what would you do? sailing off dock w/ no engine

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Many good responses but the majority say get a motor.
From a retired sailboat dealer familiar with the O'Day regardless of how well versed and/or experienced, you are at a disadvantage with the winds constantly blowing toward the ramp with docks, boats, rocks, shallow area and so forth. Even those with skills, there is one major disadvantage. What about that sudden gust of wind which you have no control over. I recall an O'Day with the same circumstances and a very respected and experienced sailor. He heeded my advice to keep his insurance up but found that sudden gusts damaging other boats and his as well was not his cup of tea. He purchased a motor. He also was injured too once. For the safety or your crew as well as yourself, I suggest biting the bullet and buying a motor.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
How long is the dock that 22 not very heavy get sails up and luffing pull boat back all way to shore get a running start down dock and jump in. Pull in sails and your gone

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
BlowMeAway--Launching from Bear Run is a silly idea for a sailboat. Besides, I dry moor with the mast up at this ramp.
LNL, I apologize if you thought my suggestion to launch from Bear Run was silly. I am not familiar with Lake Arthur, therefore simply suggesting another launch point, perhaps on the south side of the lake where wind would be favorable to push away from shore, and offer a lot more control coming back. I guess I also believed with the C22 that you trailer it.

Looking at Navionics, Lake Arthur has several boat ramps which appear to have significant depth gradient for your ship. I'm assuming also that some of these ramps may have obstruction or other objects which limit keel boat passage into the deeper channels.

I've attached a couple images which show Lake Arthur to be a very truncated water feature. In my mind there is a lot of potential areas where you might find yourself in a world of hurt if the wind decides to become confused. That is the only reason I suggested a motor.

Truth is...we are attempting to help you become a better sailor!

IMG_0657.PNG
IMG_0658.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
You can lead a horse to water...
As you found out. A sailboat doesn't immediately start beating into the wind from a dead stop.

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
LNL, I apologize if you thought my suggestion to launch from Bear Run was silly. I am not familiar with Lake Arthur, therefore simply suggesting another launch point, perhaps on the south side of the lake where wind would be favorable to push away from shore, and offer a lot more control coming back. I guess I also believed with the C22 that you trailer it.

Looking at Navionics, Lake Arthur has several boat ramps which appear to have significant depth gradient for your ship. I'm assuming also that some of these ramps may have obstruction or other objects which limit keel boat passage into the deeper channels.

I've attached a couple images which show Lake Arthur to be a very truncated water feature. In my mind there is a lot of potential areas where you might find yourself in a world of hurt if the wind decides to become confused. That is the only reason I suggested a motor.

Truth is...we are attempting to help you become a better sailor!

View attachment 140509 View attachment 140510
MY apologies--I was confusing Bear Run with another ramp.

HOWEVER, I dry moor the boat with the mast up at this ramp, and it's what I'm stuck with.

I know of two other largish boats (24' is the max on this lake, I think) that sail with no motor. One is a couple I see constantly paddling in and out of the marina. Another is a 23 footer that launches on and off the same dock as me. I never would have thought to hang up the motor without their bad examples.

The wind gets very confused in many places on this lake, especially coming around that first point and really, the whole way to Nealy's. However, being forced to deal with it rather than just motor through has made me, and continues to make me, a better sailor.

for all the "buy a motor" people: I have one. It stopped working, and I haven't worked out why yet, mostly because I'd rather spend a day off sailing than futzing with a two-stroke. I'll fix it or not over the winter, but yeah, of course I'm going to get some sort of motor for the boat by next season. Not having one is too limiting. But that's not the point of this discussion.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
Couldn't resist this one. Oday 22? No motor? No problem. No sails required. How? Sculling with the rudder. Saw this demonstrated during the J24 worlds back in the late seventies. They don't use motors to cut down on weight. Of course I had to try it on my Oday 22. By rocking the boat port and starboard and shifting the rudder a surprising amount of forward motion can be generated. Start by straddling the tiller. Begin rocking the boat either port or starboard and at the same time move the tiller to that side of the boat. Then rock back to the other side and move your tiller accordingly. You don't need to pump the thing like a madman just use a rhythmic motion. As the boat returns upright from one side use it to begin the motion to the other side. I have used this on my Oday 27 with some success though it is a much heavier boat and won't respond as well as a light 22. Give it a try, it's fun wowing the crowds. Sorry wheel boats it only works with tillers.
I'm going to have to try this.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
Kind of a bummer to see so many people tell this guy to get a motor.
Especially since this is a question/discussion about sailing technique.

