What type of jib halyard

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
The scariest part on my Hunter 23.5 is raising the mast. I don't know how safe the jib halyard is (which is needed for lifting) looks good but is it? So to be safe I thought about replacing it. West Marine has line on sale. But there are many to choose from. What type do people recommend?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That's easy … shop SBO for halyards. Personally, I would look at the high-tech double braids. I have Warp Speed halyards but I think the Validator or MLX are also good choices. For strength, 5/16" (8 mm) will work fine. 1/4" is too small to handle nicely, I think. If you look at XLS or Sta Set, then figure on 3/8".

Read a little bit on-line about those products and you will get an idea about what you prefer. These are most-often personal choices. If you think your halyard is sketchy, by all means, change it out. You will be glad you did. Do yourself a favor and have a shackle spliced to one end and have the other end whipped by the store. They do a great job.

Dave is showing you the standard product specification for your boat - that's the easy way to go about it. You can have the halyard made to your own specification and choose your own line diameter if you wish. I notice that the line diameters aren't shown on the product selections. I would ask about that so you know what you are buying. Or order the halyard with the product, length and diameter that you choose. Either way … it's your choice.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Look at New England Ropes VPC. It has a polyester cover and a high tech core. Very low stretch with performance comparable to more expensive high tech lines.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I second the choice of New England Ropes VPC line for lower cost low stretch lines. I use 5/16” halyards on my C30. I agree with @Scott T-Bird that 1/4” is a bit small to grip.
For lines you handle a lot 3/8” works for me but for halyards I prefer 5/16”.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Actually raising the mast on that boat shouldn't be much different from a loaded sail. It's pretty amazing how much force a sail can add.

Ken