What type of keel is this?

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I noticed this keel on a 38 hunter and was wondering if anyone knew what type of keel this was? And why is it different from your typical keels that you see.

Thank you

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It is a shoal-draft wing keel. It is typical of 80’s design. This example is very nicely faired and painted. It may even be a custom shape although I cannot imagine why one would go to the trouble of customizing a keel unless it was being replaced, but that just opens up other questions.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Thank you and for reference this is on a 2009 Hunter 38ft. It is original from factory or at least I think so...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is a Wing Keel, its design is somewhat similar to a Bulb Keel which allows significant ballast weight without increasing the draft. Besides the weight the wing keel is intended to generate a downward force and help in pointing ability but its main function is to perform as a shallow draft keel. It has a downside and that is that if the boat grounds in sand the keel can bury itself like an anchor. Also you may not heel the boat to scape a grounding. The secret to escaping a soft grounding would be to turn and point the boat to deeper water and then push forward while turning the wheel back and forth from port to starboard. Shifting crew weight to the stern also can help. You will enjoy that keel in Florida.