What to look for when considering to purchase a used 26S

Dec 29, 2016
MacGregor 26S Portsmouth, NJ
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a MacGregor 26s and am looking for input from owners as to what key areas to inspect prior to purchase. While there are general things to look out for in all sailboats, I'm hoping to grasp at owner's knowledge of the 26S to understand anything specific to keep my eyes out for.

Thank You greatly in advance,

Christen

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a '92 for 10 years. They are very basic. Not much if anything is unique to them. Deck leaks, blisters, outboards, sails, etc are all common areas of concerns. I would only caution you to be wary of previous owners' mods. That said, I replaced my rudder with an Idasailor foil rudder and led all lines aft. Also added a CDI furler.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
As mentioned, leaks from rain water are common around the chain plates and windows and maybe the deck. The first are easy to fix. I'd be sure to have them put the boat in the water and out if it isn't all ready in the water. If it is in the water I'd like to see them retrieve it to the trailer once so that you could give the trailer a good look over and make sure there are no surprises there. In the water you would get a better idea of the sails, outboard and the rigging.

Our biggest single outlay was for a new outboard that had electric start so that both of us could easily start it. Next was for new sails, but we did sail (or tried to while learning) on older sails. If the running rigging is old that can be an expense also, more that one would think.

The trailer should also be inspected for extreme rust. Minor rust can be dealt with and other items on the trailer, such as springs, shackles, hubs and such can be replace for not a lot of money but hopefully the trailer is still functional.

I wouldn't necessarily steer away from a boat with mods if they have been done in a manner that will benefit your use of the boat and are well done. I've done a lot of mods and my boat would not be the best for someone who only wants to day sail but if someone wanted to do longer trips it would be a different story.

Decide how you are going to use the boat and look for mods that will make that more enjoyable. How do you see yourself using the boat?

I love my S and have no regrets buying it and for my/our needs it has been the perfect boat,

Sumner
=======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
As mentioned, leaks from rain water are common around the chain plates and windows and maybe the deck. The first are easy to fix. I'd be sure to have them put the boat in the water and out if it isn't all ready in the water. If it is in the water I'd like to see them retrieve it to the trailer once so that you could give the trailer a good look over and make sure there are no surprises there. In the water you would get a better idea of the sails, outboard and the rigging.

Our biggest single outlay was for a new outboard that had electric start so that both of us could easily start it. Next was for new sails, but we did sail (or tried to while learning) on older sails. If the running rigging is old that can be an expense also, more that one would think.

The trailer should also be inspected for extreme rust. Minor rust can be dealt with and other items on the trailer, such as springs, shackles, hubs and such can be replace for not a lot of money but hopefully the trailer is still functional.

I wouldn't necessarily steer away from a boat with mods if they have been done in a manner that will benefit your use of the boat and are well done. I've done a lot of mods and my boat would not be the best for someone who only wants to day sail but if someone wanted to do longer trips it would be a different story.

Decide how you are going to use the boat and look for mods that will make that more enjoyable. How do you see yourself using the boat?

I love my S and have no regrets buying it and for my/our needs it has been the perfect boat,

Sumner
=======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas
You certainly have sailed the heck out of her Sumner. Great trips!

May 23, 2011
MacGregor 26S Fort Myers
Have you found a boat yet Christen? I bought a 26S a little over a year ago. It's a great boat for here in SW Florida as the water here is very shallow in many areas and there are many shoals. So the shallow draft with the boards up is wonderful. I assume you know all the advantages of the 26S as you have already zeroed in on the model. You have already made Sumner's acquaintance. He's a Mac 26 legend. A good man to know! Anyway, as you are no doubt aware, Macs came with very basic equipment so shopping for one involves shopping for what has been added to it. I wanted a bimini (which I find essential to enjoying a boat in these parts), stern rails (for safety and a place to mount a grill and solar panel), the canvas for the pop top (often missing), a gas stove (not all that expensive to add, but...), and a 4-stroke motor. I didn't get the 4-stroke, but I did get a 10 hp Merc w/electric start, which is very nice. Also the lines were run aft, which for me really isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Now I'm wishing I would have added to my list replaced cushions as mine has the originals and after 27 years they are sorely in need of replacement - my next project. So you get the idea. Just figure out what is important to you and find as much of that on a boat as you can. It's that much less to have to change down the road. A few other things - My rudder and tiller yoke had holes that had been "wallered out" over the years making for sloppy steering. I fixed that by making brass bushings for the tiller yoke and the rudder and replacing the bolts with new ones. This removed all the slop/lash from the system and tightened up the steering nicely. Sumner's mod for raising/lowering the keel from the cockpit is mighty nice. I'm doing that one soon too. You may find a boat with this mod but it seems kinda rare. Not that hard to do it Sum's way though. (vs. routing the line in a hidden way, which I've come to decide is a bad idea) I wasn't looking for a boat with bottom paint but mine happened to have it and then I had the opportunity to keep it at a dock, which has been great. So bottom paint turned out to be essential. So, a few more considerations for you.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
plan on buying new sails
few used boats have good sails
soft flexible like your bed blanket = ornament not usable, will frustrate you, will not sail upwind, will not point
crisp resist, folding, stiff = new and not stretched

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
You might also consider the 26D. Very similar to the S, but a dagger board instead of the swing keel. I love mine. I think the keel on the S is larger and heavier, but the D is one (or maybe three) less holes to worry about. A lot simpler to maintain and fix from what I have read here.

If you have already discarded the D, my apologies for the interruption.

May 23, 2011
MacGregor 26S Fort Myers
I understand the D will point higher and generally sail a bit better due to the fact that there's no big slot in the bottom of the hull like on the S. So if you sail where depth is not an issue the D would be better. And you still have the advantage of being able to pull the dagger board up for beaching or trailering. Also since the D's are older they tend to be a bit cheaper. Here in Southwest Florida shallow water is a huge issue. A keel that simply swings up on its own if it runs into something can be the difference between possible hall damage and a simple bump and move on with no drama. So the S is perfect for me.

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
When I bought "Mistress", I did what I thought was a thorough inspection. What I missed was the back side of the centerboard. It was split for ~12 inches, and you couldn't see it when the board is up. I discovered it on my first launch.
Don't be worried about the tons of dings you are going to find. They can easily be repaired.
If you are handy with tools, you may want a boat that has seen some mods. I have torn "Mistress" apart and upgraded the electrical system, centerboard, lighting, radio, etc. Doing it yourself gives you familiarity with your boat's systems that can't be beat.
Be sure to check out Sumners links and some of the others on this and other Mac forums. There are tons of good ideas.

-James