND then after a 2nd marriage-this time to a competitive sailor - we combined the names of our two previous boats (after selling to buy) on a Catalina 36. From her Blue Moon and my Mermaid to ... Lunea - Lun from hers and Ea from mine ( Ea = Babylon for Mermaid).
And on to the current vessel Sirene, = Mermaid in French ... but of course since its French boat.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Well, I'm on my third boat. The first was Mni Ole, 16 foot AMF Sunbird. Mni Ole is Sioux for Seeker of Water. My second was Unole! which means Wind! in Sioux. I bought her from a good friend and changed her name because I didn't want to take everything from him. When I traded the boat back to him for a lot of interior work on my latest boat, he promptly changed the name back. The latest boat is named Impetuous and she is documented so we didn't want the hassle of changing the name with the Coast Guard.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Belle-Vie was named by the PO and we liked it, so it stayed. Translates from French/Canadian into, "The Good Life".

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I once bought a boat in San Francisco named "OM" with the corresponding Sanskrit symbol, just to add to the name surrealism the original owner was a John Paul Jones.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We renamed our new boat Souleil as a play on words on Soleil adding the Soul as that is what it is for me and my wife. Soleil is defined in French-The sun
also

A very velupsious girl and pretty.

So overall a fitting name for our Souleil!
1D3F1AF9-1F35-4864-826C-440C44571617.jpeg

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
O'day 23 named "no hurry" always get a kick out of that name as we tow her :)
Thought of changing the name but really can't come up with anything fitting.
As an aside, that Alden looks stunning!

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
My boat was originally named Drum, I'm a Methodist minister so we changed her name to Sanctuary so that when I was out sailing and folks called the church looking for me the person could say, "Sorry, he's not available...he's in the Sanctuary." (Can I get a rimshot please?)