It's like a hiker asking the best way to the top of Mount Washington (NH) and being told "Drive up the Auto Road."

Yeah, driving is safer and easier but misses the point entirely.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When sailing 14-20 ft center board and shoal draft keel boats I often grabbed a paddle and sat on the bow to bring the boat to or away from a dock. I found paddling caused less wear on the rudder pinion associated with rudder sculling. It is work but you can make headway and steer the boat. Only issue is if more than one boat is paddling the risk of a water fight with paddles splashing is real.

But the problem is the OP wanted to get off the dock in 10 mph of wind. Paddling or sculling will not work in a breeze.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Head Sail is correct. But I think if he were to bring in his jib a little to create some kind of initial lift, even at the dock, he should be able to move forward after releasing the dock lines. I know this technique works with smaller boats. I also know that this boat is heavier but if he can get a little lift at first he should start forward motion. At least enough to bring the headsail in a little more for more power. I could be terribly wrong about this.

@Don Guillette for his thoughts.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Only two launch spots at that ramp. You are lucky to have a place that must be rarely used so that you are not making others wait and really pissing them off for the additional time that is going to be required to launch and tying up the ramp. Your lucky.. I could not do that at any ramps where I have to launch and some ramps get very aggressive.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think the easiest would be to get a tow out if available. Definitely would get a push pole to keep me off and push me along the shallows. Was this a one time situation or are the prevalent winds on this ramp frequently on the nose? If so, I would find another ramp or sailing venue. Motors are for people that have limited time and want to be able to depart and arrive when they want to. They would also not want to sacrifice a good day for sailing for not being able to get off the dock. Practicing boat handling is always a good thing and it can be done whether the boat has an auxiliary engine or not.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I had a little 4 hp. johnson on our O'day Daysailer so if the wind piped up or I was feeling uncomfortable, I had some control...unfortunately, it fell off the boat in to 4 ft. of water at a boat ramp and I never saw it again..so I bought a bigger boat with a bigger motor....Pat

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bummer. As they say with sail boats... It is always something.

Time to become friendly with a sewing machine...

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
I feel your pain. Your sled is just bigger than mine. 9 times out of ten at my preferred beach launch site, the wind is on the beach out of the west. In my case there is a sort of cove to port, so no go. There is a rock pile to starboard that sticks out to protect a makeshift kayak portage. The beach is shoaled badly at high tide for 100 yards out. The snipe does not point without the board, at all. First few times out I jumped out to prevent collision with the riprap. Practice makes perfect. I am somewhat proficient now at just tipping the board in enough to prevent the crawl, and holding the rudder down just enough to clear the sand and still steer. Nothing is ever for certain, but I do not dread the exercise anymore. Sorry about your sail.
Eric

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, my mainsail tore today so this is all academic for the moment
All the more reason to learn to sail with headsail alone. It is a learning experience. You will benefit from this.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Fix your motor or get a replacement. Take a look at the Lehr 5HP. It runs on a single Coleman tank of propane. We use ours for the dinghy. Just saying...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You effectively sprung yourself off to port by going to starboard. You could spring yourself off to port by going to the end of the dock, wrapping a line from your starboard stern cleat around the dock cleat and back to the boat. Keep fenders between you and the end of the dock. Haul the line to bend the bow of the boat to windward. Haul your sails to close hauled. As the boat pulls away, you ease the line.
Good luck.