What's a yacht?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Conversation with my dear wife earlier today:

She Who Must Be Obeyed: It would be nice if we had a yacht.
Me: We have a yacht.
SWMBO: We don't have a yacht; you have a sailboat.
Me: Oh. Right. What's a yacht?
SWMBO: You know. Like what Tiger Woods has.
Me: That thing cost $20 million!
SWMBO: So?
Me: My darling, we’re not just in a different league - we’re in a different universe!

That got me thinking: what's a “yacht”? The Brits seem to call a yacht anything that floats. I even subscribe to their periodical Yachting. No Privacy's featured there. But here in the US, what, in your opinion, makes a boat a yacht?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Actually, Tiger's original motor yacht "Privacy" was around 120 ft and set him back more like $100 M. As befits a man whose net worth at that time was around $1.5 B.
I was brought up that anything with a sail on it is a yacht, right down to an 8 ft Turnabout.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A yacht these days is a self-righting, self-bailing sailboat with a galley and an auxillary inboard engine, usually a diesel. Typically used for pleasure boating.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A yacht is not what we sail!
IMO, a yacht is in bristol condition at all times, be it powered by wind or engine. Topsides polished, varnish so deep you can fall into it, windows and glass spot and finger-printless. An engine room or space that you could serve food from the floor or machinery.
I've been the captain on them and wouldn't particularly like to live that way in my own home (boat). Basically an operational showpiece.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A yacht is not what we sail!
IMO, a yacht is in bristol condition at all times, be it powered by wind or engine. Topsides polished, varnish so deep you can fall into it, windows and glass spot and finger-printless. An engine room or space that you could serve food from the floor or machinery.
I've been the captain on them and wouldn't particularly like to live that way in my own home (boat). Basically an operational showpiece.
A yacht is any size boat that you can't possibly afford to pay someone else to maintain for you.
I always thought of a yacht just as capta and Ted both state, but with the addition that you neither do the upkeep yourself nor sail her yourself. Therefore, a yacht is, simply put, floating dept. Thus most pleasure boat owners own a yacht.
Now yachting is different. One can go yachting on any pleasure boat. It's all about the hat.

And the crevat.

-Will (Dragonfly)