What to wear offshore (NE US) end of May?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Honestly, I generally wear cotton turtlenecks in the winter because they feel better next to my skin and I have a lot of them. But I will wear synthetics if I feel there is risk of getting wet. I only wear synthetics when skiing, because I know I will sweat. "No cotton" is one of those rules we all know, and then break when we feel like it. Pretty funny, actually. That said, I've gotten wet in cotton enough times to understand the roots of the rule. It's a good rule.
Agree that cotton retaining moisture is a killer in cold climates. The most brutal I have experienced is surprisingly during the summer when baked by the sun then after sundown the dampness chills one to the bone. Day sails are one issue but longer duration voyages are another matter.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hey 25, go back there and give me 48 hours on the water, two midnight watches.... Report out.
Only if you tell me how to stay comfortable in the hell that is Maryland. My son is a PhD candidate at UMBC and every time I go to visit it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity. The boat show was so freaking hot last fall I vowed once was enough. My cotton shirt was soaked through.:wink:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@25yearslater the conversation is about cotton clothes on a boat in the spring with nighttime temps in the 40’s and waves that break over the boat sharing 50degree water or colder.
Cotton clothing in Maryland during the summer time even drenched with a glass of ice water can be very comfortable.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
@25yearslater the conversation is about cotton clothes on a boat in the spring with nighttime temps in the 40’s and waves that break over the boat sharing 50degree water or colder.
Cotton clothing in Maryland during the summer time even drenched with a glass of ice water can be very comfortable.
Cotton, polyester or blends are not your major issue. Keeping a well regulated body temp is the key. Remaining dry whether from inside or out is the essence of the issue. Prevent sweating (inside) or doused by waves (outside) need to work in harmony. Foul weather gear is great for keeping external moisture out but lousy for dissipating internal moisture. Undergarments are great for wicking moisture from the body but not so much for external moisture. Finding the balance to keep a body temp low enough to prevent sweating while wearing foulies seems to work. A delicate balancing act to be sure. I find I can function for long duration in extreme cold, think Ft, Drum in January for a month in the field, with a core temp around 97 - 97.5 degrees.

Oct 22, 2014
I hear you. I think it is better to be cold then hot and humid. Actually temperature in moderation is best. Maybe that is why so many of the worlds populations focus on locations with Moderate climates.

Oct 22, 2014
AC is good... Wet t-shirt is also a solution.
Because the other images would get the wrath of the Robot Guards on this sight down on my head...

teeshirt.jpg
And it's Mothers day... So here you go Moms.... or should I say... Bad Moms.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
What was the consensus...
For me the ugly bas!@#d in lower left, I was good as long as the hood was up. The fluorescent yellow is simply tres chic. The cotton/synthetic hoodie was worthless against the wind alone but was warm under the foulies. Tanya models a wool turtle neck with a nylon shell over and jeans. Good for warmth not so much for water. Wet but warm after the initial splash. Joaquim in all black is fashionable in synthetic wear with waterproof outer shell. Quite comfortable he reported.

Oct 22, 2014
I let weather and conditions dictate clothing. Shorts sometimes, Dry suit other times. Certainly cotton comes in to play. Bit the original post was early spring, off shore in New England latitudes. I'd be looking for my Irish Wool sweater, my bib foulies, fleece, wool socks and a wool cap. Then I would hope I could strip down in blue sky, 75 degree breezy sailing.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A Powerstretch balclava with a fleece cap over it has everything else buried. Won't blow off and seals the neck and cheeks, reducing major heat leaks and drafts. Nearly universal for skiers these days, for good reason. Water repellent versions, made for sea kayakers, work in all weather--a lot of the Volvo guys like them. Add ski goggles below 45F.

Far more BTUs saved than a thick coat, better visibility than a hood.

I sail all winter.

It's below freezing. I'm warm.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
The ears might get a bit chilled but the jacket looks familiar. As for sailing in New England, if we are talking about Maine, only a drunken drug addled mental defective sails there. The two times I sailed into Portland convinced me of that. There isn't anything that gives relief from the cold clammy pea soup fog ridden misery. I had to go there twice to make sure of course. The only relief I found was suck it up and head for southern latitudes. The deep blue color of the water there is something to behold however.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The cap is 100% wool; it doesn't blow off and it doesn't "ride-up" like a beanie will. It can take some light rain, and it's warm.;) Me ears usually don't get cold in the So. Cal wind but when they do I can pull up the collar on the Henri Lloyd a bit further and/or add the cashmere scarf. If the rain gets too wet, I can pull the attached hood of the Henri Lloyd over the woolen cap, etc.

It works well for me at the helm. BUT, I'd probably do something different if I was working the foredeck in a wet, windy race.

A morning departure from Ventura Harbor in AUGUST!!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Thanks all for your replies. The thoughts about base layers and new-tech fabrics reinforce some of what I've already thought. (I've long appreciated the effectiveness of layers, with old-tech fabrics.) I had already decided to wear a turtleneck at night with one or two layers of polar fleece under my foul weather shell. For headwear I have a thin silk balaclava (bought long ago for downhill skiing) which I would wear in combination with a fleece neck gator and watch cap. Easy to remove pieces if I get too warm.

Someone mentioned ski goggles, and I think that's a great idea. Years ago I was crewing a delivery after the Annapolis boat show, bringing the boat up to North NJ. The overnight temps were in the 40's and we motored into a ~20kt headwind. The boat's dodger had poor quality clear plastic and we couldn't see s^*t ahead without peering around -- my eyes watered so much in the cold wind that it was a problem to see clearly at all.

While I was shopping for updated stuff I also found this light packable down jacket, which seems to be a nice-to-have option as an alternative layer beneath my foul weather jacket. TBD until I receive it and see if it has too much bulk. The polar fleece may be a better choice, especially considering ability to dry out quickly. Maybe I'll bring both options. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR2MMSH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Mar 26, 2011
I don't see no beanies or flat hats. Caps for cool weather, balaclavas for cold weather. Form follows functions, fashion is for girls (just playin' with you;)).

Mar 26, 2011
... While I was shopping for updated stuff I also found this light packable down jacket, which seems to be a nice-to-have option as an alternative layer beneath my foul weather jacket. TBD until I receive it and see if it has too much bulk. The polar fleece may be a better choice, especially considering ability to dry out quickly. Maybe I'll bring both options. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR2MMSH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
Skip the down. Really.

I switch to ski googles below about 45F, depending on the wind. Just store them in a sock. Avoid double lenses (I like them for skiing, but rain can get between them, depending on the vent locations).