What to wear offshore (NE US) end of May?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Cotton absorbs and retains water (sweat or otherwise) and becomes a body temperature conductive layer, heavy and chafing. Hypothermia. Polyester does not absorb water and will keep you warm even if wet if not subject to evaporative cooling. Spend 8 hours a day wet in either and you will toss the cotton.
If you think you are going in the water for any time, then you need a closed cell neoprene wet suit or dry suit to survive. You will enjoy sailing more in a dry suit. For really cold water you want polypropylene under either. But that is a whole other situation than sitting in a damp boat in damp clothing. I have spent a lot of time in cold water and working in wet gear, there is very little safety margin. And once you go over to hypothermia you become a liability to your crew who have to attend to your medical emergency. On my boat the rule is Cotton Kills, suitable only for a narrow range of boating conditions.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mens-Single-Pleat-White-Pants-9951.jpg
KG But what happens when the 30 foot waves start breaking green water over the boat. Then the cotton pants need to be cleaned... Those white cotton pants don't look as good then.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I guess these are all important points. If the cockpit is being boarded with green water throughout the night or day and it's running up your legs and into your boots, so your socks are wet, your pants under the bibs are wet, your gloves are wet, and it's COLD water, then I concede that you might not want to be wearing cotton clothing if there is something better out there to protect against hypothermia, etc., which evidently there is. So, I suppose the Nays have it.:yeah:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I was considering doing a charter to the Canadian Maritimes, but I think I've changed my mind!!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If the cotton clothing gets wet or damp from perspiration, and the perspiration cannot evaporate, then I don't expect that just because it's wet or damp means you're going to cool down:what:. My cotton (actually 80% cotton) sweat pants under the Gruden bibs, if wet or damp from perspiration, cannot evaporate it easily, etc. But if outside the bibs, exposed to the usually cold, dry wind, then YES!; I would get cold very quickly in the wet or damp cotton sweat pants. :yikes: Aside, I've found it much more comfortable to wear the sweats under the bibs, than to wear jeans or other types of cotton pants under the bibs, etc.
This is so funny. Heck, I don't think I've ever had jeans on a boat I've owned. They just don't make sense on the water. And why are we talking as though 60F water is cold? In much of the world it never gets that warm.

(This is cold water. Spent 6 hours in there. So boring I brought a book. In point of fact, I did have a cotton T on, but it didn't get wet.)

The other thing to consider with the OP's passage is that cotton and wool are nearly impossible to dry on a boat, and impossible if the weather is wet (high humidity). Synthetics, on the other hand, can be worn dry in the cabin so long as you can get out of the wind. Thus, I'm not in favor of anything that does not dry easily, and that includes insulated coats (shell plus fleece is easier to dry).

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
At the end of July in the Saint Lawrence seaway, we had a cold front come through and the boat had only one of those Mr. Buddy unvented propane heaters, which we ran for a little while in the evening and then in the morning. That was a pretty chilly night, had to supplement my blanket with the mustang worksuit.....which I then wore in the cold rain the next day. It was kind of wet inside, but it was warm.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
And why are we talking as though 60F water is cold? In much of the world it never gets that warm.
Global sea surface temps. Green regions are near 62 deg F. Mercator projection, so areas at mid to high latitudes are distorted--i.e., appear greater than they actually are. I'd say that waters 60 F and warmer are more common than not.
sglobal.cf.gif

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Global sea surface temps. Green regions are near 62 deg F. Mercator projection, so areas at mid to high latitudes are distorted--i.e., appear greater than they actually are.
View attachment 150186
In mid-summer you are mostly right. But look at New England, inside the Gulf Stream, England, and the Baltic. There's a lot of population up there.

Current is below. Light green is 50F, 62F is orange, and the OP is in the green right now.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yes, in those areas of the world where sailboat ownership or charter is high per capita it is colder than 60-62F on the water probably most of the time, the big exceptions being FL and the Caribbean Sea.

Also, fleece was evidently invented in MA; so that might account some for its popular use in and near New England. Although, I recognize that it is now a global affair like most other good products.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Once you get your layers figured out, also consider a pair of boots. You can get lite weight ones from companies like Bimini Bay & I think Croc or Bullfrog. The cheap ones are like $25. They hardly weigh anything & you can stuff them with other clothes when packing so that they don't take up much space. I always bring a pair on any NE delivery that is not in the dead of summer. You would be amazed at how cold you can feel when you are bundled up like the Michelin Man, but have cold water running across you wet deck shoes. It's a night & day difference.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I know it's slightly off topic but @JimInPB mentioned Bimini Bay and I just have to mention my favourite shirts for sailing in sunshine, the Bimini Bay Flats III long sleeve. I always pack one of these for sailing. They are light weight, durable and they breath well.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yes, deck boots are required for those cold rainy / spray-filled days. Until I can justify springing for a pair of expensive Dubarry sea boots I make do with Rugged Shark rubber deck boots. Non-slip, no mar soles and just the right height. Buy them a tad big and pair them with a fleece socks. Make sure your foulies go over the boot top (had a guy show up once with his pants tucked into his fancy sea boots like Roy Rogers!)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
:laugh: You guys are so funny. I wonder what the frog has to say?:wink:
Funny. I was sorta thinking you should wear cotton until you fall overboard. Then have your crew throw you polyester to change into until rescued. Problem solved.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I couldn't resist so I put it to the test today. Lake Ontario, wind NE @ 15, water temp 37, substantial spray. Clothing: cotton underwear, wool shirt, jeans, cotton socks, hoodie with polyester lining and cotton outer shell, 3rd reef bibs and jacket with hood up, standard leather sneaker. 4 hours warm and comfy. Your results may vary.

Mar 26, 2011
I couldn't resist so I put it to the test today. Lake Ontario, wind NE @ 15, water temp 37, substantial spray. Clothing: cotton underwear, wool shirt, jeans, cotton socks, hoodie with polyester lining and cotton outer shell, 3rd reef bibs and jacket with hood up, standard leather sneaker. 4 hours warm and comfy. Your results may vary.
Honestly, I generally wear cotton turtlenecks in the winter because they feel better next to my skin and I have a lot of them. But I will wear synthetics if I feel there is risk of getting wet. I only wear synthetics when skiing, because I know I will sweat. "No cotton" is one of those rules we all know, and then break when we feel like it. Pretty funny, actually. That said, I've gotten wet in cotton enough times to understand the roots of the rule. It's a good rule.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Hey 25, go back there and give me 48 hours on the water, two midnight watches.... Report out.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... Until I can justify springing for a pair of expensive Dubarry sea boots I make do with Rugged Shark rubber deck boots. Non-slip, no mar soles and just the right height. Buy them a tad big and pair them with a fleece socks. Make sure your foulies go over the boot top (had a guy show up once with his pants tucked into his fancy sea boots like Roy Rogers!)
Those Dubarrys are nice. I don't have a pair myself, but everyone I know that does have them, raves about them.

The Rugged Shark boots do have a good deck grip, & they have enough of a heel, so that you can run up rungs, like you find on a tuna tower, without slipping off. As much as I like their sure-footed feel, they are a bit on the heavy side, which is the reason why I did not recommend them in this case. Unfortunately for me, they don't come in half sizes. I squeeze into a 10 with very thin dress socks & I have a loose fit in an 11, even with Thorlo extreme weather socks. As Gunni recommended, don't get them to tight.

Last edited: